News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil McDade

The Ryder Cup is just around the corner, and U.S. qualifying has ended, with these players in (order of qualifying):

Tiger, B. Watson, Dufner, K. Bradley, W. Simpson, Z. Johnson, Kuchar, Mickelson.

Davis Love III has four picks at his disposal. Here's the next list of players, 9-25 (in order of Ryder Cup points accumulated): Mahan, Stricker, Furyk, Fowler, Snedeker, Van Pelt, D. Johnson, Garrigus, Haas, Curtis, Piercy, K. Stanley, Na, J. Wagner, M. Wilson, Toms, Huh.

So who's he pick? In Dufner, Bradley, and Simpson, he has three RC rookies with little experience in international tournaments of any kind. But he also has a bunch of RC experience w/ Tiger and Mickelson, and previous RC experience with Bubba, Kuchar, and Z. Johnson. Davis seemed to hint that experience in past RC might be a deciding factor in who he picks, but also suggested that players could "play their way onto to team" during the Fed-Ex tourneys upcoming.

Also -- some interesting mix of playing styles. Tiger, Bubba, Bradley and Mickelson all could be characterized as long-ball hitters, and would perhaps benefit from playing on a long and beefy Medinah. But Dufner, Simpson, Johnson and Kuchar are not. GCA section: Does potential Medinah set-up influence his choices? How will -- or should -- Medinah be set up for the RC?

Speculation after the PGA suggested strongly that Love will choose Furyk and Stricker. Furyk, despite his last-round meltdowns, is one of the RC good-old-boys from Love's era and has had a pretty good year with 5 top-10s and 17th in FedEx standings. Stricker is a Tiger partner for alternate shot, and maybe fourballs as well (and, given his Wisconsin and Illinois ties, will have a huge fan base in Chicago). Love also seems to be a fan of Fowler, who had a pretty good RC debut in Wales two years ago.

Predictions? Here's mine:

What Love will likely do: Stricker, Furyk, Fowler and (ugh...) Mahan.

What I hope Love will do:  Stricker, Fowler, Snedeker (best putter available), and D. Johnson (big hitting intimidator).

What Love will do if he's totally thinking outside the box: Stricker, Snedeker, D. Johnson and Garrigus, a free-thinking, big-hitting former pot smoker (this year's Boo Weekley don't-give-a-crap RC success story). Oh, and he sits Tiger for both foursomes matches.

Prediction: Euro retains the Ryder Cup in a tie. Remember, always bet against the US winning the Ryder Cup when Tiger's on the team.

P.S. Euro Ryder Cup qualification system has me bam-boozled. Who is Jose Marie likely to pick?

Ulrich Mayring

Two out of Harrington, Garcia and Colsaerts. Unless someone knocks out Poulter, who occupies the last guaranteed spot currently, then he will pick Poulter.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Mark Pearce

Not sure he'll go with Harrington, he has made some comments to suggest Paddy needs to perform heroically over the next few weeks to get in.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Phil McDade

Re: Somewhat OT: Who does Love love? 2012 Ryder Cup picks w/ GCA implications
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 12:58:53 PM »

What Love will likely do: Stricker, Furyk, Fowler and (ugh...) Mahan.

What I hope Love will do:  Stricker, Fowler, Snedeker (best putter available), and D. Johnson (big hitting intimidator).

Stricker, Furyk, Snedeker, and D. Johnson. ;D

Solid U.S. team, as long as Love benches Tiger for foursomes. :D

Tim Leahy

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 02:29:31 PM »
thank god Mahan didn't make it, worst choke in Ryder cup history.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 02:34:06 PM »
Stricker to team with Tiger, Furyk to team with Phil.  Furyk was 5-0 in Prez Cup. 

Fowler is a great match play player.   

Sean Leary

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 03:20:24 PM »

Apparently you haven't seen any Ryder Cups except the last one...

Tim Pitner

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 03:30:15 PM »

I respectfully disagree. Not about the choke, rather, the guy is relatively young and has played pretty well over the past couple of years.

For all this talk about Furyk's experience, in 27 matches in his Ryder Cup career, he has won only 8 matches. 8. It seems like every year there is one of "these" picks from the US Captain. A friend who has been on several Ryder Cups even though his recored is not impressive in the event.

I agree regarding Furyk--he's the U.S. version of Mark James (going back a few years here).  I would have selected Fowler instead of Furyk.  Otherwise, I like the selections.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 03:30:55 PM »
I think Mahan and Fowler forced Love's hand a bit by not playing particularly well once they knew they'd have to rely on being Captain's Picks. Fowler went 0-3 in the 2010 Ryder Cup before halving his match against a guy who's now #185 in the Official World Golf Ranking. Fowler and Mahan will, little doubt, be fixtures on future teams, but they didn't get the job done. I'd love to see them both involved at Medinah; I don't know if Love will make that option available to them.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Phil McDade

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 04:20:39 PM »
It's a tough call between Mahan and Furyk. Mahan actually has a pretty good RC record -- he had two wins and three halves in 08, most of those w/ Justin Leonard. But he was average in 2010, and had a memorable chili-dip against MacDowell. He's a good fourball player because he makes lots of birdies, but I just don't think he brings much else to the table. Furyk has more experience, and a decent record in singles (4-2-1), but doesn't seem to have a natural pairing with anyone, and his match in 2010 was arguably as important as Mahan's chili-dip loss, because US had mounted a big comeback in singles only to see Furyk lose 1 up on the last hole to Donald and set the US back 12-9.

Phil McDade

What Love will do if he's totally thinking outside the box: Stricker, Snedeker, D. Johnson and Garrigus, a free-thinking, big-hitting former pot smoker (this year's Boo Weekley don't-give-a-crap RC success story). Oh, and he sits Tiger for both foursomes matches.

Prediction: Euro retains the Ryder Cup in a tie. Remember, always bet against the US winning the Ryder Cup when Tiger's on the team.

A conceded putt on 18 (by Tiger, no less ???) from hitting this on the nose. And I got three of Love's picks correct, and predicted Saturday night that Europe could sweep the first three matches and the Lawrie/Snedeker match could be piviotal.

Where's Cronan now? ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back