News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Emil Weber

The Annesley Links at Royal County Down (PHOTO TOUR)
« on: October 18, 2012, 02:51:45 AM »
I was lucky enough to find myself in Newcastle, County Down in summer this year and got to play both courses at RCD. As the Annesley Links (their "2nd" course) is not very well known and I remember some discussion from earlier this year regarding the course and requests for pics, I thought it is time to present you a fine links expierience that certainly gets overlooked!

At ~4500 yards and a par of 66, it is built on a much smaller scale than its big brother, the Champioship course, but with that come narrow fairways and small targets.
The course is built on the same property as the Championship links (actually the courses cross each other in places), which is why it has a similarly rustic beauty to it. Naturally, the bunkers are built in more or less the same style (but smaller) as on the Championship course and are a joy to look at (not so much to play from). The dunes are well used by playing across and alongside them, while some nice bunkers make those holes interesting which lack big undulations. Plus, there are some very good greensites.
The Annesley is mostly composed of short par 4s and short par 3s. In theory, the par 4s are reachable for long hitters, but in most cases it is stupid to go for the greens as they are small, well defended and there is always a safe layup area. The par 3s once again look easy, but when the wind is up it is quite a challenge to hit the greens. While still strategic in many places, it does get a little annoying to hit so many irons off the tee - but that way it makes up for the lack of length.

Overall, it is very well worth paying the 25 pound greenfee for this basic but pure links if you find yourself in the area. It cannot compare in any way to the majestic beauty and challenge of the Championship Links, but at 15% of the price, no one would expect it to.

Apologies in advance for the quality of the photos, ruined my somewhat decent camera before the trip and had to bring an old one..

Discussion and comments would be greatly appreciated!

View off the 1st tee, 282yard par 4. Lots of space on the left but the line along the bunkers is shorter.

closer to the green

view of the green. the RHS bunker is hidden from the tee, the green is slightly elevated and softly falls off at the sides.

view from the right

2nd hole tee shot (311 yds, par 4). Looooooots of space to the right, the green is left alongside the trees.

approach to a nice green
[imghttp://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss47/HarryFlarry/DSC06315.jpg]http://[/img]

closer view of the back-to-front and left-to-right sloping green

and the pretty bunker that protects the LHS of the green

looking back towards the famed Mountains of Mourne

Approach to the 426 yard, dogleg left, par 4 3rd

these bunkers protect the left side of this green

looking back

tee shot at the lovely, 399 par 4 4th hole.

After taking a quick glance at the Championship course's 17th hole....

...you are faced with this approach over 3 delicious-looking cross bunkers to a left-to-right sloping green

most left of the three bunkers

the green, which feeds running shots from the left towards itself ( as always, photos don't show the slopes very well)

The lovely, 127 yard par 3 5th is the first of many short, but interesting par 3s. The fronting bunker protects an elevated green with a higher RHS tier and a lower LHS tier.

close up to the green showing the tiers

view from the 6th tee over the 5th green and the Champinship course's 11th

hole 6, 267 yard par 4, playing out towards a relatively flat fairway that is bisected at 215 yards by a deep valley. It then plays uphill again to a severely elevated, upturned saucer of a green. Went for this with a 3 wood in tailwind and hit the flagstick carry!

View from the left

from back right

The seventh is another short par 4 at 278 yards. It is however not as easy as it may look and going for the green can be deadly. Tee shot:

the hole then slightly doglegs left and is bisected by this deep chasm at 200 yards (front right of the picture). the approach is pretty fun to a nicely surrounded green.

rear view. the tee would be a wee bit left of the flag behind the dunes

The walk from 7 to 8 may be long - but it crosses the 13th hole from the Championship course, which makes it very enjoyable!

The 338 yard 8th is one of the best holes on the course. Tee shot:

On the top of the ridge which makes the tee shot blind, this is your view of a wonderfully rolling, linksy and narrow fairway that doglegs slightly to the right

closer up:

looking back over the punchbowl-like, elevated green which is wonderfully nestled in the dunes

the 152 yard par 3 9th which broke my neck. While balls that land short of the green will bounce towards the center, there is actually a severe, 20-30 feet drop on the RHS behind that dune. Don't ever go long and right here.

closer look to another very good greensite

looking back. sadly I couldn't capture the drop-off I mentioned, which would be on the far left side of this photo

on the way to the 10th tee, this is the view over the Championship Links!

