News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ward peyronnin

GolfClubAtlas Qouted
« on: September 25, 2012, 10:00:55 AM »
Don't really know exactly where to go with this thread but I found it amusing/satisfying/interesting to discover that the Sleepy Hollow Country Club webpage quotes the course description, penned by our authors, verbatim for the entry on the golf course. ( Sorry Ran not credited)

This is not in itself earthshattering but does anyone care to participate in an informal survey of other instances where this site has served as primary source  reference and the significance of that usage?
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Ted Sturges

Re: GolfClubAtlas Qouted
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 10:19:21 AM »
Don't get T. Doak started on this one.  He apparently "gave an interview" to a writer, who did nothing more than pull Tom's quotes from a thread on this site.  Yikes!  I'm sure there are other examples of improper source referencing.

It runs both ways I suppose.  I'm just waiting for Ran to get the call from a certain club in the Northeast about certain photos that have (re)appeared on this site. 

Take a good look at them while you still can.

Shhhhhh....

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 10:19:57 AM »
This is not in itself earthshattering but does anyone care to participate in an informal survey of other instances where this site has served as primary source  reference and the significance of that usage?

I can think of at least one blogger who uses this website as a liberal source of inspiration.
H.P.S.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 10:26:28 AM »
+1 Brian S
@theflatsticker

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 10:40:19 AM »
There was a hard cover book published that consisted of photographs of great golf holes with quotes from many posters on this site, including me.  The name escapes me.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 11:04:37 AM »
More evidence

There’s a recent thread about the new (revised) book that’s only available on Kindle concerning Sunningdale and it’s changes. Paul Turner rightfully identified pictures that were lifted from here without credit.

The first Colt book produced by Henry Lord quotes my piece on Colt from the IMO section. They asked if I had anything else and could they have permission to Quote the article.  I said fine as long as the source, GCA, was credited.   It didn't happen and there’s hardly a  credit in the book, yet it mainly consists of copying the Club history for each chapter. As part of it's marketing it was then sold thorough the Pro shops, so some members now unwitingly have paid for the same information twice.

I have one of those Golf page a day perpetual calendars and once a year I get to read a thought of Tom Paul.  I doubt he gets royalties.

As Ward suggests,  I’m not sure where this goes. As long as this is an open site it will happen.  Occasional rudeness/plagiarism/theft is better than a few dingbats just sharing this stuff amongst themselves.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:21:43 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Woodger

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 11:17:18 AM »
It runs both ways I suppose.  I'm just waiting for Ran to get the call from a certain club in the Northeast about certain photos that have (re)appeared on this site. 

Take a good look at them while you still can.

Can you just tell us the course and the post a link to the thread so we can see them? these cryptic postings drive me nuts. Use numbers instead of letters (0 instead of O) if you don't want it to come up in a google search. Sorry rant over.

if there is a real reason not to post the name then i apologise unreservedly.

Ted Sturges

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 11:27:44 AM »
Look at the Rat and Toilet plunger topic.  Great pics of a course rarely seen by anyone.  Name of club left out on purpose (on the thread as well).

Mark Woodger

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 11:30:35 AM »
thanks Ted

ward peyronnin

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 11:39:22 AM »
Mark

Ted speaks from experience as a previous review of this track had to be removed back in the day.

Pete...John is a road contractor and I will leave it at that
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

corey miller

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 01:34:36 PM »

Sleepy Hollow did ask Ran if it would be okay to link his review on GCA with the club website. 

This site was a wonderful resource for the club  decision makers before and during the restoration process.  I thank Ran for that, we as a club value his opinion.  I would hope exposure such as this, with all the information available on this site, would help other clubs in the future. 

Niall C

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 01:38:02 PM »
well said Corey

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 02:01:22 PM »
There was a hard cover book published that consisted of photographs of great golf holes with quotes from many posters on this site, including me.  The name escapes me.

I saw this book, too, but can't remember now what it was.  I was pretty surprised by the approach.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 02:09:56 PM »
I have to give Redanman credit for not recommending the book on his blog considering he too was quoted. The author asked my permission which I granted under the condition he did not use my real name.

Scott Warren

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 08:10:41 PM »
Ted,

Don't get T. Doak started on this one.  He apparently "gave an interview" to a writer...

No one ever claimed Tom "gave an interview" in that instance, as your quote above suggests (and the article in question was soon amended to credit GCA.com).

Perhaps you might be so kind as to stick to the facts what actually happened if you insist on dredging that back up.

David_Elvins

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 08:19:16 PM »
There was a hard cover book published that consisted of photographs of great golf holes with quotes from many posters on this site, including me.  The name escapes me.

You are too modest.  

Back before the search function was disabled, I collected a few hundred Tom Doak quotes and put them in a book along with some of my favorite photos. 

Unfortunately I only printed one copy of the book and have misplaced it.  I am sure it is a box somewhere but it is possible that someone as found it in a second hand bookstore and is in posession of a book rarer than the confidential guide. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 08:23:59 PM by David_Elvins »
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Bill Crane

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 01:21:05 PM »
Many of the Outpost Club course profiles utilize GCA club reviews, including three of the four home clubs.  All are attributed to Ran Morrisett’s review on golfclubatlas.com.   

Daniel Wexler’s American Private Golf Club Guide descriptions are also used and properly attributed.  I have never seen this book and am curious what it is like.

Ted Sturges

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 10:41:40 AM »
Ted,

Don't get T. Doak started on this one.  He apparently "gave an interview" to a writer...

No one ever claimed Tom "gave an interview" in that instance, as your quote above suggests (and the article in question was soon amended to credit GCA.com).

Perhaps you might be so kind as to stick to the facts what actually happened if you insist on dredging that back up.

Really?  You're gonna scold me for this?  You didn't even pull my entire quote above.  Tom was in fact quoted in your article (I read it and the article certainly implied that Tom was speaking to the author...I knew those quotes had been on GCA so I thought it was unusual) and it was not properly attibuted to this site when it was released.  What "facts" did you want me to "stick to"?  Agree that nothing is gained in dredging this up, and my apologies if this is a sore subject for you...just a little surprised you want to take me to task for citing this as an example of improper reference sourcing, which until you corrected it after the fact, it was.

TS

Scott Warren

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 03:54:48 PM »
Because by including quotation marks around "gave an interview", you suggest I directly claimed that - which takes the incident from accidentally misleading to deliberately deceptive.

The difference between the two is significant.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 04:04:56 PM »
Ted,

We've had that discussion.  What good do you think will come from having it again?  Or are you, as it appears, just trolling?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ted Sturges

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 05:17:05 PM »
Mark,

Seems like you're having a bad day.  Go treat yourself to a round of golf.  A few well struck golf shots can pick up even the worst days.

Cheers,

Ted

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back