News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jkinney

ASKERNISH photos -- gently coming home, the 17th & 18th.
« on: September 19, 2012, 07:02:29 PM »
The climb up the dune from greenside on "Old Tom's Pulpit" is a welcome one. The hard work's done, and the wee clubhouse beckons. The 17th is a pleasant, downhill, mid iron par three that has a new green full of subtle undulations, requiring concentration for a two putt.

One final climb up the innermost dune line brings the weary golfer to the dogleg left par five finishing hole. A simple three shotter, but a dangerous two shotter it is. The entire left side is deep native grass where a lost ball is a regular occurence. Cut off too much of the dogleg and one will get caught in it.

Then the walk in to the clubhouse gets made with new spring in one's step, knowing that a cold pint or two awaits -- with maybe even a wee dram of Highland Park, the single malt from the Orkneys favored by many on South Uist.

There you have it. As I said in my introduction in my first thread  (where the photos were lost), IMO crossing the Minch to play Askernish is a must for any serious student of golf course architecture. It is, as Garrity said in SI Online, a TEN. I'm proud to have contributed capital to its renaissance - ( a name Mr. Doak chose wisely for his firm) - just as both Doak and Keiser did. I am honored to to have had conferred upon me a heriditary life membership for so doing. And Holly & I are already booked in for next summers Askernish Open weekend.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back