News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dave Greene

Re: Southampton's Fairway Bunkering...
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2012, 08:57:28 PM »
Pat,
Westhampton is a fine course and is much fun indeed. I understand they are in the process of rebunkering but I have no details. They have started to remove some trees too. I played there about a year ago when the tree removal was starting and I have heard from others that played there recently that the place is looking good. Thanks for sending some folks our way.

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2012, 08:57:50 PM »
Pat,
Westhampton is in the middle of doing some work now. They are completely replacing the irrigation system, and they are doing some bunker work while they are at it.
I do not kow the extent of what they are doing, but I do know that they are pulling the bunker short of the redan more in front of the green. They are also making the side bunkers on the redan much bigger and steeper.
As for cross bunkers, they are replacing a bunker that crossed the entire second fairway.
Again, I don't know the extent of what they are doing.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2016, 07:06:56 PM »
Not since Aiken GC have I been as surprised by a course as I was Thursday by Southampton.
Punchbowls, thumb print, Redan, a great short, Biarritz, Maiden, Double Plateau, Horseshoe,  And Road.
A great experience.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2016, 08:48:57 PM »
Well it is a Raynor in an area conducive to the game, as affluent as we have, and with some of the best neighbors in the country to raise the tide.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2016, 09:23:00 PM »
He's not on here much anymore, but he is as welcoming a host as there is. Gene Greco, Southampton's finest tooth fixer, was the driving force behind the restoration of Southampton. He gave me a supersonic tour one night in 2013, after I finished covering a round at Sebonack at the Women's Open. Absolutely devoted to his club. Two good stories about Southampton:

--I was told by others that members of the bigger, neighboring clubs have inquired about becoming members at Southampton, and have been politely rebuffed. "You have your courses, this is our little townie country club" is the essential message.

--I was on the shuttle from Sebonack to the parking lot one day, with a couple of brits (maybe Scottish, perhaps Irish) aboard. As we drove by Southampton's 15th and 16th, they commented "that's the type of course we have at home." Not Sebonack, not NGLA, not Shinnecock, but Southie.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Will MacEwen

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2016, 10:58:28 PM »
Irish are Brits?

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2016, 07:39:24 AM »
Not since Aiken GC have I been as surprised by a course as I was Thursday by Southampton.
Punchbowls, thumb print, Redan, a great short, Biarritz, Maiden, Double Plateau, Horseshoe,  And Road.
A great experience.

Add in the ability to walk/carry, golf only, low key clubhouse, a great bowl of chili that the kitchen leaves out for later in the day golfers, and your focus on "experience" is raised even higher.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Gene Greco

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2016, 10:50:09 AM »

Thank you, Ron.

Yes, we love our club, golf course and membership.

Greens are "all world" as stated by visiting members of Winged Foot, Pine Valley, Oakmont and Seminole.

I did put bees in a few bonnets over 20 years to have the course play firmer, have our green pads restored to their original size [size=78%]and also to reshape a few bunkers. However, the driving force behind the restoration to the extent to which it was done was not my doing. I had only dreamed of such happening.[/size]

Dave Green, Lawrence Cavolina, Jim Choinski, Butch Armusewicz and the Board are responsible for taking things to the limit.
Routing remains unchanged and the greens were never touched during the "modernization" done in the 1960s - BIG pluses.

Been checking in on this website since it was Traditional Golf in 1999 or so and still don't know how to post pictures.
Have a startling set of #12 "Long" from 1925, 2004 (pre-restoration) and post reno if anyone wants to help.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 10:52:36 AM by Gene Greco »
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Matt Bosela

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2016, 02:03:16 PM »
Here are the three photos of #12 that Gene was alluding to.

#12 at Southampton GC - "Long"

Pre-Reno (2004)

Post-Reno

Joe Sponcia

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2016, 02:06:12 PM »

Be still my heart!  What a before and after!

Here are the three photos of #12 that Gene was alluding to.

#12 at Southampton GC - "Long"

Pre-Reno (2004)

Post-Reno

Joe

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide".

- Mike Nuzzo

Bill Brightly

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2016, 12:57:10 PM »
Can anyone post a photo or two  of the punchbowl at Southampton?

Thanks!

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2016, 10:51:26 AM »
Bill,  Here are a few pictures of the Punchbowl that you requested.

16th Hole, from the tee:

From the fairway:

From right side of the fairway:

From the right side of the green:

From the left side of the green:

From behind the green:

Bret

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back