News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Stonewall Old and Yale back to back
« on: October 15, 2012, 10:51:07 AM »
 I had not played Stonewall's original course in years and was very pleased to go back there last week. I played Beechtree (Doak) many times in the intervening years so I came to appreciate the understated nature of Doak's work. It was a beautiful fall day so that affects my views as well. The course is just a great walk and has a great sense of place----gently rolling farmland with a great background of hills. I am really beginning to fight against "ranking" courses. I just ask "is the course for this place?" Certainly Stonewall is a "yes".

Now Yale is just outside the box to me. It has interesting terrain and unbelievable greens. I can't compare it to anything but I do feel similarly to playing my home course of Rolling Green while there with the elevation change and the many shots you face in a round. Both are very memorable as well. But Yale is probably the most memorable course I have played. However, I do think the templates detract a tad from the the sense of place feeling. Golf needs places like this to stretch your mind!

AKA Mayday

ed_getka

Re: Stonewall Old and Yale back to back
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 02:03:25 PM »
Mike,
    When you say the templates detract from the sense of place do you feel it is the holes or the greens that are fighting the land?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 02:18:38 PM »
Mayday,
I have a good friend who is a member at Stonewall, and is not a fan of Yale.  For what its worth..

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

JESII

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 02:22:07 PM »
Mayday,

Have you played other MacRaynor courses which did not feel out of place due to their template holes?

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 09:17:53 PM »
 I did say a "tad" about the templates. I enjoyed the challenge but do prefer more harmonious green complexes.
 NGLA felt more in harmony to me.
AKA Mayday

Sean Leary

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 09:59:51 AM »
I have always been a big Stonewall Old fan. I have played there quite a bit, and it is one of the best places I have been.

Bill Crane

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 01:21:37 PM »
Mayday:

I, too had the fortune to play Yale and Stonewall in the past 7 weeks through the O-C.  Played pretty good at both, with a sold sub 40 back nine at Stonewall even though my first trip, and cracked 80 at Yale last. Doaks Stonewall design really captures the feel of Chester Co. PA rolling terrain.

While I prefer my home club - Springdale - on a regular basis, I have really enjoyed getting to know Yale with 3 visits in just over a year, and my scores have come down each round.  I am just getting a sense of where to hit a drive to catch one of the plateaus going up the hill on 18, or where to hit the approach on 10 to navigate the front and back slopes of the green properly.

The back nine at Yale is difficult to walk, and my strategy is to walk the front and catch a cart for the back, then try to walk the front again as a third nine.  I have walked all 18, and I need a lighter trolley than the old tanks that they lease at Yale.

As you know, Springdale is the home course for Princeton U, and the difference between Yale could not be more diametrically opposed. The size of the greens, plot of land, fairways, in vs. out of town could not be more different.  I like to Tease Colin Sheehan about Raynor being a Princeton Grad.

The P U Team rarely plays in the Yale events, knowing that home course advantage a Yale is magnified.

Would love to get to Yale again if the weather holds up this fall.

WmFlynnFan

Joe Bausch

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 02:31:09 PM »
I decided to re-compile my Stonewall Old photo album.  I culled the herd, touched some up, etc.  These were taken in October of 2010 and have some decent fall colors.

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/stonewallold/

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back