The 264 yard 10th was my favourite hole. After another blind drive over a horizontal ridge, this is the view of a great fairway tumbling downhill and right-to-left...

to an exceptional green complex that is honestly as good as any on the whole property. Add to that the dunes and the Irish Sea framing the hole, this is golf.

close up to the right-to-left, multi-tiered, yet randomly sloping green protected by dunes on the right and a shaved drop off front-left. Better approached from the left side of the fairway if you're not going for the green, which is not as easy as it looks.

Elevated tee shot on the 290-yard 11th. The fairway is split into right and left halves which unite at ~ 120 yards short of the green to create a narrow entrance to a small, elevetad green defended by OOB on the right and deep rough on the left. Best option would be to lay up on the LHS of the fairway to leave yourself a short pitch from a good angle.

closer up (sorry a bit blurry)

closer to the green

aaand a little closer

looking back. you wouldn't want to hit a driver into those last 90 yards of narrowness

The 12th is a 144 yard par 3. Well defended, it also hides 2 front-right and left side bunkers.

close to the green. there is a little bank on the RHS which kicks balls towards the target

The 139-yard 13th plays over a deep chasm to a 2-tiered green (blurry again)

View back over the 13th, with the big course's 13th on the right.

Tee shot at the downhill, 277 yard par 4 14th. Again, the green is reachable through a little entrance, but the safe play is to lay up short of a deep chasm in front of the green ( 230 yards from the tee)

looking back:

The 15th is a straightforward par 4 of 349 yards.

approach to the green

looking back, solid hole

The 160 yard par 3 16th, surrounded by 7 bunkers to a back-to-front sloping green

from the left side. the green is also elevated, fun shots around this green!

The 17th is of similar length as the previous hole to a nice green

view from the LHS bunker (with my ball buried) over a nicely sloping green

from back-right

Tee shot on the 315 yard 18th. Bunkers hidden on the right, one on the left

the approach to a lovely green complex and a nicely placed fronting bunker to mess with your plans!

from short right.

looking back over 18, 1st hole on the left. End of a fun round!!

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Re: The Annesley Links at Royal County Down (PHOTO TOUR)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 06:55:27 AM »
Emil,

Wow!!  :o  :o

I had got the false impression that this was just some sort of Mickey Mouse pitch and putt course, but it looks amazing. Some of those green sites are terrific. The par threes have great variety and the 8th is something special. Thank for the photos; that old camera shouldn't be thrown out.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 08:18:43 AM »
Emil,
Thanks.  Those photos worked out just fine.  Really glad you posted this tour, as I would have never considered this course up until now. There are a lot of great looking green sites, and there seems plenty of interest off the tee (just not with driver).  I'll bet this would be a great time with hickories. The course seems worth playing for the tenth hole alone.

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 08:29:01 AM »
Emil,
Thanks.  Those photos worked out just fine.  Really glad you posted this tour, as I would have never considered this course up until now. There are a lot of great looking green sites, and there seems plenty of interest off the tee (just not with driver).  I'll bet this would be a great time with hickories. The course seems worth playing for the tenth hole alone.

Great tour.
I played this course years ago and loved it.
Now I've got to go back!
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 11:51:34 AM »
Emil

What a fabulous and natural looking golf course. It really does look as though its been layed over the ground rather than huge quantities of earth heaved here and there. What I loved was the bunkering and the lovely naturally degraded look of it. So many bunker restorations in the rugged style look like they've simply had rolls of turf draped over the ground and cut cookie cutter style whereas here they look like a gouge has been taken out of the ground. Fantastic stuff.

Niall

Martin Toal

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 12:14:35 PM »
The course has traditionally been known as 'the chicken run' but that is more to do with narrowness than ease of scoring.

That 8th is a delightful hole and the 10th gives a better view of the Irish Sea than most holes on the big course.

JMEvensky

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 01:08:02 PM »
When I played RCD in 1999,a 4-some of Japanese men somehow took a wrong turn onto Annesley and played 10 or 12 holes by mistake.The caddies didn't say a word.

