News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philip Spogard

What will happen with the Old Course if a pro shoots 60?
« on: November 30, 2012, 04:01:14 AM »
I wonder what will happen with the renovated/redesigned Old Course, if someone shoots 59/60 during the next Open?

Will that spark a new wave of "improvements", will it deem the course obsolete for tournament play - or will pros and spectators continue to love the course the same?

(I would think the latter - but maybe I am biased?)

Ally Mcintosh

Re: What will happen with the Old Course if a pro shoots 60?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 04:18:27 AM »
Philip,

One of the many things that make me uncomfortable with these changes is that I believe that they will have a negligible effect on the pros scoring at the next Open. 5mph in the wind would do much more damage.

Considering that this is the primary (only?) reason given for the changes... and considering in 2010, in decent weather, the second place finisher shot 281, I think the premise for the changes is delusional.

If someone shoots 60 next time around, anything could happen. They've opened the flood gates now. The precedent is set. And that is one of the main reasons those who are saying "it's only a little nip and tuck" need to be wary.

Philip Spogard

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 04:25:35 AM »
Philip,

One of the many things that make me uncomfortable with these changes is that I believe that they will have a negligible effect on the pros scoring at the next Open. 5mph in the wind would do much more damage.

Considering that this is the primary (only?) reason given for the changes... and considering in 2010, in decent weather, the second place finisher shot 281, I think the premise for the changes is delusional.

If someone shoots 60 next time around, anything could happen. They've opened the flood gates now. The precedent is set. And that is one of the main reasons those who are saying "it's only a little nip and tuck" need to be wary.

I fully agree.

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 04:55:53 AM »
The R&A will make a last minute announcement that the Old Course will need to be strengthened to adapt to the accuracy and length of the elite players and will introduce a special ball that flies 15% less than the current ball. ::) 

Jim Colton

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 05:38:49 AM »
For every one of the proposed changes, I'm sure there were a couple ideas that were dismissed. I'm sure they will just dust-off the list of rejects and go from there.

The 18th played the easiest in 2010. Maybe they'll stick a bunker near the green in the middle of the valley of sin?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 06:51:16 AM »
Jim,

You raise an interesting point.

If the 18th is deemed a weak hole for the Pros, will it begin to smell the ether ?

Put another way, how can the same thinking NOT result in the altering of a basically defenseless hole ?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 07:14:24 AM »
Is a hole weak because scoring a par loses a stroke to most of the field, whereas on the previous hole par gains a stroke on most of the field?
Cave Nil Vino

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 07:33:43 AM »
I wonder what will happen with the renovated/redesigned Old Course, if someone shoots 59/60 during the next Open?

I'm guessing they'll put the slope back intothe Eden, and the dip back into the 7th fairway to toughen it up ;)

One day people need to stop looking at individual  holes as weak or strong in relation to their par, but rather how they fit into the sum of the parts
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 07:36:41 AM »
Is a hole weak because scoring a par loses a stroke to most of the field, whereas on the previous hole par gains a stroke on most of the field?

Mark,

In today's medal play world, for the best Pros in the world, would you classify # 18 as a strong, medium or weak finishing hole ?

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 07:39:36 AM »

Mark,

In today's medal play world, for the best Pros in the world, would you classify # 18 as a strong, medium or weak finishing hole ?

Pat,
I would describe 17-18 at The Old Course as an interesting finsh where a lot can happen
see above
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jud_T

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 08:26:24 AM »
It's a hell of a stout par 3.  Play the Red tees at 339 as a par 3 and voila, no alterations are needed... :-\
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 08:28:34 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Dustin Ferrell

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 09:55:34 AM »
With all the talk about the game we love related to Balls, 460cc drivers, belly putters etc, and protecting the integrity of golf and classic golf courses...part of me wonders why we don't just clamp down on where equipment currently is. 

Players are more fit, have the technology of the equipment, the technology of launch monitors and fittings.  I'd also say the size of the athletes playing the game are slowly getting larger.  Is it that crazy to think the very best in the world are shooting a few strokes better than they were 40 years ago?  It actually tells me so much about how great the game and challenge is. 

If some guy goes out and shoots 60 in benign conditions on TOC, I don't have any problem with that at all.  at the end of the day, the scoring avg for the winning score the past 6 Opens there dating back to 1984 w/ Seve using Persimmon:  68.45 / round  Faldo avg 67.5 / round in his win in 1990,  Oosthuizen w/ 68 / round in 2010.  I know the course has been lengthed in spots etc, but still, one guy shooting 60 likely won't change the winning score that much as low rounds like 63 have happened to guys who never won the event.

I don't know if this scattered thought of a post means much to anyone, but just saying..... Cap the ball here, cap equipment here and LEAVE THE COURSE ALONE!

Carl Rogers

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 10:22:47 AM »
Maybe there there should be courses where the Pros shoot 30 under par???
Maybe under difficult weather conditions, "par" one day is 65 and the next day "par" might be 78?
Wouldn't a good test be one that measures the golfer's ability to play offense one day and defense the next?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

David_Tepper

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 01:35:01 PM »
"The 18th played the easiest in 2010. Maybe they'll stick a bunker near the green in the middle of the valley of sin?"

Jim C. -

I would love to see somebody ace the 18th. ;) It is only a matter of time until it happens.

DT

Frank Pont

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 02:33:12 PM »
Philip,

Life will go on, its just a score.....

Josh Tarble

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 03:00:43 PM »
Probably the same thing as if someone shot a 63 at Oakmont...

We'd hear about on TV for the next 5 decades  ;D

Jim Colton

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 05:27:21 PM »
I hate to put ideas in anybody's head, but I wonder how much longer until they shrink the hole by 1/4" the eve before the tournament. There's one idea for bifurcation that wouldn't require ripping up the course. Gotta protect par, you know.

Ken Fry

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 06:00:17 PM »
What should they do??

Pat him on the head and say, "Nice job."  Then see what he does for the other 3 rounds.

Ken

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back