News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

10th Green at Blue Mound
« on: October 12, 2012, 04:01:30 PM »
Ran has thoughtfully posted http://www.golfclubatlas.com/blue-mound-golf-country-club-pg-ii/ on Blue Mound in Milwaukee.

He ends his treatise with an homage to the 10th green, the one that caused (even more than gravity) Ben Crenshaw's jaw to drop.

Why, Ran, why is there no photo of green # 10 in your treatise?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Adam_Messix

Re: 10th Green at Blue Mound
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 04:13:05 PM »
Hopefully George Bahto will see this question....

If memory serves, the 10th Hole at Blue Mound is called Prize.  Is this an example of a Raynor's Prize Dogleg or was it originally one?  I think a Raynor's Prize Dogleg has an unusual central bunker.  The only hole that comes close to this in my recollection is 6 at Southampton Golf Club.  It was the first hole I played and upon first glance, it has characteristics of a double plateau green.  Of course, the 2nd green is an excellent and pretty severe verison of a Double Plateau. 

Blue Mound is an excellent course and Ran's review brought back pleasant memories of my recent visit. 

Phil McDade

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 09:34:05 AM »
Best green at Blue Mound (which is a pretty high standard...)

Best green I've seen in Wisconsin.

The best green I've ever seen, anywhere.

Excerpted from a thread from two years ago (after a very wet spring/summer of 2010, compared to the drought of 2012 that Ran was able to capture in his profile): http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,45401.0.html

The 10th is not the largest green at Blue Mound (Double Plateau, #2, probably has more square footage, and the#4 Alps green and #7 Short are also probably larger). But it is among the largest there. What is really cool about the 10th green is that the severe contours create sections of the green that are all pin-able, and the size of the green means those sections provide several distinct pin positions. My guess is that the green has more than a dozen pin-able cups. And if you end up in the wrong section with your approach shot, have fun! During the Western Junior held at Blue Mound two years ago, the 10th played as the toughest hole on the course -- and it's a remarkably undistinguished hole, over very flat terrain, with fairway bunkering easily avoided, and greenside bunkers that are shallow, small and not terribly difficult to get out of, or avoid. It's all in the green.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 09:50:36 AM by Phil McDade »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 12:09:41 PM »
Phil, thanks for coming through in the clutch - I can now quit looking for my much inferior photographs.

The 10th is ridiculous  I would agree that there are few, if any better. 

While you're at it can you start another thread with photographs of the punchbowl green.  In particularly I hope you have photographs that reflect the two small parallel shoulders that blend into the green from opposite directions. 

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 01:12:57 PM »
Thanks, Philly mac...If I were a junior golf coach at BMCC, I would not let the kids chip, pitch or putt anywhere but green # 10. Crikes!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

William_G

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 02:53:26 PM »
love it, thanks  8)
It's all about the golf!

Mike Wagner

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 05:09:05 PM »
Awesome.  Blue Mound is full of amazing greens - my favorite course in WI.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back