News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard_Mandell

Have You Registered for the Symposium On Affordable Golf Yet?
« on: September 25, 2012, 07:39:51 AM »
The Symposium on Affordable Golf will be held October 29-30 at Southern Pines Golf Club.  Visit www.symposiumonaffordablegolf.com to sign up to attend for free. Golf pros and superitnendents get continuing education.  

Few GCAers have signed up so far despite their discussions on the topic on this website.  Why is that? Do I need to set up computer monitors to get you guys to attend? Come interact with the golf industry and let them hear your thoughts. Isn't that what GCAers want? To make a difference in preserving the game of golf in the face of a business that is making the game difficult to enjoy for many reasons?

Speakers include:

Jim Hyler, Immediate Past President of USGA
Robert Randquist, Immediate Past Presdient of GCSAA
Jim Dodson, Author
Michael Hebron, PGA Master Professional
Teresa Wade, Founder of Experience Green
Dana Radar, LPGA Master Professional
Mike Nuzzo, Golf Course Designer and GCA Devotee
Gordon Irvine, Master Greeenskeeper and Askernish Expert

Also be sure to take the Golf Experience - Your Way Survey atour website.  So far, 700 people have taken the survey.

DON'T LET KRIS SCHREINER  BERATE YOU - SIGN UP FOR THE SOAG TODAY!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 07:42:58 AM by Richard_Mandell »

Jordan Caron

Re: Have You Registered for the Symposium On Affordable Golf Yet?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 01:17:33 AM »
Nice list of speakers Richard.

This topic interests me but I'm too far away and too tight for cash to attend. I've passed it onto a few golfers I know of in that area.

Would love to chat more about this and hear your thoughts.

Emmy

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 02:42:23 PM »
Thanks Richard, for once again hosting the Annual Symposium on Affordable Golf.

Unfortunately, this year it overlaps with the CGCOA annual meeting in Nor Cal. 
While I am unable to attend the symposium this year, I will help spread the word via Twitter and FB.

Richard, might you consider hosting the symposium on the West Coast in 2013?
It's just a thought....

To Your Good Work,

Emmy

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 03:00:07 PM »
If you can't make it, thanks for at least trying to direct people to the event who can.  Also, remember to take the survey.  That helps too.  Emmy, I may consider the west coast one year as we have discussed in the past.  Let me get this thing grooved another year or two before I consider taking it on the road.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 03:04:25 PM »
Good idea to stream this over the internet.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 03:45:03 PM »
Nice website Richard. I reviewed the previous symposium notes looking for a definition of affordable. It was first up in 2010 and rightly so. After reading the summary I am left wondering if "affordable" really means anything. Seems to me that you advocate growing the game at all socioeconomic levels. If so, affordable is just what you state, a relative term. Some people have very expensive cars (Augusta), some are less expensive (Manor Country Club), some take a bus (public), some ride a bike (driving range). The question is, do manufacturers/providers and customers know where to go to get what they want and do they know why they want it.
Maybe Accessible is what I am thinking of. Anyway, I am interested in how you share this information with market participants.
Regards,
Jeff Taylor

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 09:09:13 PM »
Jeff:

You are absolutely right.  Affordable is a relative term when you really break it down and the White Paper from the 2010 Symposium really touches on that idea.  You can find it on the website. Our very first presentation that year was entitled, "What is affordable?" It is such a all-encompassing concept that it is hard to develop a plan of attack, so to speak. 

That isn't what we try to do for obvious reasons.  What we do try to accomplish is informing golfers and industry leaders alike about other ways to look at the game that may lead to cost savings at any level.  Sort of an "outside the box" approach that frankly for me leads back to the principles of design that were prevalent in the Golden Age and are responsible for many of the great golf courses we talk about on this website.

Those cost savings, ideally, would have no effect on the game itself.  Instead they may affect other elements that surround the game such as operations and conditioning and some aspects of design. I always come back to the idea that great architecture trumps lots - operations, conditioning, aesthetics,  - all leading to cost.

Jason Topp

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 10:58:11 AM »
Richard:

I appreciate your efforts in this area but, not being in the industry, I am unlikely to attend unless I am in the area already.  Travel time away from home is a valuable commodity and, among the causes I care about, the economy seems to be taking care of affordable golf.  One way to attract GCA'ers such as me would be to coordinate the symposium with the Dixie Cup.  I would definitely tack an extra day onto an existing trip to attend.  I will take the survey and wish you the best of luck with the Symposium.

Jason Topp

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 11:11:36 AM »
One suggestion - I am not sure how convincing a survey is when it is taken by a self selected group of people interested in affordable golf.  If possible I would suggest trying to either conduct a survey of the general golf (or potential golfer) population or attempt to study how the amnenities you list relate to dollars spent by the general golf consumer. 

