News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Newton

Re: logo whore
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 02:16:47 PM »
I have a logo ball from every course I've played. It's interesting to see all of the different logos displayed together.

Eric Smith

Re: logo whore(s)
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, 02:37:14 PM »
 ;D ;D

Two of GCA's finest...

C. Squier

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2012, 02:41:52 PM »
I played with someone recently who had matching Cypress point bags for he, his wife and son complete with head covers. Now maybe he was a Cypress member and didn't tell me, but his host must have been very happy with him!

Sorry, but IMO it's a major faux pas to use a logo bag of a club you do not belong to. 

Eric Smith

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2012, 03:01:36 PM »
Who cares what bag someone carries?

C. Squier

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 04:25:41 PM »

I guess the guy who doesn't want to answer "are you a member there?" with "no".

Eric Smith

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2012, 04:44:02 PM »

I guess the guy who doesn't want to answer "are you a member there?" with "no".

But Clint, isn't the same question asked when wearing the shirt or the hat? As long as the club is selling the products to their guests, I honestly don't see why the bag would be any different from any other logo'd item. Nevertheless, I respect your opinion that you think it is a faux pas, so I'll gladly leave it at that.

Richard Choi

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2012, 04:47:38 PM »
Speaking of logo whoring...

Steve Ballmer at the recent company meeting:

It might be a bit hard to see, but that is a Sand Hills shirt.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 04:54:11 PM by Richard Choi »

John_Cullum

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2012, 04:56:12 PM »
I played with someone recently who had matching Cypress point bags for he, his wife and son complete with head covers. Now maybe he was a Cypress member and didn't tell me, but his host must have been very happy with him!

Sorry, but IMO it's a major faux pas to use a logo bag of a club you do not belong to. 

I bought a beautiful Forsgate golf bag on ebay for $9.99. I mainly bought it just to piss you people off
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Jim Franklin

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2012, 05:16:31 PM »

Supporting the pro.
Mr Hurricane

Michael Essig

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
I buy a golf ball from every course, and they are in my office, but other than that I usually don't buy anything.  HOWEVER, I was at Bandon years ago at breakfast and a group of 8 guys walked in wearing Bandon everything from head to toe - shirts, vests, sweaters, hats.  Each one must have had a few hundred dollars of Bandon merchandise on.  I had a big smile and thought good for them for supporting the resort.  At that moment the waiter said to one of the gentlemen, "Good morning Mr. Keiser."

C. Squier

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2012, 05:59:20 PM »
But Clint, isn't the same question asked when wearing the shirt or the hat? As long as the club is selling the products to their guests, I honestly don't see why the bag would be any different from any other logo'd item. Nevertheless, I respect your opinion that you think it is a faux pas, so I'll gladly leave it at that.

I guess I view logo bags to be in the member's domain.  I also remove guest bag tags once home from a course I just visited and won't wear a logo if I haven't played the course.  My immediate thought to seeing someone wearing a logo hat/shirt is that they've visited, but a logo bag means they're a member.  Just my own knee jerk reaction to it.  I don't categorize those who "break" my own rules as bad people, it's just something I wouldn't do myself.  If the pro shop is willing to sell it, buy away.

C. Squier

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2012, 06:00:45 PM »
I bought a beautiful Forsgate golf bag on ebay for $9.99. I mainly bought it just to piss you people off

What were the secondary reasons?  But then again, 10 bucks isn't much to spite people on the internet you've never met, so good for you!

Sean Leary

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2012, 06:15:33 PM »

I guess I view logo bags to be in the member's domain.  I also remove guest bag tags once home from a course I just visited and won't wear a logo if I haven't played the course.  My immediate thought to seeing someone wearing a logo hat/shirt is that they've visited, but a logo bag means they're a member.  Just my own knee jerk reaction to it.  I don't categorize those who "break" my own rules as bad people, it's just something I wouldn't do myself.  If the pro shop is willing to sell it, buy away.

Agree 100% with this whole post. One question though, are there any courses that you haven't played yet? ;)

Bill Seitz

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2012, 06:23:10 PM »

I feel the same way.  Of course, my Kingsley bag was just delivered to my apartment yesterday, so I may be biased.   ;)

John_Cullum

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2012, 06:34:21 PM »

What were the secondary reasons?  But then again, 10 bucks isn't much to spite people on the internet you've never met, so good for you!

