News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Shamleffer

No rough
« on: October 01, 2012, 07:51:35 AM »
Rough was almost a non-factor at this past weekends Ryder Cup.

Is this an example of championship golf being better with MUCH less rough.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Jason Topp

Re: No rough
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 11:57:35 AM »
Rough was almost a non-factor at this past weekends Ryder Cup.

Is this an example of championship golf being better with MUCH less rough.

I wondered if someone started a thread on this.  I agree.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 12:48:26 PM »
Nicklaus and Monty talking on Sky thought it was the wrong decision, that it should be set up as for a major. But I enjoyed seeing great golfers play some fabulous shots.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 01:02:31 PM »
Nicklaus and Monty talking on Sky thought it was the wrong decision, that it should be set up as for a major. But I enjoyed seeing great golfers play some fabulous shots.

Jack, it is set up like a major - the one you won 6 times.

Will Lozier

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 01:04:28 PM »

Well said Will!  Well said!

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 02:27:41 PM »

Will:

Great point.

I do not expect the USGA to suddenly try this concept, but since Augusta has not yet fully returned to their old tournament set-up, could this be the way for the PGA Championship to go.  Perhaps if the PGA were played under conditions such as the Ryder Cup was played this weekend that could differentiate it from the US Open and the The Open Championship.  There would then be something unique about the PGA and would offer a different type of championship test.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

SL_Solow

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 02:30:44 PM »
Minimal rough is a great concept if driving in the wrong position creates a significant disadvantage when trying to hit the approach close to the hole.  Otherwise, the ability to drive with length and accuracy, long a hallmark of championship golf, becomes irrelevant.  At Medinah the trees provide some dterrent to wild driving.  the problem with the new equipment is that the increased length coupled allows short irons which are easier to hold greens.  This requires rock hard greens to create the challnge.  I dislike the overemphasis on rough but I understand it more, not as a means to protect par but as a way to reward good driving.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 03:02:00 PM »
I'd like to listen to Monty and Jack try to explain in more detail how this year's Ryder Cup would have been more interesting and exciting with heavier rough. That makes no sense to me, at all. Letting everyone play real golf shots is the ideal. This can't happen when balls just a few yards off the fairway end up buried in heavy rough.

My hat's off to DL3 for requesting "no rough" at Medinah. This makes total sense to me; especially when the contest is match-play.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 03:03:52 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 10:37:52 PM »
There was rough!  It stopped several balls from going into the water to he right of the twelfth green.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 09:12:36 AM »

Will:

Great point.

I do not expect the USGA to suddenly try this concept, but since Augusta has not yet fully returned to their old tournament set-up, could this be the way for the PGA Championship to go.  Perhaps if the PGA were played under conditions such as the Ryder Cup was played this weekend that could differentiate it from the US Open and the The Open Championship.  There would then be something unique about the PGA and would offer a different type of championship test.

To be fair, the US Opens in 2014 and 2015 will have little in the way of traditional US Open-type rough.

How would the Medinah setup have changed Olympic this year? Would a lot of balls have careened off fairways and into tree trouble?
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back