News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

Gauging interest for a Saturday or Sunday get together on either 10/13, 10/14, 10/20 or 10/21.

We did Highlands of Elgin two years ago, Shepherds Crook last fall and Ravisloe this Spring.  Thoughts on a new location, possibly Spring Valley?

Current costs -

Highlands of Elgin - $41 ($34 in the afternoon)
Shepherds Crook - $25
Ravisloe - $65
Spring Valley - $18

Thoughts on a 36 hole day with the Crook and Spring Valley?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 04:39:43 PM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Bill Seitz

Re: 3rd Annual Chicago Fall Outing
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 12:13:25 PM »
I'd be up for the 13th or 14th.  May be headed to Kingsley the weekend after.  36 would be great if daylight allows for it.  I'd even be up for all 36 at Spring Valley.

Jud_T

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 12:28:09 PM »
I'm always up for Spring Valley, but I can only do the 13th and probably not 36 as I have an event that night downtown.  I've actually grown a bit critical of Shepherd's Crook recently.  Don't really care for 4 of the last 5 holes.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 12:36:41 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 12:38:21 PM »

I'd also be up for the 13th or 14th.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 12:42:01 PM »
Jud-

Guessing that 15 is the one you like.

Tell me if any of the following is off:

14 - The gully makes it too stern of a test, the average golfer is going to be left with a long iron shot in on a par 5.

16 - The marsh area to the left of the green is too penal.

17 - Awkward driving hole.

18 - The interruption of the fairway before the green limits the options on the second shot.

FWIW, the only one of these I agree with is 18.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Howard Riefs

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 12:46:05 PM »
36 at Spring Valley would be top on my list.

I'm available on the 14th. Unfortunately, I'm in South Bend with family on the 13th.

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jud_T

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 12:52:59 PM »
Sven,

16 is just an easy par 3 that is nothing special.  It's not a terrible hole, but there's really not much too it.  Pretty simple ho-hum par with an uninteresting green.  I guess there's nothing really "wrong" with it architecturally it's just a boring little connector hole. The left hazard isn't a problem as it's such a short hole unless you really hit it bad.  The only thing that salvages that stretch is 15 which is one of the better holes on the course.

As for 14, it's not the sternness of the test, although it generally plays like a par 5 1/2 as a 600 yarder that's into the prevailing wind, it's the full crossing hazard that's an awkward distance from the green for many.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 01:00:24 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 01:20:26 PM »
The gully (crossing hazard) is perfectly placed on 14, it makes everyone think on their second shot.  The only thing I don't like about the hole is the pond on the left, which is mostly hidden from view from the fairway.  With no pond there, a pull would still be punished by having to come in over the left greenside bunkers.  I think the hole needs a bit more width on the far side of the hazard.

The prevailing wind at SC is actually off of the lake, so 14 rarely plays directly into the breeze.  Even on days that start with a wind from the southwest, by midday the effect of the lake causes it to switch.  This time of year, the north breeze is more in effect than anything else, making the hole play downwind.

The problem with 16 is that they seem to err on moving the tees up as opposed to playing it back.  I'm not sure what they're saving the back tee boxes for, but they've been out of play on a frequent basis the last couple of years.  If there is any wind, 16 offers alot more interest, especially if played from the longer distance of the exposed higher tees.  I've hit punched 4 irons into the breeze, swung a draw back into a left to right wind and tried to run the ball up to front pins.  There's a bit more going on than first meets the eye.

I know you and I disagree on 17.  I find it to be a very cool driving hole (especially with the departure of the tree on the corner) and a pretty interesting green.  The further your drive, the better the chance of blocking yourself out.  If you can move the ball from right to left, the hole sets up pretty well.  Add in the slightly uphill nature of the approach which makes depth perception on the green tricky and even the shot in from a perfectly placed tee ball isn't that easy.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 01:21:34 PM »
Kingsley please.  I need to get up there myself once before I recommend it to my friends.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 01:22:48 PM »
Sven,

Thanks for putting this together. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to do either weekend. We have family plans, but they aren't set in stone. If something falls through and you still have room I may be able to join.

