News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Neil Davis

Period Restoration/Renovation
« on: October 23, 2012, 01:53:45 PM »
I'm curious as to thoughts or experiences with a restoration/renovation (actually probably more of a nip/tuck) based less on original plans or photos or a particular architect's traits, but more on a period of time.  For example, an old course that may not have a good grasp on its original architect, but has an idea of when the original 9 was opened (late 1800's) and when it was expanded to 18 (very early 1900's).  More of an "inspired by turn of the century architecture" as opposed to a faithful recreation of the original course. 

Alex Lagowitz

Re: Period Restoration/Renovation
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 01:59:39 PM »
I would assume that if the original architect was known, the goal would most likely be to restore using his traits/style.
However, if the architect was unknown, and no plans existed, then it would be reasonable to assume the redesigner would try to restore a classic feel to the golf course.

Tom_Doak

Re: Period Restoration/Renovation
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 08:52:39 PM »
Neil:

You should only be using the word "restoration" if you have photos or plans of the course that you are trying to replicate.  If you have photos, it doesn't matter whether you know who the architect was or not ... you are restoring his work even if you don't know who he is.  FWIW, I feel much better restoring things based on photos than based on plans, because my own courses are never built strictly to the plans, and in fact the changes from the plans are probably the things that are make the course a unique part of my work.

There's nothing wrong with doing a renovation using a general "turn of the century" style, if that's the way your club wants to go.  Just bear in mind that would mean vastly different things to different people, and that you will need to be confident of what it means to the shaper or contractor who's actually going to do the work.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back