News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

Re: logo whore
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2012, 11:57:46 PM »
Tim,

That was around 2pm and before one crazy night out in Campbeltown!

All you Chuck Schicks out there - do you break your fashion rules when a friend sends you a gift, a shirt for instance, from a club you haven't played?

David_Elvins

« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2012, 12:08:50 AM »
I am in your camp on this one - if you have a bag, I assume you are a member. 

I was in the market for a new golf bag and visited a club as a guest when I saw the perfect bag in the shop - one not available at home, but with a logo.  I remarked to my member friend that it was a pity it had a logo, as I needed a new bag, it was the perfect bag for me, they didn't sell these bags back home and it would be easy to just swap my clubs over right there and then.  He convinced me there was nothing wrong with buying a logo bag from a club you were not a member of and I bought it. 

Back home, a few rounds later and my playing partner who I have never met before comments on the "nice logo" on my golf bag and asks where I got it.  I am half way through an awkward spiel justifying my purchase when I realise he is talking about the Sun Mountain Logo.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2012, 12:11:24 AM »
I am in your camp on this one - if you have a bag, I assume you are a member. 

I was in the market for a new golf bag and visited a club as a guest when I saw the perfect bag in the shop - one not available at home, but with a logo.  I remarked to my member friend that it was a pity it had a logo, as I needed a new bag, it was the perfect bag for me, they didn't sell these bags back home and it would be easy to just swap my clubs over right there and then.  He convinced me there was nothing wrong with buying a logo bag from a club you were not a member of and I bought it. 

Back home, a few rounds later and my playing partner who I have never met before comments on the "nice logo" on my golf bag and asks where I got it.  I am half way through an awkward spiel justifying my purchase when I realise he is talking about the Sun Mountain Logo.

They didn't have any bags in the shop at Sand Hills or else I would have gotten one.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2012, 01:29:15 AM »
It has been a while for me, but as a guest I will definitely buy a shirt and cap, but I agree with many that a bag is not something I'd ever consider buying.  A bag (like a bag tag) says "member" , at least in my mind. 

YMMV, so go for it if you see a bag you like!
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Sean_A

« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2012, 02:10:06 AM »
There is some weird snobbery going on.  I am not sure why anybody cares what others buy or wear.  I suspect (at least this is so in my case) that buying logoed kit is a matter of convenience.  I prefer not to shop, but if I am standing in a shop selling kit I need, I take a look.  If and why I buy is nobody's business but mine.  Live and let live.  

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 06:57:35 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Jud_T

« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2012, 06:51:21 AM »
How many pros at U.S. clubs still "own the operation"?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jud_T

« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2012, 07:10:59 AM »
Brian,

I agree with you.  I've never felt under any obligation to buy gear.  I've done it because it was attractive and I wanted the souvenir.  Even if you're playing unaccompanied a friendly chat and a sincere thanks is all that's required.  They're generally getting you on the unaccompanied markup already.  If you're a guest reciprocating is much more appreciated than buying an ugly cap out of a sense of obligation IMO.  Of course I'm not a rater who sleazed my way on for free and needs to assuage my conscience... 8)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Greg Taylor

« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2012, 07:30:16 AM »
If you want it and can afford it... go right ahead... who cares?!

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2012, 09:02:23 AM »
There is a golf shirt from Harding Park sitting in my closet that I received for my birthday probably seven years ago that I have never worn because I've never played the course. Personally, I could never own a bag or a headcover from a club I was not a member of. Hats and shirts, though--if I've played it, I'll wear it. Stuff like that is a great conversation starter, no matter where you are.

Hello, my name is Tim, and I have golf OCD.

P.S. I love playing the "Spot Gary Williams' Logo" game in the morning. I have to think the only folks who recognize when he's wearing a Seminole (or other prestigious club) logo are folks who respect the club such that it can only be good PR for them, right? It's not like he's promoting Seminole right after talking about Barbasol, right?
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Kevin Robinson

« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2012, 09:15:15 AM »
I worked at several top clubs that shared members with Pine Valley, Merion, Maidstone, NGLA...etc. So we always had an idea who belonged where, and where any guests they might bring out belonged to as well. Typically everyone would buy something small like a logo shirt or hat. I know anytime I got an opportunity to play somewhere noteworthy, I would always buy a couple hats for myself and friends as keepsakes. I still have several hats sitting around that I've never worn...mostly because a certain percentage of the guys that showed up as guests at my club wore every logo they could possibly clothe themselves with. It was not unusual to see guys roll up in a Cypress Point hat, Augusta National shirt, a pair of shots with the Pine Valley logo, and socks with yet another prominent logo.  We called them "The Pretenders"...guys who had some modest connections, and managed to get invited to several of these places over the years, but would never ascend to the ranks of membership. It seemed to me that displaying these trophies all over their bodies somehow validated them in their own mind as someone special enough to have had the opportunity to purchase the gear. It occurred to me how ridiculous those guys look. In addition, what business do I have wearing a logo from club XYZ...other than to let others know I've been there?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 09:42:10 AM by Kevin Robinson »

C. Squier

« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2012, 10:24:39 AM »
How many pros at U.S. clubs still "own the operation"?

I imagine quite a few....you can usually tell by looking at your CC statement whether the club or some other entity owns the shop. 

Mike Hendren

« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2012, 10:33:54 AM »
Has anyone ever played Cypress Point, Shinny, The National, etc and not bought something in the proshop? Not in my group of visitors.

Yours truly.  I made no purchase at The National Golf Links of America.  It carries no panache in Nashvegas.  If John Deere is good enough for Huntley, it's good enough for me.

When I lived in Dallas I bought my dad a shirt from Preston Trails.  He thought it was pretentious and never wore it.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mike Hendren

« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2012, 10:36:48 AM »
By the way, if anyone's going to be out in East Lothian, please let me know.  My gray wool crew-neck sweater with the North Berwick crest on it has suffered a serious moth attack and badly needs replacement - it is easily my favorite golf logo item of all time (barely beating our my 2002 Madoff Securities golf outing cap and my black LuLu shirt).

Bogey

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2012, 12:10:13 AM »
I understand that the Head of CPC does not own the shop, no matter, when Gene Greco arrives all the assistants are waiting with baited breath for him to finish the round. I think he holds the all time record for the balancing the books of the shop.

Bob   

Scott Warren

« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2012, 01:03:39 AM »
Kevin,

We called them "The Pretenders"...guys who had some modest connections, and managed to get invited to several of these places over the years, but would never ascend to the ranks of membership. It seemed to me that displaying these trophies all over their bodies somehow validated them in their own mind as someone special enough to have had the opportunity to purchase the gear.

That strikes me as terribly (and unecessarily) judgemental.

What impact does it have on your life if someone gains enjoyment from being reminded of a wonderful experience they once enjoyed?

Brett Morris

« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2012, 02:56:44 AM »
I dropped over $500 in the shop at Cypress.  Very easily.  Would do it all again if I had the chance.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2012, 07:55:25 AM »
A sociologist would have a field day here.  Or maybe the young Tom Wolf or even Peter York the author who coined the name “Sloane Ranger”.   Clearly the nuances  from the perspective of the beholder vary considerably.

For those who see a difference between logo’s on bags and items of clothing, which set of rules apply to logo’d headcovers?

Anyone have views on logo’d ballmarkers?

I think that just about covers everything.

For my part I have yet to see any club logo that isn’t so fug ugly that I’d ever wear it anywhere other than to play golf.  In GB&I my presumption isn’t necessarily that the wearer of such clothing is a member. After all probably the most popular apparel, in terms of units sold, carry’s the words “ST Andrews” on them and that denotes nothing at all.   However spending a week in Kerry and Clare this year, there were travelling groups of Americans who’s chest showed you where they’d played yesterday.   Trophies of the trip I guess.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Brent Hutto

« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2012, 08:20:20 AM »
The logo for Huntercombe with the Red Kite in flight is quite nice. I wish I had more than one shirt with that one.

I like to buy a shirt, hat or bag-towel from each club I visit because when I get back home it reminds me of playing there. Plus I'll splurge on much nicer quality shirts when traveling than I would normally.

My favorites are the aforementioned Huntercombe logo shirt, a very nice heavy cotton short-sleeve shirt from Pitlochry, a pink shirt from Crowborough Beacon, a hat from Mike Young's Longshadow, a wool jumper from Formby and one extremely nice pale lavender shirt from a course I'd rather not name because it would make me seem like a logo-whore.

Nobody that I play golf with around home has ever heard of the courses I travel to play. The one exception, believe it or not, is the shirt from Pitlochry. One of the guys I play regularly with not only has played at the course before, he recognized the logo and asked "Is that from Pitlochry in Scotland?". Go figure.

