News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Ding Dong!!!
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2012, 07:17:51 PM »

Didn't look like he was grinding on it at all, but that's just me.

With all the legal sports book in Europe the putt could not be conceded.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2012, 07:50:03 PM »
Anyone besides me feel that Jim Furyk's career may have effectively ended on the 18th green today.  You all say that you wouldn't have wanted to see Kaymer miss, but I think Furyk's miss was just as devastating.

Bart

Mark Woodger

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2012, 07:55:57 PM »
a terrific day of entertainment. tv coverage over in the usa was pretty good given their need to stuff the adverts in. i don't think they missed any 'big' events but a lot of it was showing three quick shots that had already happened on a tape and then the final putt to win or halve the hole.

delighted to see the Europeans win with such a dominate singles performance. do come from 4 back on foreign soil is some achievement.

though ollie and DL3 were classy folks all week. particularly DL3's opening ceremony speech where he made a point of saying that we should rememer it is just golf and there  ultimately are more important things in the word.

Mark Woodger

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2012, 07:57:22 PM »
Anyone besides me feel that Jim Furyk's career may have effectively ended on the 18th green today.  You all say that you wouldn't have wanted to see Kaymer miss, but I think Furyk's miss was just as devastating.

Bart

horrific year for jim furyk. failed to close out the us open, an other big event and his ryder cup singles. i really feel for him.

with the pace of play in professional golf. maybe he needs 6 hour energy.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2012, 08:24:58 PM »
How does one sit the team of Bradley/Mickelson after having won their morning match 7&6?

Anyway, congrats to the European team!  Seve's certainly looking down and smiling on his Euros! :)
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Sean Leary

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2012, 09:04:28 PM »
I thought the Rose Mickelson match was the key.

Seems like Ryder Cup pressure once again is even greater than major pressure.

Why Stricker chipped that ball on 17 is beyond me.

Keith Phillips

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2012, 09:23:34 PM »
I thought the Rose Mickelson match was the key.

+1

Mickelson played solidly, and got beaten by three great putts in a row by Rose.  If Rose misses one of those putts the arithmetic changes and the US likely wins - solid effort by Phil but studly effort by Justin Rose - btw I thought Phil's body language/cheering for Justin after the putts on 16 and 17 was very classy..

Furyk was disappointing, and Stricker missed a couple - Tiger was solid (in the singles) and I believe he would have won if it mattered - his putt was about 1" longer than Molinari's and he had the class to concede Molinari's putt after his miss - with all due respect to Ollie, it was Seve himself who said 'Monty, geeve it to heem...' at Valderrama...as someone said earlier, it is about 'winning the Cup', not getting 14.5 points.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2012, 09:24:37 PM »
This was a great Ryder Cup. I thought this was the best and closest US team ever. There is alot to be proud off and to build on for the future.  They had a bad day today and the European team was incredible. They played great clutch golf. What great theater.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2012, 09:54:07 PM »
This was not the best US team ever.  That was in 1981 a complete group of superstars.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:37:03 PM by Mike_Trenham »
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Craig Disher

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2012, 10:07:46 PM »
I don't expect much agreement but I think it's a mistake not to play your best players during all 4 team matches. Woods and Mickelson should have played in all - perhaps pairing Woods with someone other than Stricker. Over 72 holes, the best players are likely to produce better golf than lesser players who might be hot for a round or two. JMO had the sense to use McIlroy and Rose as often as he could.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:38:59 PM by Craig Disher »

Sam Morrow

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2012, 10:54:41 PM »
I'm simply shocked that the power trio of Michael Jordan, Michael Phelps and Justin Timberlake were unable to bring home the gold for this team.

Shocked, I tell you.

Michael needs to stay out of golf and run an NBA team. I know the Bobcats suck, maybe he can help them.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2012, 02:16:57 AM »
Gentlemen,

A sterling effort by the Europeans! Seve must be smiling!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Jud_T

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2012, 06:13:41 AM »
Stricker and Furyk have just played their last Ryder Cup.  They never should have been there in the first place. 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2012, 06:56:34 AM »
Craig with Woods playing 3 of 4 pairs matches and losing all 3 it's hard to argue he should have played the extra round. Our second weakest player took him down 18 even if you ignore the final green Woods was the USA's weakest link.

