News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John McCarthy

Re: Saturday Afternoon Question: Can Europe Claw Its Way Back?
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2012, 09:20:16 AM »
I think Love is going to tuck all the pins to make birdies more rare. 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Mark Pearce

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2012, 09:33:23 AM »
I think Love is going to tuck all the pins to make birdies more rare. 
Which might suit Europe?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

John McCarthy

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2012, 09:38:05 AM »
Fewer birdies let you sit on a big lead...extend more matches.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Carl Nichols

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2012, 09:50:27 AM »
Fewer birdies let you sit on a big lead...extend more matches.

Only if you're making pars.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2012, 10:29:39 AM »
I can't remember another Ryder Cup where one side won so many lopsided matches--usually you see an even distribution of laughers.  The Euros have had to scratch out virtually all of their few wins.  That doesn't bode well for them in the singles.  It would be nice, though, to see the Euros mount a comeback and make this competitive. 

Alex Miller

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2012, 12:18:09 PM »
I wonder if Rory's little timezone mixup will help or hurt his and Europe's chances.

I can't believe the world #1 just showed up to his Ryder Cup match 10 min before tee off. Imagine the criticism that would abound on this site had it been Tiger showing up like this...

Sam Morrow

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2012, 12:24:50 PM »
I wonder if Rory's little timezone mixup will help or hurt his and Europe's chances.

I can't believe the world #1 just showed up to his Ryder Cup match 10 min before tee off. Imagine the criticism that would abound on this site had it been Tiger showing up like this...

I don't feel bad about my time zone confusions in the Sand Hills, I didn't have an entire team keeping me on schedule, I had me and an Android.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2012, 12:41:38 PM »

Not buying it for a second. How many times has he played golf in Chicago...or US timezones? Comes in with an entourage and they all forgot how to read the time? They haven't ever used their cell phone which auto adjusts to the timezone you are in?

Gamesmanship or a distraction or something else..but on accident...no friggen way.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2012, 12:42:17 PM »

Not buying it for a second. How many times has he played golf in Chicago...or US timezones? Comes in with an entourage and they all forgot how to read the time? They haven't ever used their cell phone which auto adjusts to the timezone you are in?

Gamesmanship or a distraction or something else..but on accident...no friggen way.

Rory was on a bender or at a swingers club with Phil.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2012, 01:37:20 PM »
Something that no one seems to be talking about is how much better the U.S. teams have gotten since Azinger demanded the U.S. captain get 4 picks.  No longer are we sending the likes of JJ Henry, Vaughan Taylor and Brett Wetterich to the Ryder Cup (who predictably got waxed at the K-Club).  You have to believe the Euros would love to sub out a Hanson or a Molinari for another captain's pick.  With that said, I understand Olazabal probably wouldn't have picked Harrington, who would be the obvious choice here.  The Euros have more political issues (namely wanting to select some players who play mostly on the European Tour) with their selection process than we do. 

Sam Morrow

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2012, 01:43:34 PM »
I'm glad Europe doesn't have a guy like Carl Petterson.

Tim Martin

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2012, 04:45:47 PM »
Justin Rose is an assassin and classy as they come. WOW!!!!

jeffwarne

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2012, 05:28:55 PM »

They both were.
This is getting good.....

and now the US needs a miracle
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 05:32:42 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Pearce

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2012, 05:43:38 PM »

They both were.

The pessimist in me has Woods winning the Cup for USA still but who saw it this close?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2012, 05:44:42 PM »

They both were.

The pessimist in me has Woods winning the Cup for USA still but who saw it this close?

NBC would jizz in their pants.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2012, 05:48:36 PM »
Both teams seem to have taken the personalities of their captains today. Olazabal was always tough as hell and Love was an underachiever.

Martin Toal

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2012, 06:19:51 PM »
The PG-13 version of what I just said is 'My Goodness'. I went for a NC-17 version in real life.

Martin Toal

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2012, 06:25:48 PM »
The PG-13 version of what I just said is 'My Goodness'. I went for a NC-17 version in real life.

I just said it again after Tiger's putt. Fair play to him on the concession, though.

Jud_T

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2012, 06:26:21 PM »
Guess sitting Bradley/Mickelson yesterday and putting you're rookies out early was 't such a brilliant call.  I have to say I was rooting for the comeback.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Dane Hawker

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2012, 06:28:15 PM »
Good job, im glad the euros won.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2012, 06:32:57 PM »
Guess sitting Bradley/Mickelson yesterday and putting you're rookies out early was 't such a brilliant call.  I have to say I was rooting for the comeback.

In 99 didn't Mark James send out all the rookies first?

Matthew Rose

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2012, 06:52:18 PM »
Shattered. Absolutely shattered.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Jud_T

« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2012, 06:55:38 PM »
Picking Stricker and Furyk was crap, and I'm not just armchair quarterbacking.  It was pretty controversial beforehand.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Carl Rogers

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2012, 06:58:09 PM »
A day that will live in American Golf infamy........................

the new saying for all future American Ryder Cuppers is do not pull another "Medinah"
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tim Pitner

« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2012, 07:01:11 PM »
Wow.  All credit to the Europeans for some great play, including from some of their players who struggled most of the week.  They came up big.  And too many Americans--Stricker, Furyk and Woods chiefly among them--came up small. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back