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 11:16:24 AM »
Thanks for the reply Richard. Your passion is obvious and contagious. I tend to believe that sooner or later, all information gets out and consumers make their choices in a rational way. Sometimes those choices are based on other aspects of their lives instead of just the topic at hand. Becoming a repository for cutting edge practices is a good thing. Does that help the industry grow? Beats me. What should growth expectations be in an economy like ours in these times?
I attended a few classes on the U.S. Constitution. The institution providing the content did simulcast to their website. Your participation rate would increase if CE credit is attached and you can find a way to simulcast and verify attendance. They would not necessarily have to log on live. They could observe the symposium at their convenience.
Food for thought.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 11:55:08 AM »
The Symposium on Affordable Golf will be held October 29-30 at Southern Pines Golf Club.  Visit www.symposiumonaffordablegolf.com to sign up to attend for free. Golf pros and superitnendents get continuing education.  

Few GCAers have signed up so far despite their discussions on the topic on this website.  Why is that? Do I need to set up computer monitors to get you guys to attend? Come interact with the golf industry and let them hear your thoughts. Isn't that what GCAers want? To make a difference in preserving the game of golf in the face of a business that is making the game difficult to enjoy for many reasons?

Speakers include:

Jim Hyler, Immediate Past President of USGA
Robert Randquist, Immediate Past Presdient of GCSAA
Jim Dodson, Author
Michael Hebron, PGA Master Professional
Teresa Wade, Founder of Experience Green
Dana Radar, LPGA Master Professional
Mike Nuzzo, Golf Course Designer and GCA Devotee
Gordon Irvine, Master Greeenskeeper and Askernish Expert

Also be sure to take the Golf Experience - Your Way Survey atour website.  So far, 700 people have taken the survey.

DON'T LET KRIS SCHREINER  BERATE YOU - SIGN UP FOR THE SOAG TODAY!

Kris Schreiner has no leverage to berate anyone to attend while also advocating caddy programs which only add cost and fat to an already overbloated industry.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 03:18:34 PM »
Richard:  Sorry to say that I must beg off this year.  I have been diagnosised with coronary heart disease and am in process with cardiac catheterization S/P laser atherectomy.  That's "putting in a stent or two".

It's like changing the grass on the greens.

Hope to be with you after the 2013 Open!

Willie

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 03:49:42 PM »
Richard:  Sorry to say that I must beg off this year.  I have been diagnosised with coronary heart disease and am in process with cardiac catheterization S/P laser atherectomy.  That's "putting in a stent or two".

It's like changing the grass on the greens.

Hope to be with you after the 2013 Open!

Willie

or upgrading the irrigation system.
Best of luck and health.

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 04:09:55 PM »
Jason - The survey is open to all golfers and not to a select group of people.  We have marketed far beyond just GCA.  I can also tell you that 77% of the 716 respondents so far are not in the golf industry.  They are just golfers.

Maybe the Dixie Cup can coordinate with the Symposium next year.

15% of attendees the last two years to the Symposium were golfers not affiliated with the business. 

Jeff:  PGA and LPGA professionals as well as golf course superintendents can obtain CE. We will look into the simulcast.

Thanks.

Willie:  Sorry to miss you this year and hope you recover quickly.  I will be at Merion for the Open so let's spend some time then.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 01:33:23 PM »
Kyle,

Caddie golf has been the single greatest source of the game's champions and differencemakers in the game's history. The game sure as hell was FAR healthier when caddie golf was better supported than it is now. They also are the most efficient and resource-conserving method to enjoy the game beyond just walking yourself...they ALREADY EXIST and don't need to be manufactured or produced, as does everything else. I could go on and on champ; you are a caddie hater. Wonderful.

Show you are a little bigger than the pathetic cheap shot you are attempting to make which falls flat. Rich's humerous line, taken in good cheer, as I'm a HUGE advocate of what he is doing and have been quite vocal and verbal in ecouraging folks to attend...is sadly taken by you and twisted to what?...get a dig in?

Grow up dude, you are better than that. I think. If you'd attend one(I know you haven't) and perhaps LEARN from a group of people that don't think they know it all and share insights to advance each other...you'll be on your way!

Cheers,
Kris  8)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 01:40:07 PM by Kris Shreiner »
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Kyle Harris

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 09:36:31 PM »
Kyle,

Caddie golf has been the single greatest source of the game's champions and differencemakers in the game's history. The game sure as hell was FAR healthier when caddie golf was better supported than it is now. They also are the most efficient and resource-conserving method to enjoy the game beyond just walking yourself...they ALREADY EXIST and don't need to be manufactured or produced, as does everything else. I could go on and on champ; you are a caddie hater. Wonderful.

Show you are a little bigger than the pathetic cheap shot you are attempting to make which falls flat. Rich's humerous line, taken in good cheer, as I'm a HUGE advocate of what he is doing and have been quite vocal and verbal in ecouraging folks to attend...is sadly taken by you and twisted to what?...get a dig in?

Grow up dude, you are better than that. I think. If you'd attend one(I know you haven't) and perhaps LEARN from a group of people that don't think they know it all and share insights to advance each other...you'll be on your way!

Cheers,
Kris  8)

Kris,

I am not a caddy hater.

I am a cost of the caddy hater, especially when I tend to get more enjoyment doing for myself the tasks for which I pay a caddy.

I also do not buy the argument of molding our nation's youth through caddying when there are now ample opportunities for volunteering and other experiences outside of making connections with the local country club.

The subject does not need to be stressed any further but I see a large rift between healthy caddy programs and affordability.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back