News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Book

9th Green @ Harbour Town
« on: October 18, 2012, 11:51:54 PM »
After recently playing at Harbour Town I wondered if there exists another green like the 9th? I thought it was a fantastic, but nearly impossible if you ended up on the wrong side.  From back in the fairway it is blind.  I pushed my approach right to a left flag and asked our fore caddy what was over there.  His reply, "certain death"

Nigel Islam

Re: 9th Green @ Harbour Town
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 11:14:30 AM »
I think the 6th at Whistling Straits has some similarities. The central bunker dictating line of play. Perhaps the 7th at Crystal Downs as well.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 11:17:08 AM »
The green and bunkering on 9 is really something special.

I think the creativity and design of the entire course is overlooked and/or flat out missed by many people.  All that is focused on is the tight tree lined holes...but the entire course is not that way...and the use of tightness, bold hazards, small greens, hints of opening up (like at 9), and the entire ebb and flow is extra special.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Ed Oden

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 09:39:13 AM »
I think the creativity and design of the entire course is overlooked and/or flat out missed by many people.  All that is focused on is the tight tree lined holes...but the entire course is not that way...and the use of tightness, bold hazards, small greens, hints of opening up (like at 9), and the entire ebb and flow is extra special.

Mac, count me in this group.  I am serious and not being sarcastic when I say I would love for you (or anyone else for that matter) to explain what I am missing at Harbour Town that makes it special. 

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 09:52:35 AM »
The U shaped green around bunkers isn't new, although I can't recall another with the U in the back.

MacKenzie did several U shape, wraparound greens.  They still exist at Crystal Downs and Un of Michigan courses.  They have been bulldozed out at other places (including ANGC)

I like them, but then, it seems as if a greens committee chair or other important member loses a match to having to putt around the corner, or an influential super decides he doesn't want to fix divots on the green anymore, they go away in the name of practicality.  I have also seen a few greens in the same principle, but with the U being a low green area, forcing only a huge down and up putt if on the wrong side of the green.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 10:36:29 AM »
Bill Coore has done an almost Z-shaped green on his short par three #8 at Streamsong (Red).  [Actually, it's more like one of those Tetris shapes, laid out crossways to the tee.]  There are two bunkers that jut into the green far enough to stymie a direct putt toward the hole, on occasion.  Very curious to see how this green is accepted.

Tim Book

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 08:36:04 PM »
Jeff,

I think what makes the 9th unique is not only the fact that the bunker is in the back, but that the green is tilted from front to back.  Add in that the green is more of less blind and you have a frustrating green on our first round and more enlightened golfer on our second.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 10:30:47 PM »
Jeff thans for the information. I too like that green a great deal.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back