News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

1920s aerials of British Courses 8
« on: October 24, 2012, 06:30:24 AM »
We begin with Romford, the club which was represented by James Braid when he won the 1901 Open Championship. I know no more. These photos are dated 1927. Interesting bunkers.

Oxley Park in Wolverhampton is a Colt course which has been dummed down somewhat since these pictures were taken. I used to play there occasionally in the 60s, the last occasion being 1971. I don’t remember the course, even with the aid of these pictures. I remember still the railway activity on one side and a sewage farm on the other!

I’ve only played North Foreland once, but I remember it vividly. It looks from these pictures to be rather bland, In fact it is not. And it is still fairly treeless and very exposed to the wind. The pictures are dated 1927. The bunkers to catch the topped drive have gone. These is a 9-hole short course, too.

This is Verulam in St Albans, where Samuel Ryder played his golf.

West Herts, Cassiobury Park, Watford.

More photos of Moor Park, dated 1928:

Oxhey Park was one of the better clubs around Watford. It was closed shortly after the Second World War and the ground used for the building of a rather notorious housing estate. Members approached Sandy Lodge to see if they could join as a group. Markes, the proprietor and dictator of Sandy Lodge, wouldn’t have it and insisted that anyone wishing to join had to go through the formal interview process with him. He alone decided who could and could not join Sandy Lodge!

And here is Sandy Lodge. The green in the right centre of the picture is no longer. It was part of the relief course (9 to 11 holes at various times) that perished in the Second World War and is now part of the extensive practice facilities. That hole was used in a big professional tournament shortly before the War, played over a composite course, because this hole finished close to the clubhouse with plenty of room for spectators. This picture is from 1928.

Parts of Royal Cromer are here visible. The more interesting holes are up on higher ground by the lighthouse. I don’t much enjoy the holes on flatter ground beyond, meadowland despite being beside the sea.

There will now be a hiatus while I search for more images. Talk amongst yourselves!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 06:34:39 AM by Mark_Rowlinson »

Tony_Muldoon

Re: 1920s aerials of British Courses 8 New
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 07:24:14 AM »
Romford is a surprisingly good course for one so flat.  It’s a Colt but the Club now credits the bunkering to Murray who was their secretary in the early 20's. He later went to West Hill and worked as Colt’s onsite man for many more courses including Portrush and Wentworth

The bunkering today is your standard ovals but they remain big, deep and bold.  As expected many trees have grown.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 03:24:21 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jason Topp

Re: 1920s aerials of British Courses 8
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 09:30:33 AM »
Thanks for posting these Mark.  Quite the treasure trove!

Niall C

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 01:21:33 PM »
Tony

From memory wasn't Romford the course that Braid was attached to before going to Walton Heath ? If I recall correctly he was there for quite a while and made quite a lot of changes along the way as you might expect. The course got a revamp a few years after he left and again from memory I would have said it was Simpson rather than Colt. Need to check, you can never trust my dodgy memory.

Niall

Paul_Turner

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 02:59:26 PM »
Niall

Romford is Colt redesign, the club has some decent records... I'll dig them up.   

Yes Braid was there as pro, before moving to Walton Heath. Not sure if he was doing design work when at Romford.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back