News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Kardash

Domaine Laforest
« on: October 27, 2012, 08:49:12 PM »
I found out about Domaine Laforest today as I was reading an article in Le Journal de Montreal about Canadian Billionaire Paul Desmarais of Power Corporation who had a golf course built on his 78km2 estate in 2002! The golf course is in Sagard, Quebec, in a super remote area that is quite mountainous. The article also says that is is Desmarais' personal club and only guests to his estate can play.

Here is a google maps image of the course (top right). His mansion is at the bottom left of this screenshot.
https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Sagard,+QC&hl=en&ll=47.984637,-70.101314&spn=0.024358,0.066047&oq=sagard&t=h&hnear=Sagard,+Charlevoix-Est,+Quebec&z=15

Couple questions/comments:
1. McBroom claims it might be his best course, however it is hard to say as no one has ever seen it except for presidents of countries, and apaprently Tiger Woods!
2. Ian Andrew, since you worked for McBroom do you know anything about this place?
3. Apparently the course is as manicured as Augusta National.
4. On average 50 round are played per year!
5. Guests are not allowed to take pictures of the course or of anything on the estate.
6. Are there many courses as exclusive as this? I might have my head in the sand but I have never heard of a course that only 1 person can play!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 09:10:16 PM by matt kardash »
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Tyler Kearns

Re: Domaine Laforest
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 10:44:10 PM »
Matt,

Ian worked for Doug Carrick, not Tom McBroom, so he may not have anything to add.

TK

Ian Andrew

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 11:44:22 PM »
Matt,

I know a former member, he's now at Laval.
He quit because they wouldn't let his kids play.

Members are invited and annual costs are $26,000 (I'm fairly sure).
I've talked to a few guys who have been invited and not one raved about the design.

I didn't work for Tom, but I did interview with Tom in 1985...

It was a strange interview during which we had a disagreement about architecture. He was right into precision placement of tee shots and the aerial approach to greens. I suggested most players need the ground just to play golf and that an open green approach was essential for high handicaps. I used Stanley Thompson courses as an example where they were playable and still challenging. He told me that I had a lot to learn. I agreed and got up to leave knowing I wasn't going to work for him regardless of how this went. I remember him being very suprised that I was leaving and telling me I'd never get work in golf architecture. I smiled and left.

I think his best is Heron Point.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 11:55:37 PM »

I think his best is Heron Point.

Ian, really? Ahead of Rocky Crest?

For anyone interested, my review of Heron Point: http://onegolferstravels.blogspot.ca/2012/07/heron-point-golf-links-course-review.html
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 12:05:54 AM by Mark Saltzman »

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 01:20:01 AM »
I didn't work for Tom, but I did interview with Tom in 1985...

It was a strange interview during which we had a disagreement about architecture. He was right into precision placement of tee shots and the aerial approach to greens. I suggested most players need the ground just to play golf and that an open green approach was essential for high handicaps. I used Stanley Thompson courses as an example where they were playable and still challenging. He told me that I had a lot to learn. I agreed and got up to leave knowing I wasn't going to work for him regardless of how this went. I remember him being very suprised that I was leaving and telling me I'd never get work in golf architecture. I smiled and left.

Great story!! That had to give you a little added incentive when Carrick & McBroom rivalled each other for supremacy in the Canadian market.

TK

Robert Thompson

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 09:57:54 AM »
I suspect Ian is actually thinking of Memphremagog, the other Desmarias' course, located about an hour and a half outside Montreal. It has 40 members. Domaine, as far as I know, has no members.

Both are Thomas McBroom designs. I've played Memphremagog, but not Domaine. I've only ever met one guy who played Domaine, and he was somehow involved with Muskoka Bay.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Matt Kardash

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 12:15:14 PM »
Ian,
OOps, I think I had a brain cramp when I said you worked for McBroom. I guess my brain cramp was worth it as your interview story is pretty interesting. I find it kind of crazy that he out and told you that you would never work in the business. Either your debate really pissed him off or he has some issues!  :-\
Also, I think Robert is right. I think you are thinking of his course of Mempremagog, which has only 40 members and is also owned by Desmarais.
Domaines Laforest has only Desmarais as a member.
Here is an article talkign about Domaine:
http://www.canadianbusiness.com/article/14660--the-fairest-of-fairways-luxury-golf
Here's an article I just found written by Robert himself!  ;)
http://canadiangolfer.com/g4g/2005/09/24/some-truly-private-golf-at-canadas-most-exclusive-golf-clubs-membership-might-reach-200-and-outsiders-likely-cant-beg-borrow-or-steal-a-round/
If you guys can read french then this article talks about the 5 most exclusive courses in Quebec, Domaine and Magog being part of the list:
http://www.lesaffaires.com/passions/sports-et-plein-air/5-terrains-de-golf-quebecois-tres-exclusifs/533212
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 12:20:42 PM by matt kardash »
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Ian Andrew

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 08:56:53 PM »
I suspect Ian is actually thinking of Memphremagog, the other Desmarias' course, located about an hour and a half outside Montreal. It has 40 members. Domaine, as far as I know, has no members.

Robert is correct - I have the two mixed up on membership.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Will Lozier

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 09:52:14 PM »
McBroom's website has these few pics...

http://www.thomasmcbroom.com/portfolio/Domaine.html

Cheers

Matt Kardash

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 11:29:12 PM »
Will,
I saw those pics, but for some reason I feel like I have seen that 3rd pic before, associated with another course, which makes me wonder if those pics are even of Domaine Laforest. Maybe I am crazy.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back