It's a pretty damn good bag for $10, and I've met plenty of this crowd
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 09:59:53 AM by John_Cullum »
"We finally beat Medicare. "

David_Elvins

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2012, 06:41:57 PM »
I can remember a guy that I visited Merion with who was looking at buying a lamp that was in the shape of a Merion wicker basket- when we discussed getting it back to Chicago it stayed at Merion.

I love Merion but I love its logo more. 

I just can't stop buying stuff from that golf shop.  I think I would have bought the wine rack and bar stool if I could have got them back to Australia. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

C. Squier

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2012, 07:27:17 PM »

Agree 100% with this whole post. One question though, are there any courses that you haven't played yet? ;)

Well, there's that one down south....  8)

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2012, 08:22:39 PM »

I am in your camp on this one - if you have a bag, I assume you are a member. 

If you have a shirt, hat, sweater, etc. I assume you are either a member or have played the course - unless it is a Masters logo and then I assume you went to the tournament.  I suppose this is one of the reasons they invented "members logos" in the first place.

I also don't wear logos of courses I haven't played - to me it is a little like the Stanley Cup...you don't touch it until you win it...

Jonathan Decker

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2012, 08:54:38 PM »

If you have a shirt, hat, sweater, etc. I assume you are either a member or have played the course - unless it is a Masters logo and then I assume you went to the tournament.  I suppose this is one of the reasons they invented "members logos" in the first place.

I also don't wear logos of courses I haven't played - to me it is a little like the Stanley Cup...you don't touch it until you win it...

I agree completely with the posts above, as I too have always felt that the golf bag was reserved for members. 

On a similar note, I am surprised some elite clubs allow those on television to wear their logo (Gary Williams on the Morning Drive wearing Seminole attire).  Perhaps I am more surprised that the Golf Channel would allow it.

Tim Martin

Re: logo whore(s)
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2012, 09:07:20 PM »
;D ;D

Two of GCA's finest...

E-I`m not looking for any sort of tell all from the trip but how is it that these guys clean up so good after a night out. This had to be a 2 pm tee time no?

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2012, 09:30:27 PM »

I agree completely with the posts above, as I too have always felt that the golf bag was reserved for members. 

On a similar note, I am surprised some elite clubs allow those on television to wear their logo (Gary Williams on the Morning Drive wearing Seminole attire).  Perhaps I am more surprised that the Golf Channel would allow it.

He was on the staff there.

Jonathan Decker

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2012, 09:37:48 PM »

He was on the staff there.

Do his views represent those of the club and its membership?  Maybe the club doesn't mind the free publicity:-)

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2012, 10:02:12 PM »
I prefer to think of it as supporting the local golf professional.  But, you can call it whatever you want for your own situation.

+1.  I was taught to ALWAYS make a purchase when visiting a private club as a guest, it's a way of showing thanks and respect to the host pro.

Dan

jim_lewis

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2012, 10:18:11 PM »
I used to buy a bag towel when I played "prestige" clubs. I displayed them to impress my friends. I probably even claimed that I was just supporting the pro. I now have a couple hundred in a box in the basement that has not been opened for 20 years. My logo obsession has cleared up.

I don't remember ever wearing a logo of a club/course I have not played.

The only logos I own now are from clubs I am member of. Nearly all of my golf shirts have no logo of any kind. I refurse to advertise for the retailer, unless they want to pay me.

I have outgrown the need to impress, and I can find other ways to thank pros and hosts.

When did this obsession with wearing logos get started anyway?

Now you know why I am called "Crusty Jim".
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Jonathan Decker

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2012, 11:05:05 PM »
I prefer to think of it as supporting the local golf professional.  But, you can call it whatever you want for your own situation.

+1.  I was taught to ALWAYS make a purchase when visiting a private club as a guest, it's a way of showing thanks and respect to the host pro.

Dan

+1.  A good rule of thumb is to buy something from the shop when visiting a club, with a hat being the minimum, especially if on a professional courtesy or as an unaccompanied guest.  It will go a long way in the eye's of the host professional, especially if he owns the operation. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back