News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

Ding Dong!!!
« on: September 30, 2012, 06:14:05 PM »
What a fight back.
Cave Nil Vino

Don Hyslop

Re: Ding Dong!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 06:17:11 PM »
One of the great days in golf history. An amazing comevback when virtually no one gave Team Europe a chance.
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 06:21:07 PM »
Reminiscent of the Brookline comeback in 1999!   But very special on foreign shores.  Congrats to the Euros. 

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
The U.S. needs an Ian Poulter. I don't see one on the horizon.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

noonan

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 06:22:33 PM »
Any captain that does not front load the final day is a moron - also sitting Keegan yesterday was stupid

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 06:26:10 PM »
 a great event.

Did not want to see Kaymer miss, no one should have to wear that.
The putt langer missed was a mean one on a less perfect surface.

But I would've liked to have seen Tiger playing where a win would do it and a tie wouldn't.

In my heart of hearts, I'd say that such a comeback wouldn't be possible with Larry Nelson leading the team.
Perhaps one day the PGA will use something besides popularity to pick a Captain.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 06:29:22 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Pearce

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 06:28:04 PM »
Olazabal fighting back tears on Sky.  I think the Ryder Cup still means more to Europeans...
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 06:31:13 PM »
Olazabal fighting back tears on Sky.  I think the Ryder Cup still means more to Europeans...

I completely agree. Ollie is still plugged into Seve, who saved this event. It didn't need to be saved, as far as the U.S. was concerned. The torch is being passed to Poulter, who cares with every fiber of his being. Keegan Bradley cares with every fiber of his sweater.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Don Hyslop

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 06:31:27 PM »
Any captain that does not front load the final day is a moron - also sitting Keegan yesterday was stupid
Not playing him and Phil turned out to be a big factor, but who knew!
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 06:33:52 PM »
Great final day by the Euros.  I am glad that Kaymer didn't miss - would hate to have the legacy of the German players missing key puts in the RC.

I guess now we look forward  to Scotland in 2 years!

Steve Pozaric

Terry Lavin

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 06:34:26 PM »
The Miracle at Medinah. The Yanks folded like a pup tent and the Euros took every gift gladly. Stricker, Furyk and Tiger, among others, should be ashamed.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Philip Gawith

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 06:36:18 PM »
Davis Love interview on Sky was pure class. He and Ollie brought real dignity to proceedings

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 06:39:30 PM »
Omega is issuing a new watch, it comes with stone hands and a bowel movement.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 06:40:58 PM »
a great event.

Did not want to see Kaymer miss, no one should have to wear that.
The putt langer missed was a mean one on a less perfect surface.

But I would've liked to have seen Tiger playing where a win would do it and a tie wouldn't.

In my heart of hearts, I'd say that such a comeback wouldn't be possible with Larry Nelson leading the team.
Perhaps one day the PGA will use something besides popularity to pick a Captain.

So true, the fact a guy like Larry Nelson was never captain was a shame. Hale Irwin is another guy who never got his chance. Atleast he got the Presidents Cup.

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 06:51:48 PM »
Unbelievable that DJ, ZJ and Dufner were the only ones to win on Sunday. And I still can't believe Tiger missed that putt. Unreal.

Tim Martin

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 06:51:54 PM »
Congrats to the Euros. Well played. I can`t think of a more deserving captain and a better example of grace and class than Ollie. I think Seve somehow had a hand in the outcome.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 06:56:06 PM »
Geez Terry, ashamed is a bit strong.  Disappointed, sure.  You'd have to have broken some moral tenet to be ashamed, is seems to me.  We haven't raised golf to that level; have we?

It was a great achievement and moment in the history of golf, and the Euros own it.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 06:58:23 PM »
Unbelievable that DJ, ZJ and Dufner were the only ones to win on Sunday. And I still can't believe Tiger missed that putt. Unreal.

Were they?  Wasn't sure as I think NBC showed a combined two and a half minutes of their matches.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

RDecker

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 06:59:49 PM »
Maybe monday Davis will send Tiger and Stevie back out and they can beat the grounds crew.  Sitting Dustin, Keegan or any of the young guns was a huge error.  Tiger and Stricker were what, collectively 0-5.  Unbelievable.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 07:02:05 PM »
Tiger doesn't miss that putt if it means something. He clearly didn't care.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 07:04:07 PM »
Maybe monday Davis will send Tiger and Stevie back out and they can beat the grounds crew.  Sitting Dustin, Keegan or any of the young guns was a huge error.  Tiger and Stricker were what, collectively 0-5.  Unbelievable.
Tiger won half a point.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 07:07:04 PM »
Matthew: If he didn't care, why didn't he just concede the hole, since the outcome of the Cup was already determined?

Mr. Woods ain't what he used to be.

WW

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 07:09:48 PM »
I think he definitely cared. His putt had ample pace and barely lipped out.

The Europeans' bottles of Moet don't taste as good in a tie.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 07:12:31 PM »

Didn't look like he was grinding on it at all, but that's just me.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

RDecker

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2012, 07:16:35 PM »
Oops, sorry, the reputed best player of all time did get a half.  On the bright side though our future teams look to have a good nucleus with some clutch performers in their 20's.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back