News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Ron Farris

An interesting read --- Promoting the game
« on: September 14, 2012, 10:51:43 AM »
There is a lot of talk about the trouble with golf and what to do to promote the game.

Just recieved this link:

http://www.vaildaily.com/article/2012120919948

My kids had access to free golf, but never really embraced it until recently.  Problem was that their friends didn't have free access.

I found it an interesting read.

Jeff_Brauer

Re: An interesting read --- Promoting the game
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 11:00:50 AM »
Link isn't working for me, Ron.  Would like to read.

Also, saw in NGF that 50,000,000 non golfers played a golf video game.  Seems like that might be a possible entree to the game, or as they said taking them from "console to course".
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Ron Farris

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 12:03:47 PM »
Sorry about the link...........I am not savvy at this aspect.... so unless someone else can link it --- copy paste.

David Kelly

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 01:46:12 PM »
Also, saw in NGF that 50,000,000 non golfers played a golf video game.  Seems like that might be a possible entree to the game, or as they said taking them from "console to course".
The concept of going from "console to course"is a little unsettling since many of the video games that kids play are first person shoot'em ups.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Garland Bayley

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 11:32:20 AM »
I believe 'golf in the schools' is a very good approach.  I think that there is a consensus that growing the game means a focused effort to involve a new and young generation to meaningfully expose youth early and develop a lasting enjoyment as they age and become able to participate as serious consumers of the game and products to play.

The idea of golf in the schools, needs full participation from facilities that can handle a couple of bus loads of kids immediately.  That means courses with substantial practice facilities; a good size teeing line on a range, and good short game and putting greens and practice bunkers, must be available to participating school programs.  That is a big ask for these facilities, and incentives need to be developed.

Not all communities have good practice facilities.  But, those that do have to figure out a way to subsidize a golf course practice facility operation, either a privately owned-public facility, or muni facility, to help with operational costs of the range and practice greens that comes with increased novice usage. 

Inculcating a love of striking nice shots, and putting or chipping balls in the hole is a process that needs to be managed by mentor older golfers.  Perhaps the PGA can create a tier of volunteer golf mentors, who are given clinics oriented towards teaching serious volunteer regular golfers to teach basics to large groups of kids.  Obviously the PGA doesn't have enough certified professionals to handle an influx of large groups of youth, but they can develop a system of one supervising pro to train a team of volunteers.

Thus, a movement to get golf into the curriculum of gym classes, or through YMCA, Boys and Girls clubs,  and other community service orgs, where large group instruction and use of practice facilities would be the gateway to these youngsters developing a lasting desire to continue to improve and take the game up as they become able to pay is a form of investing now to reap growth later. 

I think it is true as the article states:  that kids and most all people like to learn things together.   Thus, youth group exposure to lessons at practice facilities seems to me to be a key to stimulating renewed participation in golf.  We can offer fun to these kids, if we will have fun with it ourselves.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back