When the Pro Shop found out--the Japanese men complained that RCD didn't look like the pictures they'd seen--the 4-some was given a complimentary round that afternoon and the caddies were looking for new jobs.

Michael Essig

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 02:10:47 PM »
Thanks Emil.  I was fortunate to play RCD earlier this year, and now I am sorry I didn't take the time to also play here. I will add this one to the list for 2014. 

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 02:16:15 PM »
Terrific pictures! Many thanks! I haven't played this course since the 1960s (although I have played the big course more recently) when I used to play it quite a lot with a cousin of mine. My recollection was that it finished with a par 3 of about 200 yards. Is my memory completely shot? I don't remember the trees (or housing) down the left. My memory is of looking out over the trackbed of the old railway that linked Belfast and Newcastle and fields on the far side. I do remember the excitement of crossing the big course and that the holes in the dunes around this part were the best. I cannot remember individual holes but I don't remember it being quite so narrow! I must have hit the ball straight in those days!

As a very small boy (early 1950s and not yet playing golf) I saw the steam trains running into Newcastle. My grandfather, who had a motor garage and small engineering business in Rathfriland, very often collected passengers alighting at Ballyroney station and I would sometimes be taken along for the ride. Sadly, I don't remember anything about what sort of engines hauled these trains - my first positive memory of Irish steam locomotives would be early 1960s.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 07:48:53 PM »
Emil, like the others thus far I wanted to thank you for a wonderful tour (of a golf course I didn't even know existed!).

There are many holes on the chicken run that look like tremendous fun to play.

The 4th looks like it would be a standout out on any course.  Perfect use of fairway bunkering?

The tie-ins from fairway contouring to putting surface looks flawless.

I have been known to criticize courses for arbitrary 'wavy' mowing lines, but in a couple spots it looks to me like the straight-line mowing lines don't fit on such a natural site.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
I should know better than to ignore second courses in GB&I but have each time I have been to RCD.  There seems to be some ordinary oles but many look outstanding. Next time I will have to give it a go.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Emil Weber

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 10:17:25 PM »
Brian,

indeed, those fairways were a joy to play from (if I ever found them), perfectly crisp links turf! I am not an expert on greenkeeping, but I assume it would be a mix of both money and practice.

Donal,

The greensites are certainly a highlight of the course. I forgot to mention that the 8th green is actually false fronted while the rest of the green is more of a punchbowl. Definitely a great hole!
The par 3s are quite varied, but they lack a little in variety of length.

John,

you are right about the tee shots. A lot of those blind tee shots would have required a little bit of knowledge though, so kind of started hitting 7 irons off the tee just to be sure I don't lose my ball. Would've been even more fun the 2nd time around!

Niall,

you're absolutely right about the naturalness - in fact I thought that some of the greensites on the Annesley Links were much more in tune with the surroundings than on the Championship Links  ::) And yes the bunkers are wonderful, ruuged and anything but contrived.

Mark R,

I wasn't in existence in 1960 for another 30 years, so I don't know what it looked like back then   ;D The 18th is a crisp finisher though, that little fronting bunker makes it so much more interesting. The housing doesn't look too new and the trees seem to have been standing there for quite a bit aswell, sorry I can't answer that!

Mark S,

The 4th is a very good hole - the bunkers are 85 to 65 yards short of the green, which means about 300 yards from the tee. That means they probably don't really come into play for the majority of golfers (except if your tee shot is way off), which is quite sad. They are still fun to look at' frame the hole and also make those last 60-80 yards to the green a bit more obscured and mysterious!
I must say I didn't really note the mowing lines..  looking at them in the pictures, I think the actually suit the character of the course quite well!

Matthew Essig

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 10:57:41 PM »
I love how the course most likely makes you hit every club in the bag.

Do you all think that more courses like this one, a change from the 7,000 yard-ers, should be built, or do you all think it is a little too short (too many reachable par 4's)?
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Emil Weber

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 11:55:54 PM »
Although I really really enjoyed it, I wouldn't want to play a 4500 yard course for the rest of my life. You have to consider that there are 9 (!) sub 320-yard par 4s. I love short par 4s, and they are all different here, but every second hole is a bit too much. And there are no par 5s which add variety to every course. So I guess we need a balance in everything!

