News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

Re: Fall colors on an under the radar Raynor. With lots of pics.
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 08:21:13 AM »
Nice photo tour Jeff. There are some cool looking holes and I'm guessing photographs flatten out the elevation a bit. The 14th hole looks really neat. I hope the club keeps up with the tree management plan...I agree that the tree on the cape hole looks out of place and in my opinion the evergreens behind #4 should go. Overall, great stuff though. Congrats on the new club!
H.P.S.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 09:00:41 AM »
Nice tour. Thanks for assembling it.

Beyond the tree on #8, what kind of animal is that drinking from the lake in the foreground of the photo?  

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 10:19:07 AM »
Howard,

It isn't an actual animal. There are several fake wolves around this pond in an attempt to keep the messy geese away.

Jason Topp

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2012, 11:37:04 AM »
Is the best course to which you have had a membership?  You have sampled quite a few of them.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2012, 12:01:38 PM »
Jason,

I think it is the best course I've had a membership at in Minnesota. Raleigh CC, where I played when I lived there, is also quite good.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2012, 03:09:10 PM »
Jeff,

Interesting you mention Raleigh CC as I have a friend who grew up in my neighborhood who has been a member there for years now.  He speaks quite highly of the place.  I've always meant to get out his way and see the place for myself, but haven't been able to do so as of yet.

"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2012, 04:18:25 PM »
Nice thread, Jeff. Your photography skills are better than you suggest.

MH doesn't overwhelm you, but I've never left the course with a negative opinion. I'd love to have seen the original Raynor holes, but the three replacements are not out of character, and not bad at all. Credit there to Paul Coates.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jason Topp

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2012, 04:51:16 PM »
Nice thread, Jeff. Your photography skills are better than you suggest.

MH doesn't overwhelm you, but I've never left the course with a negative opinion. I'd love to have seen the original Raynor holes, but the three replacements are not out of character, and not bad at all. Credit there to Paul Coates.

I fully agree with this sentiment.  They might be on the most interesting land.

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2012, 01:20:41 PM »
Nice Tour Jeff.

I haven't played here in 12 ish years. 

They really did a wonderful tree removal job. I seem to remember a thick stand of trees along both sides of #1.

This is really the ideal use of trees imo:  1) A few tall trees that knock-down errant shots, but allow balls to be found and recovery shots to be made.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2012, 08:35:54 PM »
Great tour, Jeff. It made me feel almost like a member!

That's a little bit of a joke, as the Minnesota GCAers know. Following Jeff's lead (and succumbing to a too-good-to-pass-up Fall Tryout offer from the club), I, too, have joined Midland Hills -- at least temporarily.

If I decide, in the end, not to join, it will be a matter of time and money.

It will have NOTHING to do with the golf course, which I really, really like. It gets way too little respect, even in the Twin Cities. I liked it when I first played it (w/ Rick Shefchik, in a scramble about 15 years ago), and I like it better now.

It's a blast to play. It's a good walk, with tees and greens all closely adjacent (except 9 green and 10 tee). It allows the Ground Game on about 15 holes. It isn't overly punitive to wayward tee shots (but has just enough trees, as Morgan observed, to make life interesting). Its greens are nicely varied in size and shape and types. It has quite a few greenside bunkers that will require real skill once you're in them. You won't spend much time hunting for balls at Midland Hills (except in the fall, with the leaves on the ground).

After three plays, my only real "criticism" (tentative) is that I wish there were more hazards off the tee, such as the bunkers on 11 (a really, really good hole).

There's a lot yet to be said about the course (a very sporty course with, to my eyes, extraordinary Shot Values), but for now, I just want to note something I observed today, while driving to Racine, Wisconsin, for my daughter Rose's final college conference tournament:

Midland has four par-5s -- Nos. 5, 6, 10, and 17. They head, in order, essentially north, south, east and west.

Midland has four par-3s -- Nos. 4, 7, 12, and 16. They head, in order, essentially south, east, west and north.

Addressing a couple of points made above:

The tree on 8 is a beautiful tree and simply adds to the charm of the hole. If it weren't there, everyone would aim right at the place where it sits.. With it there, one has to choose right of tree or left of tree (at least those of us with a low ball flight must choose).

And as for the green on 8: I hit to the back of that green with a wedge a couple of weeks ago. The pin was front right. I tapped the ball ... which ended up going 70 yards back down the fairway. Greatest miss on a putt for me, ever.

To Jason's question: Is it possible to run it up through the Biarritz valley? Yes. Jeff and I played the hole last night, from the back tee. Both of us hit driver. His carried just over the valley and stopped about 25 feet short. My low knockdown ran through the valley and stopped about 25 feet short.

