News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bryan Izatt

Re: The best looking 18th green and surrounds may be ...
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2012, 04:08:35 AM »

Sean,

The 18th at Ardglass is similar to, although not as dramatic as, Kington.  The clubhouse is arguably nicer, being a castle and all.   ;)

Tony Ristola

« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2012, 06:10:19 AM »
There are lots of them. Valley Club is quite nice, and one of my favorite paintings by Mike Miller is of this hole; looking up to the clubhouse and mountains.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2012, 06:28:49 AM »
Since this thread has deviated well beyond the 18th green to the 18th hole, where's the photo from the upper tee on # 18 at Pine Valley ?

Mark McKeever

« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2012, 08:26:17 AM »
Pat, 

Agree that PV hole 18 is noteworthy.  How cool would it be to remove the trees left of 18 green at PV to expose the clubhouse??

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2012, 08:54:23 AM »
No love for Yale yet?
No mention of Newport CC?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 08:56:22 AM by Mike_Trenham »
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2012, 05:59:11 PM »
Well, I'll try another...from left of the 18th green at Grandfather

Bart

Bart,

This could get some serious consideration on the best looking 18th green thread...
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Dustin Knight

« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2012, 07:09:45 PM »
Surely this deserves some love?

Lost Farm........ WOW!

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2012, 09:04:47 PM »

If the green were closer to the clubhouse it would increase the wow factor. Google Earth shows that it's 62 yards from the back edge of the green to the closest corner of the clubhouse. I don't think they should move it or anything! But I think that's why it doesn't come to mind sooner in this context.

Bill Brightly

Re: The best looking 18th Green may be ...
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2012, 11:16:27 AM »

Bill

Thats one of the great things about golf - so much of our feelings about a place are tied to the experience of being there.  When I view the scene below I know its a thing of wonder and awe which the golf archie has created.  I don't love the building (well I do like the shop), but I do love what it represents.  I don't get anything like the visual sense of sheer delight when I look at the Stonewall pic (the bunkering looks worse than anything I see in the Kington pic), but I am pleased some do.

Ciao
[/quote]

Sean,

I absloutely love the look of the 18th hole at Kington and it is now on my list of courses that would really want to play. I get what you are saying about the pro shop and mounding tying into the overall experience of playing Kington, and I think it looks great.

I guess we are really comparing apples and oranges when we talk about the finishing holes at Stonewall and Kington. Perhaps my camera did not do an adequate job of capturing the beauty of Stonewall's 18th. Keep in mind that the green and surrounds are largely hidden from the tee. As you walk to your ball to hit your second shot, the "picture" gradually appears, and what a beautiful picture has been painted!

Let's think about it: You started in the old farmhouse/locker room where you put on your shoes, played 17 holes around the facility on what is clearly an old farmsite, and then you end your round with this view. I just thought it was one of the most beautiful, peaceful, feelings that I can recall on a golf course. Standing on the rise about 180 yards from the green, I had the sense that I was in a museum looking at a great painting and feeling what the artist wanted me to feel.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 11:20:47 AM by Bill Brightly »

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2012, 02:05:51 PM »
My two favorites that come to mind are the closing greens at Ballyhack and Philly Cricket Club's Wissahickon course.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Mark McKeever

« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2012, 02:17:01 PM »
Ah Cricket.  Another good candidate.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

John Kirk

« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2012, 03:53:00 PM »

If the green were closer to the clubhouse it would increase the wow factor. Google Earth shows that it's 62 yards from the back edge of the green to the closest corner of the clubhouse. I don't think they should move it or anything! But I think that's why it doesn't come to mind sooner in this context.

Hi Matt,

I rather like this look, with the 9th and/or 18th greens set back from the clubhouse.  That's the Augusta National GC is set up.   Though I have only had the privilege of playing there twice, I find the 9th green at San Francisco GC stunning, a good 80-100 yards away from the buildings.  I know we are discussing 18th holes, but man that 9th hole at San Francisco is a great way to finish nine holes.

Sean,

Thanks for the rear view of Kington's 18th green.  That's wild.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2012, 04:58:19 PM »
I'm not sure I've seen one better than this 18th, as a ideal composition of a great golf course with a fairy tale final hole to boot:

or Mike Miller's painting of it:

or the 15th hole aside the 18th:

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Phil McDade

« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2012, 05:25:06 PM »
I've always thought the 18th at Milwaukee CC is a very nice finishing hole, and has terrific surrounds with the backdrop of what, to me, a top-tier clubhouse ought to look like -- something that's been around awhile, and reflects in some way the community where the club is located. In this case, the Milwaukee CC clubhouse is very nice but quite understated, painted white with soft tan (limestone?) rock. It's modest quality -- similar qualities that you'll find in the architecture of its namesake city.

The 18th fairway and green, framed nicely by the clubhouse.

A really neat feature of the 18th green is that the backside is shaved at near-green height, allowing the too-bold shot to easily roll off the backside to the path that runs by the 1st tee (background). Should the door to the adjacent pro shop be open, you might find your ball ending up next to......a sleeve of balls, or a MCC shirt.

Dave Falkner

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2012, 05:14:34 PM »

Dustin,

I sure love the green, bunkers and surrounding terrain, but, is the clubhouse a plus or a minus ?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back