News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philippe Binette

18 holes or one golf course ?
« on: November 01, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
I just wrote about how some courses are built hole per hole and other as an experience over 18 holes...

Designing for a continuous experience leaves more freedom in the design ? or maybe it doesn't.

Outside the Old Course, which course you know involves continuity as a design features ? and how is it expressed ?

http://binettegolfarchitecture.blogspot.ca/2012/11/playing-18-holes-or-playing-course.html

Mac Plumart

Re: 18 holes or one golf course ?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 11:35:37 PM »
I think all the really good ones are designed as a total 18 hole experience.

You mention The Old Course, but you could easily add NGLA, The Golf Club, Old MacDonald, Sand Hills, Seminole, etc.

On these courses I feel like I am engrossed from start to finish with no interruptions from the engagement with the course.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 08:12:47 AM »
I've been fortunate to learn to play on a golf course where 12 holes out of 13 (6th to 18th, and 13th the exception is a par 3) has OB to the right. Some holes its 25 yards from the fairway but the last 4 holes it's more like 12 yards...

The course, even if short (6100 yards), is a game of survival. You can't let one shot loose on the right... Let's put it this way, it's a hard corse to defend a 6 shot lead at the club championship... It's a fight over 18 holes.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 09:56:57 AM »
For me the obvious answer is Ballyneal.  In my sublime round their with AClayman several years ago I felt as though I teed off at the first and next thing I knew retrieved my ball from the cup at 18.  Even had a hard time remembering specific holes, something that typically comes easy.  I have used the term "seamless" to describe the golf course.  I attribute this to the disciplined consistency of the architecture and the easily walked transitions from green to tee.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mac Plumart

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 02:56:37 PM »
Bogey...

I find your post to be excellent and interesting.

People bag on courses where they have trouble remembering each specific hole, but if all you can recall is what a sublime and engrossing adventure the entire course was...what is wrong with that? 
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back