Alas, neither of us made the putt.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

PCCraig

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2013, 02:28:27 PM »
I thought I would revive this thread as Mr. Shelman was nice enough to host me at his home club this past weekend. I had not played Midland Hills in my 2.5 years of living in the Twin Cities and now I'm a little peeved it took me this long. I thought the golf course was really good and very underrated.

While the front nine is a little shorter and some would call it "sporty" ;) , I would consider it quirky and fun that does a good job of warming the player up for the fun that awaits on the back nine. The back nine has a ton of really good holes. The 11th is a lot of fun and features a really cool green complex. The Biarritz is really fun and plays at the appropriate distance of ~230 yards. There is a really cool punchbowl template par-4. There is a Redan that I'm not sure is a Redan but it still has a super wild green (that I managed to 4-putt  :-X). There is also a pretty solid Eden on the front, a Cape with a pretty fun 2nd shot, and a lot of movement in the land that keeps even the lesser holes interesting, especially off the tee.

Midland's superintendent, Mike Manthey, deserves some strong praise for the way that the golf course is presented. Everything lends itself to showing off Midland's classic nature: straight line fairways, putting surface extending to the outer limits of green pads, gold-colored fescue in open areas of little play, and quite a bit of tree removal, particularly around greens. The turf was also in very good condition: firm, fast, and dense. Here's hoping the continue with the tree removals in the future to open up more vistas and playing angles.

Overall, I would say that it's the favorite of the three Seth Raynor designs in town (Somerset, Minnesota Valley, and Midland Hills) after one play at each over the last two years.
H.P.S.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2013, 03:56:56 PM »
Pat --

Glad to hear you enjoyed our course.

It's a Hidden Gem, IMO, right in the heart of a pretty major metro area.

Dan

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2013, 05:14:34 PM »
Looking at my earlier assessment of the course on this thread, I guess I hadn't played it recently enough to remember how good Midland Hills is. Having played it a few weeks ago with Dan, I'm really impress with the quality of MH. Fun, interesting holes (some nearly one-of-a-kind), and great conditioning. It's everything you could want in a convenient city course.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2013, 09:52:15 PM »
Pat and Rick,

Thanks for the kind words on the golf course. I think it is a fun golf course with a bunch of good holes.

Obviously if anybody else is in MSP and wants to tee it up, I will do my best to help make that happen.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2013, 11:41:04 AM »
Obviously if anybody else is in MSP and wants to tee it up, I will do my best to help make that happen.

As will I.

Don't be shy!

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2013, 12:17:45 PM »
And if you open your copy of the Confidential Guide, please remember that this course has had much restoration work done in the past 20 years.

It's no 3.

Jason Topp

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2013, 12:37:46 PM »
Dan and Jeff:  When can we play?

Dan Kelly

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2013, 02:06:56 PM »
Dan and Jeff:  When can we play?

THAT'S how to be not shy.

(Check your email, Jason.)

Dan Kelly

Re: Fall colors on a Raynor
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2013, 05:48:21 PM »

I am extremely sorry to report that while playing this hole yesterday -- August 14, 2013 -- Jeff and I detected "fall" color in this gorgeous (and wonderfully "strategic" [quotation marks a bow to you, Rihc Goodale]) tree.

The end is nigh!

PCCraig

Re: Fall colors on a Raynor
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2013, 06:19:10 PM »

I am extremely sorry to report that while playing this hole yesterday -- August 14, 2013 -- Jeff and I detected "fall" color in this gorgeous (and wonderfully "strategic" [quotation marks a bow to you, Rihc Goodale]) tree.

The end is nigh!

Something similar happened at T&C yesterday while playing in a match. Our competitor mentioned that X tree was already changing color and that fall was near...I said "No, it's changing color because it's dying." Queue the chainsaws (God willing).
H.P.S.

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2013, 07:19:24 PM »

Mark Johnson

« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2013, 07:37:05 PM »
Jeff,

how did midland survive the fierce hail from 2 weeks back?  are you fulling recovered yet?

Dan Kelly

« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2015, 03:14:11 PM »
Bumping, in case any of the Midwest Mashieites would like to comment.

Those who played it last Friday will note that we have made considerable progress in removing trees -- e.g., between 3 green and 4 tee, and between 4 green and 7 tee ... and elsewhere.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2015, 04:25:49 PM »
Jeff:

Great photos -- and a nice first-time effort. Looks like a great piece of land -- better than the land at Blue Mound, for instance. To me, the bunkering at Blue Mounds looks better than here, and it seems Raynor created more pure templates there as well. But I really like some versions of his holes here at Midland -- the Eden is really good, as is the Alps.

Tell us a bit about the greens -- any that stand out? And do the new holes mesh well with the Raynor holes?

Thanks -- good stuff!

I had the same reaction. Looks like a really good piece of land.
Tim Weiman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back