News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Martin Toal

Re: Conway Farms
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2017, 11:04:39 AM »
Heard from some members at CF that they will be getting assessed for having the BMW there.
Ouch.

Sorry, but what does that mean? Levied charges on their membership fees?

Costs for hosting the tournament exceed revenue generated by the tournament.

Costs - Revenue = $x

X = assessment levied on members by the club to make up the deficit. Otherwise known as a financial clusterf**k.

Caveat: I heard this from members, but do not have first-hand knowledge.

Never heard of that being done over here.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2017, 09:47:37 AM »
What I will say about Conway Farms is when I first played it in 1992 (I think) as a teen who's primary exposure was small town golf courses and Chicago area Country Clubs that all fancied themselves as "shorter Medinah's" overgrown with trees, Conway Farms was eye opening.   I believe it was the first time I saw "whispy fescue" or any real contrast to the tree-lined prevalent trend of the day. 

What I can say without a doubt is at that time, I enjoyed and remember those 4 - 5 rounds in the early-mid 90's at Conway Farms more than rounds played at courses like Flossmoor, Ravisloe, Glenview, Onswentsia, etc.  Looking back, I believe it was because it was so different and sparked something deeper about width, bunker asthetics, etc. 

Now, most of the top clubs have been renovated and restored much of their charm, while Conway's changes from the original design have not improved it's character, IMO.  I also thought the current 3rd made a better starting hole with the current 1st and 2nd wedged into the 8th and 9th.  Conway is still a fun place to go, even if it's not the greatest course in the area, but it does deserve some credit for bringing a fresh look to Chicago at a time when the "elite clubs" norm was very different.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2017, 11:52:20 AM »
FWIW, I talked to a Conway member who says there is no forthcoming assessment.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Bill Crane

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2017, 12:58:49 PM »
I was struck by the revetted bunkers and what appeared to be faux gorse.   

Probably some sort of evergreen shrub to give the appearance of gorse.

JWinick

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2019, 02:24:35 PM »
I played it recently.  I don't know what you guys are seeing, or perhaps you are expected to think this is a good course because of the BMW, but I think it's pretty much a disaster.   There is out of bounds on most holes, and the fescue is so overgrown, it's effectively out of bounds.    There's about a 20% chance of finding a ball in the fescue and about a 20% chance you can advance it 50 yards.   

I hate to be harsh, but I'm struggling to find a private club in the Chicago area that Conway is better than.    I do like what they are trying to do (walking and golf-only) and it is a solid property, but the design is one of Fazio's worst.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back