News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

Sunday at Medinah: A fan’s experience
« on: October 01, 2012, 11:04:43 AM »
Sure, the anticipated headlines tell the story of Europe’s historic comeback:

“Miracle of Medinah” (http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/article/Europe-hails-Ryder-Cup-Miracle-of-Medinah-3908233.php)
“Collapse in Chicago” (http://www.gadsdentimes.com/article/20120930/WIRE/120939983)
“Home is Where the Heartbreak Is” (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/01/sports/golf/europe-rallies-for-stunning-victory-at-ryder-cup.html)

For this fan, it was quite a drama-filled day with a see-saw of emotions – from early morning optimism upon arriving at 6:30am … to the dejection at 18 green some 11 hours later.

I primarily spent the day on #1 tee and #17 green. I joined a few hundred people at the main entry gate, which opened promptly at 7am and released the hounds, many of whom haven’t had that much exercise in years as they ran to their preferred spots. I made a bee-line to hole #17 and placed a towel and seat to ‘save’ a couple spots on the rope line, right-center behind the green where the pin was later placed.

From there, I ventured to the Merchandise Tent, which saw booming business all week and was fairly picked over. Nonetheless, I made a contribution.

Then into the stands at #1 tee, which surprisingly weren’t at capacity come 8am.  I stayed there until 12:40 and saw 10 of the 12 matches tee off. A raucous scene. Lots of flag-waving, creative Euro songs, the same “U—S—A” chant over and over, and general merriment before the scoreboard turned blue.

Then back to #17, where I spent the remainder of the day, watching the nine matches that came through. GCA’s Jason Walker flew in earlier the day from Philadelphia, and joined me.

Golfweek best tells the story on what we witnessed: “Five matches came to the 17th tee Sunday either all square or with the United States holding a 1-up lead. Europe won four of them, and halved Francesco Molinari’s match with Tiger Woods, which was completed after the Cup had been decided. The United States didn’t turn a single match in its favor over the final two holes.” http://golfweek.com/news/2012/oct/01/us-lost-behind-poor-play-nos-17-and-18/

It wasn’t difficult to see the tide shift. Donald hits to a foot from the bunker to close out Bubba. Webb bogeys to go AS against Poulter. Rory shuts the door on Keegan. Phil nearly chips in just before the shot that sucked the proverbial air out of the room: Justin Rose drains a 35-foot putt to go AS against Phil. After that, there was an entirely different vibe on the hole. And not a good one for the Americans.  

Anyway, some photos from the day. (Yes, I know fans aren’t supposed to take photos during the competition days. Consider it a public service for GCA.)

Early morning at Medinah

Tranquility at #17

The scene at #1

With new friends

Luke and Bubba start the day

Back to #17

Luke defeats Bubba, 2&1

Thanks, Bubba, for the ball

Poults practically poses

Tiger took dead aim at the pin; the closest of the day

Farewell, #17

The scene at #18 from early morning…

… quite different 10+ hours later
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 03:28:23 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

William_G

Re: Sunday at Medinah: A fan’s experience
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 11:42:17 AM »
thanks!
It's all about the golf!

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 12:12:35 PM »
Very neat Howard. Thanks for the images.
H.P.S.

John McCarthy

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 01:31:31 PM »
My story was similar to Howard's.  A friend and I volunteered and we discovered Saturday that we could walk in before the gates opened.  So we did.  

After much debate we thought that the best seats in the house were on top of the bleachers at 16th green.  That way we could turn around and watch 17 also.  

We got to our spot at about 6:30.  We were able to get our amex TVs without a line at 7.  Those tvs were great:  so were the little radios that we used the first two days.  BTW, BBC has much better coverage than PGA radio.  

The one beef:  not enough bathrooms.  

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/135775_468608726495144_1596532116_o.jpg

This was at sunrise walking across the bridge at 17.  I thought it turned out ok.  

(if anyone can pm the link how to resize pictures I would be in your debt)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 01:34:03 PM by John McCarthy »
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 04:12:18 PM »
Howard and John:

Can you walk us through the 5 or so minutes from when Mickelson missed his chip and Rose sank his putt?  Would love to hear what it felt like from someone who was there.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

John McCarthy

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 09:42:00 AM »
Sven: 

It was the most intense sporting event I have attended as a spectator.  We all thought Phil was dead back there from the severe slope in the back and would be lucky to keep it on the green.  Then he has his caddy take the pin out.  We are groaning.  Then the pitch goes up, lands soft and is tracking for the hole and juuusst misses.  (Mickelson may know a bit for about wedge play than this 16 handicapper in retrospect). 

Anyway, Rose has a long putt going away from him.  Remember, Phil just missed his putt on 16 to go dormie.  I figured Phil has his ball in his pocket, Rose two putts, dormie, we get the Cup despite some sweating on Sunday.  Then it is crossing the green with a lot of speed, tracking towards the heart of the cup....ole, ole ole for the next three hours.  As a lifelong Cubs fan I knew doom was coming when Rose drained that thing. 

The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Jud_T

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 09:51:08 AM »
More importantly, who saved your spot when you had to use the portajohn?  8)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John McCarthy

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 10:02:09 AM »
Jud:

Fluid intake stopped at noon.  So I went through this whole soul crushing thing sober.  

Never again.  

« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 10:06:24 AM by John McCarthy »
 PG Wodehouse

Howard Riefs

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 10:24:26 AM »
Howard and John:

Can you walk us through the 5 or so minutes from when Mickelson missed his chip and Rose sank his putt?  Would love to hear what it felt like from someone who was there.

Sven

From the time the Phil's chip landed on the green, it certainly looked like it was tracking nicely. Phil thought so too, as he started to walk-it-in. It missed two inches away on the high side.

Justin didn't take that much time to assess his putt -- even though a miss would mean the match. I would have laid 25-1 that he wouldn't make the 35-foot putt from the fringe on the back of the green.

Way back-and-through. Given the speed it was traveling, it appeared it would sail by 4 feet unless it caught the cup....

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/ryder-cup-093012-sun-no17-justin-rose/

"That putt there you just don’t make," said Johnny Miller.

What a mix of emotions in the stands and greenside. The Europe fans, who were much more vocal all day, simply erupted. "Ole-ole-ole." It was difficult for the marshals to quiet down the crowd as the match advanced to the nearby 18th tee, but they soon did.

Rose/Mickelson was the 4th match to come through 17 and the Euros had won the hole three times, and closed out two matches in the process.  

The AP golf writer Doug Ferguson says it all:

Here's what will be -- should be -- remembered about one of the greatest Ryder Cup competitions in its 85-year history. Justin Rose made a 35-foot putt from the back of the 17th green. It's really that simple.

''That was one of the best feelings of my life to make that putt,'' Rose said.

http://www.pga.com/news/ryder-cup/no-question-about-quality-play-ryder-cup-celebrated-success

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back