Why do women prefer American golfers?

Because they can be on top for two days and still come second!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 07:04:49 AM by Mark Chaplin »
Cave Nil Vino

Tim Martin

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2012, 07:58:52 AM »
Stricker and Furyk have just played their last Ryder Cup.  They never should have been there in the first place. 

It shows that young nerves are required in that type of pressure packed situation. Same reason you don't see a lot of Major's won by guys their age.

Jud_T

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2012, 08:52:06 AM »
To me the biggest upset of the day that nobody's really talking about was Lawrie thumping Snedeker 5&3.  Love's captain's picks went a combined 5-8.  If you take away Dustin Johnson, Stricker, Furyk and Snedeker went 2-8.  Combine this with not overruling Phil's insistence on sticking with the pregame plan when they were red hot, and had only played 12 holes Saturday, and telling him he needed him and Keegan out there again you get a pretty poor coaching performance overall.  Looks like just as in his playing career, Davis just doesn't possess the killer instinct.  Leo Durocher may have had it right...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:14:30 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Michael George

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2012, 09:03:40 AM »
Jud - Agree fully.  Stricker was clearly the weakest American in this Ryder Cup and Furyk was not far behind.  In addition to those moves already mentioned, I question Davis having Furyk at the end where there was a chance of pressure on him.  Furyk has folded several times this year and should have never been in that late match.  Maybe they can make a 6 hour energy because he clearly lost steam the last several holes this year. 

Further, their 2 singles matches were the biggest disappointments because they gave their matches away on the final 2 holes.  Furyk went bogey - bogey when 2 putt pars on both holes give him the match.  And Stricker's decision to chip the ball just off 17 green was horrible.  Putt it down 1-2 feet away and go to 18 tied.  He almost bladed that chip into the water - even Dotty Pepper said that it had a thin sound to it.

I can live with the Mickelson loss, that was just unbelievably good putting by Rose, making a 12 footer on 16, a 40 footer on 17 and a 20 footer on 18.  At least Phil made Rose win the match and did not hand it to him.

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Mike Hendren

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2012, 09:16:55 AM »
I posted last week that the matches are nothing more than a glorified putting contest.  I stand by that today.  I have long believed that over time putting averages out.  Look at Colsaerts on Friday - unbelievable.  Then Saturday he could not have knocked one in the Grand Canyon without needing the rim.  

All this second guessing of Love and his line-up is silly.  Ditto the cheering.  Spiritual perspective - give me a break.  Putting is perhaps the loneliest endeavor in all of sports:  just a golfer, a club, a ball and a hole.  Neither karma nor saints help at all.

To borrow from Seve the bottom line is simple:  They meese, they meese, they meese. We make, we make, we make.

I have long thought Ollie was the consumate professional and am happy for him.  Reallly like Poulter, Rory and Rose.

Only distasteful thing I saw from the crowd was catcalling when players backed off (Bradley's new nickname:  Double-Clutch) or urging that putts be conceded.  

I was thoroughly entertained - that's all I expect from sports anymore.

Congratulations to the Europeans.  Well deserved.  Kudos to the Americans as well for taking it to the wire.

Finally, I can't help but think that I'd rather hang out in the team room of the Euro's, providing Monty wasn't there.  I'll bet if Kaymer had misssed his putt his teammates wouldn't have left him hanging - I didn't see anybody from the American side rush to console Furyk.

Bogey
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 09:39:47 AM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2012, 09:32:46 AM »
I didn't like it when Love passed on Hunter Mahan.  He had the experience plus he won the match play championship earlier in the year. 

Mike_Young

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2012, 09:38:03 AM »
I'm simply shocked that the power trio of Michael Jordan, Michael Phelps and Justin Timberlake were unable to bring home the gold for this team.

Shocked, I tell you.

Michael needs to stay out of golf and run an NBA team. I know the Bobcats suck, maybe he can help them.

Sam,
To his credit..when the fans in the opening match began shouting "Michael Jordan" on the first tee he quietly sneaked around the corner and exited thru the crowd...he did not want any attention taken from the team....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Sean Leary

« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2012, 10:20:33 AM »
I posted last week that the matches are nothing more than a glorified putting contest.  I stand by that today.  I have long believed that over time putting averages out.  Look at Colsaerts on Friday - unbelievable.  Then Saturday he could not have knocked one in the Grand Canyon without needing the rim.  

