News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Tom_Doak

Fully Grassed
« on: September 11, 2012, 01:30:09 PM »
Word from Brian Schneider is that the final hole at Dismal River was seeded on Sunday afternoon.

Congratulations to Don Mahaffey and to all of our crew for a job well done, as they head out to other destinations.  We had a great bunch of young people out there for the summer, and those are always the projects that turn out best.  And thanks to the membership for paying some guest fees in advance so that we could finish the course this summer.  We hope you will be happy with your decision by this time next year.

Don't ask me when it's going to open.  Everything now depends on the fall and spring weather.  I am sure there will be plenty of opportunity to hit balls around next summer and fall, but my guess on when the course is really in top condition for opening would be pretty conservative ... because you can't push fescue too hard, and because the weather in the sand hills is so capricious.

Mike_Young

Re: Fully Grassed
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 01:35:53 PM »
congratulations guys....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 01:48:14 PM »
Tom,

Let's hope the weather co-operates and the remainder of the grow-in is smooth sailing. I can't wait to see the finished product, the tour we got back in June displayed a golf course full of exciting shots in a truly spectacular setting. Your decision to take the golf course across the road to the river to tackle a real unique portion of land on the property will go a long way towards setting the course apart from the other courses in the sandhills, not to mention the excellent design.

TK
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 01:49:59 PM by Tyler Kearns »

Chris Johnston

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 02:03:02 PM »
The Renaissance team and Don M's crew were terrific and a blast to have around this summer.  Great guys all and they did great work during a hot summer with a tornado added for good measure.  Special shout out to Brian Schneider plus Eric Iverson and Brian Slawnik.

Tom Doak was a pleasure to work with - I can't imagine having this being any more smooth and look forward to seeing him often at this special place.  I'm glad we "crossed the road".

If anyone is looking for a standout irrigation guy, Don Mahaffey...simply...is.  

All heads are in, grass is growing and we are mowing as we move to the next phase of grow in.  

We who remain miss you guys (the crew) as we all grew pretty close.  If any of you guys are reading this...thanks!  Can't wait for the reunion.

You all left behind a unbelievable course and a strong legacy.  You should be proud.

Very special thanks to our members and my team.

Can't wait to play it...again.

Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 04:44:25 PM »
Great news for sure. I can't wait to play it. Many thanks to Tom, Don and all the crew members.

Btw, what are we calling it? ;D

Mark_F

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 04:49:46 PM »
Word from Brian Schneider is that the final hole at Dismal River was seeded on Sunday afternoon.

Congratulations to Don Mahaffey and to all of our crew for a job well done, as they head out to other destinations.  We had a great bunch of young people out there for the summer, and those are always the projects that turn out best.  And thanks to the membership for paying some guest fees in advance so that we could finish the course this summer.  We hope you will be happy with your decision by this time next year.

Don't ask me when it's going to open.  Everything now depends on the fall and spring weather.  I am sure there will be plenty of opportunity to hit balls around next summer and fall, but my guess on when the course is really in top condition for opening would be pretty conservative ... because you can't push fescue too hard, and because the weather in the sand hills is so capricious.

Is this a press release or an internet post?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 04:51:47 PM »

BOOM!!!

Thanks guys.

PS...what does capricious mean?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

David_Elvins

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 04:59:17 PM »
How time flies.  I had almost finished my alternate routing where the 18th green returns to the first tee.

Guess it's too late for that now.  :(

Great to get a bit of insight into the development and construction of a golf course. Thanks for sharing. Look forward to playing.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 06:05:41 PM »

PS...what does capricious mean?

Box of chocolates--mostly the fruit cremes and "mystery fluid" ones.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 06:40:44 PM »

Is this a press release or an internet post?

There's a difference?  ;)

I just thought that with all the chatter about this particular course on this web site, that the guys who actually did the work deserved a public thank you.  I'm not sure who exactly that would be "news" to, but I'm sure we will find out.

Ross Harmon

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 06:49:59 PM »
Great news! Congrats Tom, Chris, Brian, Don and team! Look forward to playing the course sometime down the road...

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 06:54:06 PM »
Congrats all!

Hopefully I can see it in person next year.

Mark -

If you don't find this interesting you may want to check-out the fascinating Bethpage Parking Lot post.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 07:55:20 PM »
I'm headed back to Nebraska next week and look forward to having a steak and a couple of cold ones with the boys from Dismal River. Mark Stencil, Jagger Mandrel, and crew deserve a huge round of applause. We nomads will come and go, but they live it everyday, and they keep it going. The Sand Hills is a wonderful place to visit and play golf, but its a harsh environment and it takes a special breed to make a place like Dismal River special.

One thing I'd add to Tom's initial post. We're always hearing about generation X or Y (or whatever a young person is today) and how they are this or that.... All I can say is, if the future of golf is in the hands of young people like those fresh graduates who made it happen at DR, then we are in very good hands. Those young men showed up.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
Many thanks to all involved in this wonderful project that I think advances the art of GCA.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 07:59:53 PM »
Is the course all fescue like Ballyneal?    I love the way the greens and surrounds are so seamless at Ballyneal, great presentation and playing surface. 

Mac Plumart

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 10:22:10 PM »
The greens are bent, not fescue.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Ben Sims

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 10:29:54 PM »
Don, I hope this is a springboard.  Tom, Brian (both of them) and the rest of the Renaissance guys, nice work.  I can't wait to see it.

JWL

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 10:32:04 PM »
Chris, Tom and all involved....congratulations!  I look forward to seeing the course in the near future.

Brandon Urban

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 10:59:43 PM »
Congrats to all involved! I second Tyler's sentiments. Taking the tour of the course while it was under construction is something I will always remember. Thanks to Eric Smith for hosting an outstanding event that allowed many of us to have that opportunity.

A while back I ran into a guy who was wearing a Sand Hill shirt. I asked him what he thought of the course, only to learn he was one of the founding members. He told me the story of how he was out there during construction when Coore and Crenshaw mowed down what is now the greensite of #2 (one of my favorites) and decided that was where it would go. What a story about one of the neatest greens on one of the greatest courses in the world.

I am hoping, and have a pretty good feeling, that I will be able to tell a story like that in the coming years.
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

Sam Morrow

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 12:09:37 AM »
Now that the course is grassed I can begin my routing for my short course on site.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 12:22:20 AM »
Is the course all fescue like Ballyneal?    I love the way the greens and surrounds are so seamless at Ballyneal, great presentation and playing surface. 

Bill,

Because the Nicklaus course has bent greens, I believe the powers that be felt that members would not be excited about transitioning between bent & fescue greens, which run at noticeably different speeds.

TK

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 12:35:02 AM »
Some final pictures...
(CJ - will burn you a cd w everything)

#1 in reverse

#4-8 transition

#10 with mulch

#14 back tee

#18 back tee

Tom_Doak

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 06:45:51 AM »
Jaeger:

Be sure to copy the home office on a few of those, especially the last one!

John Shimp

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 07:01:35 AM »
That last hole is unbelievable looking!  Dont think ive ever seen one lie more naturally.   Whats the green complex like?

Jim Colton

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 08:10:50 AM »
Thank you to Tom for being so insistent on crossing the road. Otherwise the world would never have that amazing finishing hole!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back