News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Golf between Nottingham and Leeds
« on: September 28, 2012, 06:26:00 AM »
A friend wants to play golf in October somewhere not too far from the M1 and detween Nottingham and Leeds.  He has played Notts, Alwoodley and Moortown and Lindrick is not available on the day he wants to play.  I have suggested Sherwood Forest or Coxmoor.  Is there somewhere obvious that I'm missing?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

James Boon

Re: Golf between Nottingham and Leeds
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 07:14:15 AM »
Mark,

The short answer is no, you haven't missed anything obvious.

Worksop would be a possibility. Up into Yorkshire there is Sitwell Park but I've not played it myself but maybe that's just one for GCA archaeological geeks? I dont really know Sheffield for golf so perhaps there is something there? Waterton Park near Wakefield isn't a bad new course?. Up in Leeds there is also Sand Moor?

If its a weekend round he is after (pretty much out of holiday for this year) and still struggling, let me know.

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 09:07:31 AM »
I second James's opinion of Sherwood Forest and Coxmoor. The best courses in and around Sheffield, apart from Lindrick, are Hallamshire, Dore and Totley and Abbeydale. Of the others nearish Leeds I'd add Huddersfield (Fixby Hall) and Pannal (Harrogate).

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 11:15:25 AM »
It depends how far you want to travel.

I would say that Sherwood Forest, Coxmoor, Hallamshire, Dore and Totley and Abbeydale are all worth a look. In Leeds Sandmoor, Scarcroft, Headingly, Howley Hall, Moor Allerton, Selby and Leeds Golf Club are all worth a look. Further a field Huddersfield (Fixby Hall), Crossland Heath, Baildon and Pannal (Harrogate) or either of the York clubs (Fulford and Strensil) as well as Ganton though these are a little way off the M1 track.

Jon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back