News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

J_ Crisham

Sakonnet
« on: September 14, 2012, 03:44:52 PM »
We are heading East in a couple of weeks and Sakonnet was mentioned as a hidden gem worth adding to our trip. Any advice?

John Foley

Re: Sakonnet
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 09:12:01 AM »
Highly recommend. Also check out Shelter Harbour on the other side of Narragansett Bay - VERY good modern Hurdzan-Fry course.
Integrity in the moment of choice

J_ Crisham

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 10:10:10 AM »
John, thanks for the input- how far would this be from new London? Trying to add in a round or two to our trip. The other stops are as far as Chatham, Marion, providence area, and New London. Any obscure hidden gems, preferably classical era design.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 07:28:49 AM »
Any obscure hidden gems, preferably classical era design.

Jack,

Sakonnet has been high on my list for years as I have biked past the property but never played. Have been to a wedding at Acoaxet but never played this 9 holer in Westport, MA which is close to Sakonnet:

http://www.acoaxet.com/Club/Scripts/Home/home.asp

In New London try - http://www.shennygolf.com/ Lots of old threads on it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 08:21:59 AM by Mike Sweeney »

John Foley

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 07:38:07 AM »
Mike made the recommendation I was going to give Acoaxet - have not played but driven by.

As for other hidden gems along the shore try to see Misquamicut if you can is Westerly RI - VERY cool old Ross & others.

If you head to Kittansett in Marion - stop by & see Marion Golf Club right on Point Rd. Golf from the early 20th century - very cool.

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 04:23:48 PM »
John, thanks for the input- how far would this be from new London? Trying to add in a round or two to our trip. The other stops are as far as Chatham, Marion, providence area, and New London. Any obscure hidden gems, preferably classical era design.

Jack- I hope when you say Providence area you are going to get a trip around Wannamoisett . If not this should go to the top of your wish list along with Newport CC. I would put Wanumetonomy firmly in the hidden gem camp in Middletown RI just a few miles from Newport. A really cool Raynor course on a smallish piece of property that he routed expertly. If you are in the New London area you will not be disappointed in Shennecossett Golf Course which is 1890's Donald Ross one town away in Groton as already mentioned by Mike Sweeney. Additionally although I have not played it I have heard good things about Point Judith CC which is also a Ross course in Narraganset.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 08:40:06 AM by Tim Martin »

J_ Crisham

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 10:40:41 AM »
Tim,  That is the basic trip- don't think we will have time for a second course in New London due to a full day out at Fishers Island. The traveling will consume a good part of the day unfortunately. As they say ,it is what it is.

David Cronheim

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 10:45:27 AM »
Tim,  That is the basic trip- don't think we will have time for a second course in New London due to a full day out at Fishers Island. The traveling will consume a good part of the day unfortunately. As they say ,it is what it is.

That's the type of travel I never complain about...
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

John Foley

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 08:40:05 PM »
I have always thought that a tour of the southcoast of NE stretching from New Haven to Boston (never more than 5? miles from the shore) is a world class trip. Just think.

UPDATED

Yale
Shennecossett
Misquamicut
Shelter Harbour
Point Judith
Newport
Wanumetonomy
Wannamoisett
Sakkonnet
Acoaxet
The Bay Club
Kittansett
Marion
Oyster Harbors
Hyannisport
Eastward Ho
Old Sandwich
Boston Golf Club

What am I missing? Didn't include the Islands (Fishers / Vineyard / Nantucket) or this would be even more impressive.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 09:08:41 PM by john_foley »

Mark Steffey

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 09:01:11 PM »
What am I missing? Didn't include the Islands (Fishers / Vineyard / Nantucket) or this would be even more impressive.

shelter harbour
hyannisport

Mark McKeever

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 09:49:38 AM »
John,

Last stop you need to add Bass Rocks

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Michael Moore

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 10:03:49 AM »
Woods Hole

Plymouth

Waverly Oaks

South Shore
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Brad Tufts

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 10:12:51 AM »
You could totally extend this up to Canada...

Tedesco
Essex
Turner Hill
Bass Rocks
Ould Newbury
Portsmouth CC
York
Portland CC
Prout's Neck
North Haven
Castine/Wawenock
Kebo Valley
Northeast Harbor
Grindstone Neck
Algonquin (St. Andrew's, NB)

I left out Myopia, because I think it's a bit more than 5mi inland, and also Samoset because I don't like it.

Then again, you could go the other way to Florida the same way I'm sure, and probably around to Texas.  The ocean makes a good backdrop for golf, and attracts $$ to build great clubs!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back