I may be shutting it down for the year anyway due to a herniated disc. The pain comes and goes, but some rest is probably a good idea.

Jud_T

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 01:25:17 PM »
JK,

Just say when, although time's running out weatherwise.  There's an event at month-end I might be up for, weather-permitting, if you're game that should be fun.

Sven,

I agree that 17 is much improved with the tree removal.  I don't hate the place, I've just gotten a bit more of a critical eye about it after repeated plays, as I have about Ravisloe as well.  
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 01:42:35 PM by Jud Tigerman »

Sven Nilsen

Re: 3rd Annual Chicago/Southern Wisconsin Fall Outing
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 01:33:37 PM »
Seeing as the crowd is leaning towards SV, I thought changing the title of the thread made sense.

Depending on further feedback, we're looking at either the 13th or 14th (with my apologies to either Jud or Howard). 

Jud_T

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 01:41:53 PM »
The gully (crossing hazard) is perfectly placed on 14, it makes everyone think on their second shot. 

Not those of us that are known to occasionally mishit a shot.  Then we're doubly penalized, as on 18....

Mark Smolens

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 07:17:38 PM »
Can't do 13th or 14th  :'(, and 20th is NU vs. Nebraska (hoping for 2:30 kickoff -- probably need a win this weekend ag. PSU to convince tv to make that happen), but no current plans for 21st. If there's an alternative group playing the following weekend, please advise. . .

And in the words of Coach Fitz, Go Cats!

Sven Nilsen

Re: 3rd Annual Chicago/Southern Wisconsin Fall Outing - Spring Valley
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 04:41:32 PM »
Called Spring Valley which has times available on the 13th around 8:45 - 9:00 and the course is pretty open after 10:00.  I'm leaning towards the earlier times, which would allow anyone that wants to stick around for an extra 18 the time to do so.

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 06:39:04 PM »
I'd be interested in the earlier times so that 36 is a possibility

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 01:36:22 PM »
We have two times booked at Spring Valley at 8:45 and 8:53 on Saturday the 13th (from the feedback I received the 13th worked best).  Let me know if you're in.

Also let me know if you have any interest in trying to get in 36 (putting Bill and Andrew on that list for now).

Sven

In:

Andrew Lewis (36)
Bill Seitz (36)
Jud Tigerman (18)
Sven Nilsen (36)

Jud_T

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 01:43:57 PM »
I'm guessing that at 8:45 the winter golf gloves might come in handy....

http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/US/WI/Salem.html

Brendan Dolan

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 11:38:22 PM »
Had a good time at Spring Valley this morning.  It would be pretty sweet to see that place with bunkers and the greens at their original size.  Sven, I would be interested in joining if you guys choose to do sunday the 14th.  No biggie if you stick with saturday.

Brendan

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 02:08:40 PM »
One last bump to see if there are any others interested in a round at Spring Valley this Saturday.  We currently have four spots open at 8:53.

SL_Solow

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 04:56:55 PM »
Out of town.

Dan Moore

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 09:57:16 PM »
On the 14 day DL otherwise I'd be there. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 03:34:23 PM »
Looks like we're facing a bit of a weather issue this weekend.  There's been a motion to postpone the Spring Valley outing to either the 20th or 21st.

Zack Molnar

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 04:17:09 PM »
If it is moved to next weekend I am available either day. Otherwise I am unavailable this weekend.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 04:39:29 PM »
Looks like we're facing a bit of a weather issue this weekend.  There's been a motion to postpone the Spring Valley outing to either the 20th or 21st.

I second the motion. I'm available on the 20th.

I'd also like to see a Molnar vs. Seitz match if Bill doesn't go to Kingsley.

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back