News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

The best looking 18th green and surrounds may be ...
« on: October 11, 2012, 11:04:37 AM »
Stonewall Old, Tom Doak

« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 05:21:38 PM by Bill Brightly »

Ronald Montesano

Re: The best looking 18th Green may be ...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 11:22:06 AM »
disagree
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Neil White

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 11:37:35 AM »
Bill,

Kington has got to be up there somewhere.

Courtesy of Sean's photo tour.

Neil.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 01:18:51 PM »
I'll second that Neil and also Moray Old must be also quite high up there.

Bill,

I am sure Stonewall Old is great but what makes it so in your opinion? From the photo it looks to have a couple of bunkers to many and if that is the angle of approach what shot options do you have except the arial route?

Jon

Mark Pearce

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 01:34:48 PM »
Another vote for Kington and another who sees that photo of Stonewall and sees too many bunkers.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 01:50:01 PM »
Neil,

I love how that mound guards the mid to back portion of the green.

Great looking green

If only that building wasn't there

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 02:02:43 PM »
Neil,

Great looking green

Patrick,

where else would you have the clubhouse ???

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 02:07:30 PM »
Jon,

I'd have to see a topo and aerial of the property first.

What town is the club in, I'll take a look via Google Earth

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 02:12:10 PM »
I may be wrong but judging from Bill's OP photo I think he was going for the most attractive green setting to include the green and it's surroundings.

While the green itself in the Kington pic looks to be really cool the overall aesthetic is a bit marred by the clubhouse, the lattice fencing and the phone pole.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 02:21:37 PM »
Stay tuned for the 18th green on my CC of Scranton tour.   ;D
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mark Pearce

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 02:26:53 PM »
Patrick,

It's in Kington, Herefordshire.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 02:29:28 PM »
Mark,

Thanks, I'll try to take a look tonight.

Is the rest of the course as neat looking as that 18th green ?

If so, I'd imagine that it's fun to play

Mark McKeever

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 02:35:18 PM »
Stay tuned for the 18th green on my CC of Scranton tour.   ;D

Yessss.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Mark Pearce

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 02:40:10 PM »
Patrick,

Yes.  It's a fascinating (if rather short and hilly) course with no sand bunkers but most greens are protected by mounds and hollows similar to those round 18.  SeanArble is a big fan and has profiled it http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,30926.0.html .  Fascinating "artificial" architecture but an excellent course.

Neil White

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 02:43:04 PM »
Neil,

Great looking green

Patrick,

I've no doubt Sean has explained the hole before - but yes that mound is quite pertinent when playing the hole.

My first visit to Kington saw me take aim at the Pro shop which is out of picture to the left and up the hill slightly, about 30 or so yards left of the green.  I hit a solid drive and my ball didn't appear to take the slope at all, settling about 30 yards left of the green about 10 or so yards short of the front.  Gutted.  By the time the third in our group had driven off my ball had decided to wander, slowly but surely down the hill and after the last in the group had teed off my ball had trundled to the front right of the green.  I was pretty chuffed until I got to my ball.

Between me and the back right pin location (in line with the telegraph pole) sat the mound - which cuts into the green on the right - so my choices were limited to chipping off the green or putt through the fringe grass to the pin.  I bottled and putted. A further two putts later and I walked off with par.  

I think I felt nearly every emotion playing that little hole as is possible, especially as the ball crept to the green.  :)

As for the clubhouse - whilst it is not the prettiest it has a great view of the first and last hole and I have spent a few hours watching other groups toil with the drivable last at Kington.  

Neil.

Jason Topp

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 02:43:40 PM »

John Kirk

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 02:46:09 PM »
Stone Eagle has a beautiful, dramatic 18th green.

I don't know how you can separate the green from the surrounding view, as one approaches the final green.

Others that come to mind in my universe:

Pebble Beach
Stanford University

Difficult for a uphill final hole to be the best looking.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 02:50:25 PM »
My thoughts after my first round at Kington: : http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,31022.0.html

Mark McKeever

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 02:57:59 PM »
I may be wrong but judging from Bill's OP photo I think he was going for the most attractive green setting to include the green and it's surroundings.

While the green itself in the Kington pic looks to be really cool the overall aesthetic is a bit marred by the clubhouse, the lattice fencing and the phone pole.

Agreed.  The 18th at Stonewall has a very welcoming feel the way it approaches the clubhouse and the farmhouse tucked in the valley of the two hillsides.

Mark

David Davis

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 03:00:05 PM »
Well, I'm certain you guys are disagreeing with me but that's life. The setting at Stonewall is far more beautiful indeed and clearly it's set up as a target golf course like so many US courses.

While I love the playability options presented to the 18th at Kington, ie run it up, bank it off the back drop fly it in and let it roll to the middle or be a fool and shoot at the pin in it's current position, the green and shaping to me looks manufactured. Maybe it's not but it's also not often you see those drastic shapes. It does not look to me like someone just went to a natural setting and placed the flag there.

I also agree that the clubhouse and fence etc is quite ugly, especially with the wind screen/errand shot protection and electric pole there. I'm surprised that you guys are calling this one of the best settings and even one of the best greens.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 03:34:11 PM »
Well, I'm certain you guys are disagreeing with me but that's life. The setting at Stonewall is far more beautiful indeed and clearly it's set up as a target golf course like so many US courses.

While I love the playability options presented to the 18th at Kington, ie run it up, bank it off the back drop fly it in and let it roll to the middle or be a fool and shoot at the pin in it's current position, the green and shaping to me looks manufactured. Maybe it's not but it's also not often you see those drastic shapes. It does not look to me like someone just went to a natural setting and placed the flag there.

I also agree that the clubhouse and fence etc is quite ugly, especially with the wind screen/errand shot protection and electric pole there. I'm surprised that you guys are calling this one of the best settings and even one of the best greens.

David,

as you say each to his own and having not been to Stonewall it is difficult to say but to me everything about it is contrived in look. Although Kington is obviously man made it is dramatic and fits the landscape.

Patrick,

I agree that the clubhouse building is not a thing of beauty but is behind the green the wrong location. Think Lytham, Muirfield, Birkdale, Hoylake.......

Jon

Mark McKeever

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 03:36:33 PM »
Everything looks contrived?  Its a 300 year old farm..

Mark

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 03:42:37 PM »
Everything looks contrived?  Its a 300 year old farm..

Mark

That Doak guy, quite the contriver  ;)

Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.

Are we sure that isn't faux stone?

Mark McKeever

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 03:50:35 PM »
The stone is legit.  To me the green and bunkers flow to the right like the rest of the land.

Side note:  I think I've been in every one of those bunkers at some point.

Mark

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 03:52:26 PM »
Clear Creek Tahoe gets my vote.

"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back