News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Mark McKeever

Re: Play the newly restored Knoll / West (rescheduled for Sat, Sept 15)
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2012, 09:40:05 PM »
Shot Matt an email.  Haven't heard back yet.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Mark McKeever

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2012, 08:44:55 AM »
I'm in!

Mark

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2012, 04:36:04 PM »
Unfortunately, I have received news that this event has been cancelled due to lack of sufficent response. The opportunity to hear George Bahto speak seems to be lost among the minions here at GCA  as is the opportunity to play a restored  classic gem that is one of the top public courses in NJ. Nevertheless, our host will obtain tee times for those of us who are interested.

Please advise.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

John Shimony

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2012, 08:56:19 AM »
I'm still in.
John Shimony
Philadelphia, PA

Mark McKeever

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2012, 11:06:04 AM »
I'm still in.  Hopefully I can tee it up with Shi$ without any rule discrepancies.   ;D

Mark

Joe Bausch

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2012, 11:35:22 AM »
I'm still in.  Hopefully I can tee it up with Shi$ without any rule discrepancies.   ;D

Mark

I'm unfortunately already obligated for golf that day, but as long as Tim doesn't show you'll be good.   ;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mark McKeever

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
LOL

Mark

John Shimony

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2012, 04:30:23 PM »
From the R&A website in defense of Tim's good name:

"An immovable obstruction is an artificial object on the course that cannot be moved (e.g. a building) or cannot readily be moved (e.g. a firmly embedded direction post). "

http://www.randa.org/en/Playing-Golf/Quick-Guide-to-the-Rules/Relief-Situations-and-Procedures/Immovable-Obstructions-and-Abnormal-Ground-Conditions.aspx
John Shimony
Philadelphia, PA

Joe Bausch

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2012, 04:48:41 PM »
LOL

Mark

One of the finest bogeys I've seen in some time.   ;D
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mark McKeever

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2012, 04:52:48 PM »
Please post the picture of Tim making the "X"

Mark

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2012, 06:46:38 PM »
Interested people:

Tee times for 8 are being arranged by our host for Saturday.

Check your email for details.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2012, 10:40:07 PM »
We have 2 tee times- 12:38 & 12:48

Please advise and confirm asap.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2012, 10:41:52 AM »
Where's Doug?  ;D

Mark

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2012, 08:11:55 AM »
For all those who chose not to attend, you missed a real gem. Thanks to George Bahto for appearing and sharing his experience in restoring this Charles Banks classic. From the opening Road Hole to the Double Plateau to the Biarritz to the Island Green, etc Knoll West is a fun course to play. The size of the greens and bunkers,the complexity of the greens,  the tree removal (except on one hole) all contributed to the experience. Unfortunately, I found myself in the  Hell Bunker to the left of the 9th green. Having played Forsgate, I was not unfamiliar with this experience.

I was not in the McKeever, Shimony and Redanman group. I'd like to hear their comments.

John Shimony

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2012, 10:18:14 AM »
Steve, we had a blast.  The character of the greens is great in my opinion because of their internal features.  There are small mounds and thumb prints that stand out and really affect play.  The first green for example has two stand alone mounds moving perpendicular to the line of play that cross practically the entire green and really have to be understood if a player wants to get anywhere near the back pin.  Thanks, George, for spending time with us and giving us an in depth feel for the work you did at the course and congratulations on a job well done. Thanks, Matt, for setting this up and sharing your insights as well.  And thanks, Mark and Bill, for a very pleasant and educational round of golf on perhaps the most beautiful day of the summer so far.  Mark should be preparing a book length analysis of the many and varied elbows that extend out from the greens based on the time and energy he expended mulling each and everyone during our round.  I await with abated breath.  
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 10:28:03 AM by John Shimony »
John Shimony
Philadelphia, PA

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2012, 11:30:39 AM »
A review of my notes reveals that the par4 14th hole,430y from the tips is the leading candidate for tree remediation. From the white tee it's 410y and the view looks like a tunnel. Unfortunately, tree remediation seems to be a political issue at Knoll- it's owned by the town.
Speaking of tees, here are the details:

Blue: 6850y  73.0/131
White: 6479y 71.4//126
Gold:   5648y 67.3/118

Red: 71.2/125 (women)

I mentioned to Matt after the round that there really needs to be a mixed set of tees for mid handicappers in the 6000-6100y range. The Gold tees are just too short to consider and the White tees present too difficult a challenge. I think the slope ratings are a little low.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2012, 11:54:07 AM »
Steve,

You forgot to mention that it's a par 70.

And a difficult par 70 at that.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2012, 01:44:12 PM »
A review of my notes reveals that the par4 14th hole,430y from the tips is the leading candidate for tree remediation. From the white tee it's 410y and the view looks like a tunnel. Unfortunately, tree remediation seems to be a political issue at Knoll- it's owned by the town.
Speaking of tees, here are the details:

Blue: 6850y  73.0/131
White: 6479y 71.4//126
Gold:   5648y 67.3/118

Red: 71.2/125 (women)

I mentioned to Matt after the round that there really needs to be a mixed set of tees for mid handicappers in the 6000-6100y range. The Gold tees are just too short to consider and the White tees present too difficult a challenge. I think the slope ratings are a little low.

Hi Steve,

What have you heard relative to the tree remediation on hole #14?  Is the plan to remove trees on both sides of that fairway and open up the area between the par 3 17th and the par 4 12th?
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2012, 03:37:15 PM »
I don't have the long draft as Shi$ suggested, but will mention that there are some areas of putting surfaces that would be fantastic if restored.  George was very passionate about wanting to do some of this work when we talked to him mid round, but obviously it hits the maintenance budget and requires more manpower. 

The course was a blast and I enjoyed it with good company.  We had great weather and I couldnt believe we had such a small number of participants.  If anyone is on the fence at this point, I hope they go check it out. 

Mark

Ben Voelker

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2012, 04:28:37 PM »
I don't have the long draft as Shi$ suggested, but will mention that there are some areas of putting surfaces that would be fantastic if restored.  George was very passionate about wanting to do some of this work when we talked to him mid round, but obviously it hits the maintenance budget and requires more manpower. 

The course was a blast and I enjoyed it with good company.  We had great weather and I couldnt believe we had such a small number of participants.  If anyone is on the fence at this point, I hope they go check it out. 

Mark

Mark,

I wish I could have made it.  It happened to fall at a bad time, but I LOVE the course and I would strongly encourage anyone visiting the area to give Knoll West a look.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2012, 06:31:27 PM »
@Ron

George Bahto is the one person who can tell us about more work to be done at Knoll West. As I indicated, this is a municpal course and politics are involved.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back