News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Balzer

logo whore
« on: September 24, 2012, 10:31:15 PM »
I did it. Played Cypess on Tuesday and went all in. Bought pullover, hat and shirt. proud of it....

Tom_Doak

Re: logo whore
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 10:36:34 PM »
I prefer to think of it as supporting the local golf professional.  But, you can call it whatever you want for your own situation.

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 10:40:30 PM »
When I get that call someday, I'll do the same things....no shame.
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Terry Lavin

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 10:44:22 PM »
Did the same at Chicago Golf Club today. Always patronize the shop as a guest!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 05:18:50 AM »
Totally agree - support the course pro, or the club, special place that hosted you as a guest.

The little gold ball marker from CPC is v. special.
@theflatsticker

Jim Franklin

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 08:28:50 AM »
I prefer to think of it as supporting the local golf professional.  But, you can call it whatever you want for your own situation.

Exactly.
Mr Hurricane

J_ Crisham

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 09:59:12 AM »
Did the same at Chicago Golf Club today. Always patronize the shop as a guest!
So did you get through the first 3 holes in even par? You had a pretty nice  September day- with a touch of wind.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 10:02:34 AM »
"I logo therefore I am "  GolfCartes

Anyone have a personal record of multiple logos worn in one outfit?
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Jud_T

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 10:08:58 AM »
"I logo therefore I am "  GolfCartes

Anyone have a personal record of multiple logos worn in one outfit?

Saturday I sported a Kingsley Bag, a Kingsley towel, a Kingsley shirt, a Kingsley pullover, an Exmoor Western Amateur hat and a Michigan ballmark.  Would have been in the running for a record till the caddie lost my towel... 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Sean Leary

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 10:16:02 AM »
My friend Tiger Bernhardt once sported logoes on his hat, shirt, shorts, socks, belt, bag and towel, assuring his place in the Guinness Book of World Records.

Look forward to playing with him again to see if he can break his own record.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 10:42:24 AM »
"I logo therefore I am "  GolfCartes

Yes. On the other hand, one might be inclined to deny Cartesian dualism and argue instead that there is no distinction between the extended and the unextended, which would mean (absurdly, I admit) that Pete is not simply logo-ing Cypress Point but, while so attired, is acutally being Cypress Point -- in other words, that he now actually embodies Cypress Point. And with that said, I'd hereby like to introduce a brand new ranking system and best of list for the magazines to glom onto and promote, i.e. a top 100 list of the courses you'd most like to embody.  I, for example, might rather BE Ballyneal, Walton Heath, Canterbury, and Plainfield than I would Pine Valley and Augusta. I believe there are merits to this (subjective) new ranking system, not least of which is that the concept of "shot values" has even less meaning than it normally does; after all, what point would there be in shooting yourself?

Peter
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 10:44:27 AM by PPallotta »

Carl Nichols

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 10:52:00 AM »
My friend Tiger Bernhardt once sported logoes on his hat, shirt, shorts, socks, belt, bag and towel, assuring his place in the Guinness Book of World Records.

Look forward to playing with him again to see if he can break his own record.

Same logo? 

Lester George

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 10:54:03 AM »
Support the Professional.  No harm in that.

Lester

Sean Leary

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 10:54:37 AM »
Carl,

No, multiple, including his favored college team.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 11:00:25 AM »
Fully agree - So, you pay more for a shirt (or other item) with a wonderful course that you just played. Nice to support that club and I'm sure the member appreciated it, too.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:04:21 AM by Dan Boerger »
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

ward peyronnin

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 11:00:50 AM »
Pete
Now this is the kind of thread hijacking I can endorse!!!! Brilliant

I have a notion I would prefer to BE Paintswick.... "a riddle wrapped in an enigma surrounded by mystery"
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 11:03:47 AM »
"I logo therefore I am "  GolfCartes

Yes. On the other hand, one might be inclined to deny Cartesian dualism and argue instead that there is no distinction between the extended and the unextended, which would mean (absurdly, I admit) that Pete is not simply logo-ing Cypress Point but, while so attired, is acutally being Cypress Point -- in other words, that he now actually embodies Cypress Point. And with that said, I'd hereby like to introduce a brand new ranking system and best of list for the magazines to glom onto and promote, i.e. a top 100 list of the courses you'd most like to embody.  I, for example, might rather BE Ballyneal, Walton Heath, Canterbury, and Plainfield than I would Pine Valley and Augusta. I believe there are merits to this (subjective) new ranking system, not least of which is that the concept of "shot values" has even less meaning than it normally does; after all, what point would there be in shooting yourself?

Peter

If I should ever be put on life support I would not want to wake up married to my Brother-in-Law.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 11:16:11 AM »
John - GolfCartes can do nothing with that. (Ward, please correct me if I'm wrong.) It appears to fall outside the realm and constructs of normative rationale discourse.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:21:24 AM by PPallotta »

J_ Crisham

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 12:03:40 PM »
Has anyone ever played Cypress Point, Shinny, The National, etc and not bought something in the proshop? Not in my group of visitors.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 12:10:45 PM »
Has anyone ever played Cypress Point, Shinny, The National, etc and not bought something in the proshop? Not in my group of visitors.

Has anyone ever played CP, Shinny, The National, etc and only purchased a pullover, shirt, and hat like Pete did?

Come on, Pete!  That's all you purchased?   ;)

Cory Lewis

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 12:15:57 PM »
I saw all of that from another GCA'er during a Dixie cup a few years ago.  All of the logos were the same.  This gentlemen really loves his college.  When we asked him if he was wearing the boxers as well he didn't answer... ;)
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

J_ Crisham

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 12:30:18 PM »

Has anyone ever played CP, Shinny, The National, etc and only purchased a pullover, shirt, and hat like Pete did?

I can remember a guy that I visited Merion with who was looking at buying a lamp that was in the shape of a Merion wicker basket- when we discussed getting it back to Chicago it stayed at Merion.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 12:31:08 PM »
My favorite golf shirt was from Cypress Point which finally gave out last year.   :'(

Still have the Cypress Point golf hat which I have never worn.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 12:34:04 PM »

I can remember a guy that I visited Merion with who was looking at buying a lamp that was in the shape of a Merion wicker basket- when we discussed getting it back to Chicago it stayed at Merion.

Jack,

I played Merion on a saturday and after the round I was looking for a shirt in size L and wasn't coming across too many items.  One of the assistant pros then told me that a guest had purchased close to 2 dozen large shirts two days before me!

Tim Leahy

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 01:57:03 PM »
Pete, whenever someone sees that logo everyone wants to know, how did you do on #16?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back