News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mickey Boland

Re:Coombe Hill
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2005, 12:48:07 PM »
From their "Visitor Info" section:

In the summer months, tailored shorts may be worn on the course. However, they should be of reasonable length and worn with knee length socks.
8. Mobile Telephones
Please note that the use of mobile phones is not permitted either in the Clubhouse or on the course but may be carried on the course, switched off, and used only in medical emergencies.

Don't know how I would look in knee-length shorts, but I like the no-cellphone rule.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2005, 12:53:53 PM »
Paul - I have not played The Addington; what are the "obvious similarities"? If you seek Mark Rowlinson's post number seven it would appear that these escaped him. ;)

Paul_Turner

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2005, 02:20:33 PM »
Philip

I see general similarities, simply in the amount of movement in the terrain and scale of the greens. Plus the feeling of being on a hill close to London...views. (Both overgrown a bit too...a jungle feeling to them?)

The more I look at the bunkers.  The more I think they've been messed up.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 02:23:59 PM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

T_MacWood

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2005, 04:08:07 PM »
The more I look at the bunkers.  The more I think they've been messed up.

There is no doubt that....other that the course looks to be well preserved.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 04:09:05 PM by Tom MacWood »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2005, 07:57:42 PM »
I saw the course back in the fall of 1982.  At that time they certainly didn't mow the fairways in ugly stripes, and the shaping of the bunkers was much more subdued.  It was a bit more overgrown, too, as I recall.

I'm not near my office this week but perhaps if this thread is still around when I get home I can post a couple of pictures for comparison.

Marc Haring

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2005, 03:24:13 AM »
Tom

Yes I must have played it in about 1984 and remember the heathland character still being intact. It was rough around the edges but still a delight to play. I’m sure they have removed a whole mass of trees in the last few years and have opened up the views significantly.

Richard

Great pictures. My, that BIGGA card can come in handy. ;)

The course reminds me a little of Wentworth West and I hate to say it but Sunningdale Old in that it has lost much of its charm through ludicrous over feeding and watering and that ghastly striped up fairway mowing pattern. Why oh why did they remove the heather, I mean what were they thinking of?

Incidentally. Murray Long the then course manager has now just taken over the superintendent's role at Sunningdale.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 03:25:28 AM by Marc Haring »

Philip Gawith

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2005, 03:46:24 AM »
Marc - you are right, they have been removing trees, and there are obviously more to come since I could see some of them marked with the cross of fate! Apparently they even managed to get some sort of government grant to help defray the costs. A nice wheeze!

Not sure I agree with the Sunningdale Old likeness. That is clearly a heathland course, with quite a lot of heather, and Coombe Hill is pretty much free of heather. I think you are more conscious of the trees at Coombe Hill, and the big elevation changes give it a very different feel to Sunningdale Old where the elevation changes at 4,5,10 are less in play than at Coombe Hill.

Wentworth West is more similar but still different - has a bigger feel to it, further from London, less dramatic elevation.

Marc Haring

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2005, 04:10:32 AM »
Philip

Yes I was referring to the change in character over the years, the gradual and regrettable change from traditional heathland to parkland. I actually remember Wentworth as being a heathland course with light, wispy semi rough and run off areas around the greens. You break your wrists trying to get out of the stuff nowadays. Sunningdale Old still has much of that feel left but I’ve a good idea of their intentions and believe me, it’s not good.

Hilarious that tree grant scheme. Coombe Hill are without doubt one of the wealthiest clubs in the World.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2005, 07:45:33 AM »
I don't know what's going on with the recent bunker projects on English inland courses.  In my experience they are universally poor and have removed character.

(Apart from Hawtree's work at Whittington Heath).

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2005, 10:38:00 AM »
Paul,

Obviously there's a general similarity between The Addington and Coombe Hill in that both are on hills south of London and overlook blocks of flats.  The lack of similarity that I suggest is perhaps better described as individuality - Aber seems to have responded differently to the topography of both sites, to the benefit of both courses.  Do you know what the second course at The Addington was like?  Was it similar to the surviving one?  

Your mention of current British philosophy over bunkering reminds me of what I said somewhere else, that we are some 30 years behind the Americans.  All too often, we don't know what our heritage is and why it might be important.  I have just witnessed some awful re-bunkering done on a British classic - I won't disclose where, even by e-mail - but it is vandalism, nothing short of it.  It's been done by a Green's Committee who don't know why their course is a] special, b] influential or c] should be listed as a national monument.  Of course it's reversible, but it is a clear indicator that we have a great deal of educating to do before golfers in this country realise what a heritage they have and what a responsibility they have to preserve the best.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2005, 01:09:59 PM »
Paul,

Obviously there's a general similarity between The Addington and Coombe Hill in that both are on hills south of London and overlook blocks of flats.  The lack of similarity that I suggest is perhaps better described as individuality - Aber seems to have responded differently to the topography of both sites, to the benefit of both courses.  Do you know what the second course at The Addington was like?  Was it similar to the surviving one?  

Your mention of current British philosophy over bunkering reminds me of what I said somewhere else, that we are some 30 years behind the Americans.  All too often, we don't know what our heritage is and why it might be important.  I have just witnessed some awful re-bunkering done on a British classic - I won't disclose where, even by e-mail - but it is vandalism, nothing short of it.  It's been done by a Green's Committee who don't know why their course is a] special, b] influential or c] should be listed as a national monument.  Of course it's reversible, but it is a clear indicator that we have a great deal of educating to do before golfers in this country realise what a heritage they have and what a responsibility they have to preserve the best.

Mark

I've only seen one or two photos of Addington New (one is in the clubhouse).  I don't think the course was as dramatic as the Old.  There are a few hole outlines left.

Obviously I'm really curious which course you are refering to.  I wonder how much of this is in the pipeline for other courses in Britain that have some cash to spend on a bunker "redo".

Would still like to see some old Coombe Hill pics, Tom.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2005, 06:01:52 PM »
Paul, we've just discovered the machine for mechanically raking bunkers.  It's a pathetic tale.  But I won't divulge.

M.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2005, 06:03:35 PM »
Paul,  I think I'm only a post behind you on the GCA count.  That's it.  No more for two years.  M.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back