News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Golf near Vilamoura
« on: September 25, 2012, 05:40:55 AM »
A friend who is a good golfer and has a goodeye for a course is off to Vilamoura for a week with family.  He's going to get a couple of games in.  One he's planning to play at the Old Course at Vilamoura.  For the second he doesn't want to trek as far as Monte Rei.  I don't know the area at all.  Has anyone got any suggestions?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Adam Lawrence

Re: Golf near Vilamoura
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 06:03:04 AM »
Palmares has been completely rebuilt by the RTJ2 team and imo is probably the best course on the Algarve now, but it is about as far from Vilamoura as Monte Rei, albeit in the other direction. The most fun in the area is the nine holer at Pine Cliffs, right by the ocean and some super holes.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 06:03:37 AM »
Best Golf near to Vilamoura I would say:
1. Quinta Da Lago
2. San Lorenzo
3. Victoria
4. Milleniuem
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 06:05:22 AM by Adrian_Stiff »
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 06:50:00 AM »
Palmares has been completely rebuilt by the RTJ2 team and imo is probably the best course on the Algarve now, but it is about as far from Vilamoura as Monte Rei, albeit in the other direction. The most fun in the area is the nine holer at Pine Cliffs, right by the ocean and some super holes.

Ditto to Adam's suggestion.  Pine Cliffs is a funky and often architecturally intersting semi-golf course.  If you can also spend some time at the Sheaton (on which Pine Cliffs sits), do so too.  Particularly, you can sip beverages at the outdoor bar which ouverlooks the "signature" "Devil's Parlour", which used to be the 9th, but is now the 6th or 7th.  When the sun sets, you can hear (and even see) wild animals baying across the abyss as late golfers try to hit their tee shots.  It is a magical place.....
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 07:42:54 AM »
+1 on Pine Cliffs... Par-32 or 33 and very short but some great holes on good soil...

Other than that (and if he is skipping Monte Rei and Palmares) , the most architecturally interesting courses in the area are the Faldo course at Amendoeira and the third course from the Quinto Da Lago crowd (although removed from the other two) called Laranjal, designed by Santana da Silva...

San Lorenzo is a course that could have been better on a wonderful site... so is worth seeing...

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 01:53:18 PM »
Ally

While I agree with your comments on San Lorenzo, I absolutely loved this course in my one and only play. Not that I think its necessarily a great course but there was something about it that I really really liked. I've spoken to a few others that have played it and who have made similar comments. I suspect its something to do with the modest scale of the place. It doesn't try and convince you of it having any championship credentials.

As a general comment, I've played most if not all of the courses round Vilamoura they are a pretty decent bunch without being inspiring. Victoria is worth a play if you want a championship challenge with some interesting golf but for me it would depend on the price.

Niall

Joey Chase

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 03:20:49 PM »
No love for the Faldo course in the Vilamoura collection?  They have some of the most unmaintainable bunkers I have ever seen.  Fun to see!  I second the choice of Quinta do Lago as well.  Be warned that if your friend plays fast he can expect an hour wait on the tenth tee as they allow tee times on both nines of their courses.  He can skip the Victoria course, way too expensive for what it offers, unless he is erratic with the driver.  I hadn't played the new Palmares course, but it does sound pretty interesting and San Lorenzo has the worst service of any golf course I've ever been to.  For all of the courses in the Algarve I've played, Monte Rei was the most enjoyable albeit not too memorable.  As a whole, I was surprised by both the lack of quality, service, and price at most of the courses in the Algarve.  For m money, the best of Portugal lies near Lisboa.

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 05:43:53 PM »
Vila Sol is a good option.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Jordan Caron

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 01:02:38 AM »
Courses to play in that area

1) Villamoura Old
2) Sao Larenzo
3) Quinto Do Lago North
4) Quinto Do Lago South
5) Vila Sol

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back