News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ivan Morris

Revenge Is Better When It Is Cold
« on: October 01, 2012, 06:23:34 AM »
The gods of golf have given back to Olazabal what they took away on the 17th green at Brookline in 1999. Had Ollie handled that awful moment in a bad way at the time - would the golfing gods have come around full circle yesterday at Medinah? Revenge is best eaten when it is cold. There was spiritual aspect to this victory that is highlighted in the Seve emblem. The ghosts of Brookline, the self belief of Poulter and Rose combined to produce a little bit of magic. Furyk was a disaster not because he lost but because of the way he lost. There is no 'I' in team. The Euros understand that. The Americans (especially Tiger) don't. I have to say I never saw this victory coming. The USPGA Tour needs a big examination beginning at the top Finchem Policies have a lot to do with this failure by U-S-A.

David_Elvins

Re: Revenge Is Better When It Is Cold
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 06:50:45 AM »

This is not a personal comment, Ivan, but we are now up to 10 non-architectural Ryder Cup threads on the front page of this board to go a long with 3 architectural Ryder Cup threads. 

Is there anyway these Ryder Cup threads can be merged or people can stop starting new ones, to remove some of the clutter?

Sorry to be the grumpy old man this time. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 12:13:07 PM »
Wow, I don't recall a saying ever being quite so butchered as this...
 :-X :P ::) ???

It's "Revenge is a dish best served cold."
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 12:31:46 PM »

This is small potatoes to GWB and "There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Terry Lavin

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 01:19:26 PM »
You lost me at "spiritual". I'm all for rallying around Seve as the Euros clearly did. But I doubt that the Yanks who yanked, yipped and puked their way through Sunday were beaten by the amorphous presence of the great Spainard. They CHOKED GAGGED AND GAVE IT AWAY. They three putted under pressure and did so repetitively. Saying this, I don't mean to demean the Euro victory. We puked and they didn't. That's how Europe kept the Cup. It was handed to them. The USA team should pay gift tax on this one.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Matthew Rose

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 02:31:45 PM »
I thought '02 was revenge. And '04, '06....

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 04:50:39 PM »

This is small potatoes to GWB and "There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

Yes, yes....well played.. :D
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Carl Rogers

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 04:57:30 PM »
The issue I see is the American Pysche.  As the US started loosing in the 90's, it did not seem to foster an attitude among the excellent young golfers at the time that a long range difficult in their professional goals must be to assert American dominance once again in this event.  The big house, fast car and the fondling doesn't cut it. I subscribe to the "Adversity American Style" theroy of everything being too nice and too easy.

I also think that the "experience" issue doesn't mean much by the third hole on Friday.

I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Jud_T

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 05:05:43 PM »
The good news is that the European Tour still has a pulse and the U.S. identified some young guys who can play Foursomes.  Now if we could get rid of the sentimental captain's picks on this side of the pond...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back