News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Lapper

Re:The Beatiful Redan at Somerset Hills
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2006, 11:40:36 AM »
So back to the great Tillie's Redan ..... not many.

Do you fella think my take on the Tillie kick-in shoulder is correct?

Uncle George,

Eminently so and the number of aided and abetted aces using that terrain feature backs up that assertion.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 11:45:41 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Kelly Blake Moran

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2006, 08:40:14 AM »
I think George has done a tremendous service by posting these pictures in conjunction with his other thread about was golf better back then.  the original b/w George posted depicts a bunker construction that is infinately better looking than the colors that were posted.  The hard edge is so much more attractive than the flashed sand on the colors.  George may have done this purposely but I find it interseting all these posts he has put up particularly as it relates to the ruggedness of the course in the old B/W which may distort my perceptions, but it seems the acceptance of less than ideal conditions outsdie of the greens, the rugged windblown eroded nature of the bunker faces and such that you see in the old books seems to speak of a time when owners/supers where less concerned about tidying up every little feature, the effect is powerful.  Great job George.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2006, 08:43:41 AM »
Doug and I drove past three weeks ago and I was able to snap this picture from the road. That fence takes containment features to a new level.  ;)

« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 08:44:09 AM by Kyle Harris »

George_Bahto

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2006, 10:18:22 AM »
Kelly thanks

boy, just look at where that back left pin could be!
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

George_Bahto

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2006, 10:26:21 AM »
I think I'll get back out there and take a picture from exactly where that b&w was taken from and put them side by side.

There is something so very interest about the way the right side of the approach area (where the left bunker is) seems to influence your thinking off the tee.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 10:26:46 AM by George_Bahto »
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Steve Lapper

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2006, 04:02:20 PM »
Kelly thanks

boy, just look at where that back left pin could be!

George,

Kelly is just yanking your chain!!! ;) He's sucking up to get a crack at rehabbing Mid-Ocean some day with you.

The back left pin is the usual member pin FYI
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

TEPaul

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2006, 07:03:12 PM »
One of the things I always thought was so interesting about that hole in that old photo is how the right side of the fairway starts way before and to the right of the right bunker and just keeps on going on that line. There is no reason they couldn't return the hole to that unique look. Easy as pie.

George_Bahto

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2006, 09:52:37 PM »
That's what intriques me also. Tom, an why I said I want to do another poto from the same location as the b & W.

That right bunker is crying to be in play.
   Wethered & Simpson

Mark Saltzman

Re: The Beatiful Redan at Somerset Hills
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2012, 06:24:47 PM »
Tree-removal over the past several years have restored the long views at the redan 2nd (also note the drastic improvement in mowing lines!)...

Before (from the Courses by Country profile):

After:

Tom_Doak

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2012, 09:30:02 PM »
Brian Slawnik did the mowing lines.  He's been consulting there (with my occasional input) for about 4 years now.  It's a great place to visit, but not on the way to China or New Zealand.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2012, 01:13:05 PM »
The hole looks fantastic and I hear a lot of praise about it.  Hope I get to see it soon!   :D

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back