Kevin Robinson

« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2012, 08:33:18 AM »
Kevin,

We called them "The Pretenders"...guys who had some modest connections, and managed to get invited to several of these places over the years, but would never ascend to the ranks of membership. It seemed to me that displaying these trophies all over their bodies somehow validated them in their own mind as someone special enough to have had the opportunity to purchase the gear.

That strikes me as terribly (and unecessarily) judgemental.

What impact does it have on your life if someone gains enjoyment from being reminded of a wonderful experience they once enjoyed?

None at all...only giving my own perspective as someone who regularly saw both sides of the coin, so to speak. Wearing a hat or shirt with a logo is, I think, pretty commonplace. I assumed the implied distinction between occasionally wearing a shirt or hat because you really like the logo or course - and wearing every "prestige" logo you own when invited somewhere noteworthy - was enough. If you cover yourself in more logo's than a tour player, you're not reminding yourself of your "wonderful experience"...you're reminding everyone else of it.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:47:37 AM by Kevin Robinson »

Kevin Robinson

« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2012, 08:41:45 AM »
h

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2012, 08:54:22 AM »
Dave,
Your bag is a good one! If you are going to get a logo on a bag, for your play in Australia, that is the one, there wouldn't be many of your p,aging partners in Aus that would think your are also a member - it just isn't relevant!
 ;D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 09:29:04 AM by Brett Morrissy »
@theflatsticker

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2012, 09:22:02 AM »
I've discussed this topic many times in the past and think I have made my position clear.  Funny thing this morning is that I have a difficult day ahead at work where I can't look like a clown who loves golf more than production.  All I own is golf shirts so had to pick a proper shirt for the occasion.  A dark color with the logo on the sleeve seemed best.  Went with a dark blue with white horizontal pin stripe from Shoal Creek by a company claiming to be Donald Ross.  I purposely chose a club where I am not a member because it seemed less pretentious.

I almost wore my lucky shirt in which I have never lost a match and even wore on the day of my Dad's successful heart surgery.  Problem is it has a huge Victoria National logo on the chest and "Braggers Cup" on the sleeve.  Golf attire in the office is an interesting subject that was once covered by Larry David is his usual perfect way.  I do agree that he looks better to my eye in his golf shirt than that LA business casual crap fest he wears day to day.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 09:25:40 AM by John Kavanaugh »

john_stiles

« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2012, 11:50:02 AM »
My logo observations....

Logo on shoes is the worst that I have seen, and I knew he didn't belong there.

My leaning is now towards  golf ribbon belt, and logo on sleeve for shirt.  Logo on sleeve works better around non golf people in my opinion.

Hats without any logo are hard to find and not often of decent quality.

Five years ago, played behind a PV member in a tourney. I would guess he was a new member as the logo was everywhere. Items looked fresh.  Looked for something not logoed and my memory is that I was not successful.   After a chuckle to myself, when I thought I might do the same if ever that lucky,  I really didn't notice the logo anymore.

Most logos in the  UK  are just too busy, too much stuff with birds, swords, and lions,  often on the same shield.  Any trip to UK results in hugh logos savings to be spend at the bar.  So, all my beer is really free in the UK.

rjsimper

« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2012, 12:08:54 PM »
1) I agree with those that have said logo bags are for members

2) I don't "try and buy" something...there's not really an obligation factor. I'm certainly cognizant of the fact that it supports the club/pro and that's definitely nice. But ultimately I buy things because I like buying things and it's a nice souvenir, whether it's a logo ball or $400 worth of clothing and accessories. It's fortunate for all that it's a win-win all around. If all I wanted was a windbreaker or sweater, I am sure I could find one for half the price at a local store. I have found myself spending more lately because I am shying away from regular golf shirts and turning more on to outerwear, as it lasts longer.

3) I agree with what was said about hats....there is actually a lot of utility involved in a hat purchase. There are no good hats anywhere sans-logo. And until I am sponsored by Titleist or Nike or Adidas or TaylorMade, I refuse to wear equipment brands. So my next best choice is club logos.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2012, 12:10:15 PM »
Thanks for this thread.  Tony Muldoon was kind enough to offer to pick me up a sweater when he's at North Berwick in a couple of weeks, but I got so excited I just placed an order on-line.  Nothing like a nice crewneck sweater with a ribbed collar tucked underneath and a pair of khaki's to take me back to my frat days.  Can't wait to crank up some Carolina Beach Music on the ride home today.

It's good to be:

Bogey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back