All this second guessing of Love and his line-up is silly.  Ditto the cheering.  Spiritual perspective - give me a break.  Putting is perhaps the loneliest endeavor in all of sports:  just a golfer, a club, a ball and a hole.  Neither karma nor saints help at all.

To borrow from Seve the bottom line is simple:  They meese, they meese, they meese. We make, we make, we make.

I have long thought Ollie was the consumate professional and am happy for him.  Reallly like Poulter, Rory and Rose.

Only distasteful thing I saw from the crowd was catcalling when players backed off (Bradley's new nickname:  Double-Clutch) or urging that putts be conceded.  

Congratulations to the Europeans.  Well deserved.  Kudos to the Americans as well for taking it to the wire.

Finally, I can't help but think that I'd rather hang out in the team room of the Euro's, providing Monty wasn't there.  I'll bet if Kaymer had misssed his putt his teammates wouldn't have left him hanging - I didn't see anybody from the American side rush to console Furyk.

Bogey

+1

When Seve or Sergio or Poulter shows emotion it gets deemed as fiery and positive. Bradley was fine. Yesterday the crowd was dead early and Keegan was trying to get them into it. I thought it was fun seeing Dufner show emotion as well.

If I am picking teams regardless of nationality I might pick Poulter first. That guy is a stud.

JSlonis

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2012, 10:29:34 AM »
Jud - Agree fully.  Stricker was clearly the weakest American in this Ryder Cup and Furyk was not far behind.  In addition to those moves already mentioned, I question Davis having Furyk at the end where there was a chance of pressure on him.  Furyk has folded several times this year and should have never been in that late match.  Maybe they can make a 6 hour energy because he clearly lost steam the last several holes this year. 

Further, their 2 singles matches were the biggest disappointments because they gave their matches away on the final 2 holes.  Furyk went bogey - bogey when 2 putt pars on both holes give him the match.  And Stricker's decision to chip the ball just off 17 green was horrible.  Putt it down 1-2 feet away and go to 18 tied.  He almost bladed that chip into the water - even Dotty Pepper said that it had a thin sound to it.

I can live with the Mickelson loss, that was just unbelievably good putting by Rose, making a 12 footer on 16, a 40 footer on 17 and a 20 footer on 18.  At least Phil made Rose win the match and did not hand it to him.   

Regarding Stricker's chip on #17...here is the text I got immediately after he hit it.  It was sent by a good friend of mine who was in the media area right behind Stricker:

"Blade city from Strick. I'm 10ft away. Awful!!!"

I'm surprised he didn't putt it in that situation. With nearly no rough, it's much easier to get it to gimme range with a putter.

JSlonis

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2012, 10:45:34 AM »

Bogey

+1

When Seve or Sergio or Poulter shows emotion it gets deemed as fiery and positive. Bradley was fine. Yesterday the crowd was dead early and Keegan was trying to get them into it. I thought it was fun seeing Dufner show emotion as well.

If I am picking teams regardless of nationality I might pick Poulter first. That guy is a stud.

Sean

Personally, I have no problem with a player showing emotion. For me, when it enters into "shameless" territory, is when a player repeatedly plays to the crowd to make more noise by acting as not only a player, but a cheerleader as well, in a sport that doesn't employ cheerleaders.

It's stale, regardless who does it. And I never remember Seve pulling such a sophomoric stunt.

Yeah David...Seve wouldn't cheerlead, he would only cough/clear his throat during your backswing.  ;)

George Pazin

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2012, 10:51:31 AM »
Terrific event, hats off to the Euros. Glad to see Rory's late arrival didn't hurt him, that would've been a shame. Rose's putts against Mickelson were incredible, as was Poulter's play overall.

Sitting Keegan and Phil was likely a small mistake, but in a sense, I'm glad it was made, as the overall event was great.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

hhuffines

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2012, 10:54:04 AM »
Bogey, I agree with your post and enjoyed it.  Seve was my favorite of all time and Jose is great too.  However, you have to hit the shots to be in postion to make putts and our boys just couldnt get it done.  Who, other than Tiger hit the green on 17 when it mattered?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back