Sean_A

Re: The Annesley Links at Royal County Down (PHOTO TOUR) New
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 09:13:31 AM »
Emil

Thanks for the tour.  Looks like my sorta place for £25.  Reminds me of a flatter Gullane #3.

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 04:09:01 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

jeffwarne

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 09:20:31 AM »
Emil

Thanks for the tour.  Looks like my sorta place for £25.  Reminds me a flatter Gullane #3.

Ciao

The perfect "post lunch/pint course"
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 05:27:30 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 11:09:29 AM »
Emil

Let me add my thanks to you for taking the time and effort to post this tour.  Threads like this make dipping into GCA on a regular basis absolutely essential.  I've never been to RCD or heard of their second course before, but it looks like a lot of fun and a pretty good track for a No.2.  The turf looks outstanding.

Nice job Emil!
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Mike Hendren

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 12:32:40 PM »
Emil, I'm stunned.  To think that one day I might visit RCD and miss this golf course is unfathomable now.  What I wouldn't give to be able to play such a course on a regular basis.  I simply can't get any better than this.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Thomas Dai

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 03:48:42 PM »
In the thread about courses under 5,000 yrds I mentioned the Annesley Course at RCD and Matthew Hunt kindly chipped in with some very positive words about the new holes and the new routing.

Here are two drone videos showing the new 9th and 10th holes plus a glimpse of the new 11th hole.

Having seen these holes last year, before they were actually opened for play, I can vouch for the spectacular nature of the new holes, which when combined with many of the originals, now make the Annesley a really cracking second course, and the original version of the Annesley, although short on the card, was pretty tasty. If you have the opportunity to play the Annesley course, take it. You might be very, very pleasantly surprised.

Here are the drone videos -

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pmXymVTsKVA
&
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xbB6XfpxPMA

See and scroll down here - http://www.royalcountydown.org/Annesley_Links.aspx - for a few more photos and the course routing map

Atb
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 03:55:53 PM by Thomas Dai »

Brad Tufts

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 04:01:00 PM »
So which three holes of the original photo tour above from 2012 are out of play now?
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Thomas Dai

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 05:29:43 PM »
Brad,

From reviewing the new routing map, as displayed on the Clubs website, and an older satmap, I believe the former par-4 3rd, par-4 4th and par-3rd 16th no longer exist.

It looks like the newly routed par-4 2nd now plays to the former 4th green and that the 17th now plays from a different tee and at different angle. The 17th, a par-3, may also be slightly longer than previously, although still at par-3 length.

This gives 6 par-3's and 12 par-4's I believe.

If I had access to a helicopter (and the necessary time and £) I'd happily play the course tomorrow!😊

Atb

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2016, 06:36:33 PM »
Brad,

From reviewing the new routing map, as displayed on the Clubs website, and an older satmap, I believe the former par-4 3rd, par-4 4th and par-3rd 16th no longer exist.

It looks like the newly routed par-4 2nd now plays to the former 4th green and that the 17th now plays from a different tee and at different angle. The 17th, a par-3, may also be slightly longer than previously, although still at par-3 length.

This gives 6 par-3's and 12 par-4's I believe.

If I had access to a helicopter (and the necessary time and £) I'd happily play the course tomorrow!😊

Atb

Good summary, only correction is that it has 5 par 3's (It will be a contender for the best set you have played and 13 par 4's. There now a great flow to the layout and in the last few months it has been becoming a lot more popular with American visitors.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2016, 02:00:57 AM »
I was a little concerned about the new 10th when I saw the pictures of the hole during development and I must say I'm a little disappointed with the flatness of the fairway. I wonder what the original ground looked like; can't imagine it was so featureless. Maybe the drone images give a misleading view.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 02:02:38 AM by Dónal Ó Ceallaigh »

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2016, 04:25:07 AM »
I was a little concerned about the new 10th when I saw the pictures of the hole during development and I must say I'm a little disappointed with the flatness of the fairway. I wonder what the original ground looked like; can't imagine it was so featureless. Maybe the drone images give a misleading view.

It doesn't seem flat at all when it is being played.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2016, 05:16:08 AM »

It doesn't seem flat at all when it is being played.

Good, that's reassuring.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back