News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMEvensky

Re: Hints that tell one the handicap of a membership at a club.
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2012, 09:15:32 AM »
You can get a good idea from the type of equipment sold in the pro shop--displays of Titleist and Mizuno irons,not many chippers or 9 woods.

Also if the Pro or assistant does more club repair than just re-gripping.WF had (may still have?) a grinding wheel set up.You don't see that at a lot of places.

jeffwarne

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2012, 09:28:09 AM »
1 PGA member for every 25 members and all of them booked
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jud_T

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2012, 09:34:22 AM »
A clubhouse much less extravagant than the membership could afford but a calcutta that might cause you to take out a second mortgage.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

C. Squier

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2012, 09:40:47 AM »
Current / ex touring pros who didn't qualify for the top flight in the Club Championship.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2012, 09:41:11 AM »
How many people are signed up for the  __________ Cup posted on the wall.

Steve Lang

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2012, 11:16:57 PM »
Better yet - no pool or tennis courts.

8) dan, a pool is OK if its used to reduce insurance as a backup fire water supply for the clubhouse..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Ivan Morris

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2012, 03:45:20 PM »
Touche, Dan! It's a golf club, after all. Check out the predominance of blade irons in the bag room?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2012, 12:42:46 AM »
Carry bags, it's usually a decent indicator of how serious the players are. The average club is littered with cart bags and staff bags.

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2012, 07:30:17 AM »
One guy keeps score for the fivesome.  He keeps track of all of the side action and everyone else's bets.  He can shout out the progress of any match without looking at the card. 

He is never wrong. 

jeffwarne

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2012, 08:30:04 AM »
One guy keeps score for the fivesome.  He keeps track of all of the side action and everyone else's bets.  He can shout out the progress of any match without looking at the card. 

He is never wrong. 

The opposite end of the spectrum is the guy who plays by himself,shoots his lowest score ever and says "the caddie kept the score" ;)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jim Nelson

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2012, 08:48:11 AM »
The numbers on the handicap board in the locker room. 

What's a handicap board?
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world.  This makes it hard to plan the day.  E. B. White

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2012, 11:18:17 AM »
How many retrievers do you see out accompanying the members and how many dog bowls are there on the course?

Mark Johnson

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2012, 02:25:27 PM »

What's a handicap board?

Its a large board with the list of everyone most recent handicap.

At American clubs, it is usually found in the locker room as well as near the pro shop/starter house.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2012, 06:49:30 PM »
The number of guys who keep their clubs in the trunk vs is the bag room.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2012, 08:22:32 PM »

Can you explain this one to me?  At least in the US, nearly every club has compulsory club stores for its adult membership.

Jud_T

« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2012, 08:25:54 PM »
The short game practice area is packed yet the range has stacks of balls and only a few takers.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Johnson

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2012, 10:27:05 PM »
one more... the crowdedness of the tee sheet between 5:00 and 7:00 on weeknights.

the more I think about it, this could be on of the biggest ones since this is when workign people make the time to work on their game.

I just checked out our tee sheet from thursday night.   From 5-5:50, there were 22 people playign in 6 groups.   Total combined handicap -- 53 (and that included an 13).

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2012, 10:30:28 PM »

What's a handicap board?

At American clubs, it is usually found in the locker room as well as near the pro shop/starter house.
I think he was being cheeky as handicap boards are very retro these days as everything is generally in the computer and the cloud.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2012, 10:36:05 PM »

What's a handicap board?

I think he was being cheeky as handicap boards are very retro these days as everything is generally in the computer and the cloud.

Seriously.  Cant remember I have ever been to a club without one.   Almost invaribably it is near where you hand in / post scorecards.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2012, 03:29:15 PM »

Can you explain this one to me?  At least in the US, nearly every club has compulsory club stores for its adult membership.

Yes while included in the dues, good players prefer to keep their clubs close at all times in case an offer to play come up or they don't want anyone fiddling with their equipment.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Jason Walker

« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2012, 04:06:38 PM »

Yes while included in the dues, good players prefer to keep their clubs close at all times in case an offer to play come up or they don't want anyone fiddling with their equipment.

Also, as is the case at my place, all the good players are on constantly on the tourney circuit...so the clubs stay in the trunk

Tim Martin

« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2012, 04:50:23 PM »

It only takes one phone call extending a last minute invite to somewhere good and not being able to get your clubs out of storage to make the switch to the trunk. We all know that guys scratch late for a variety of reasons and it is better to be at the ready than have them in the bag room.

Jim Nelson

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2012, 05:35:46 PM »

What's a handicap board?

Thanks.  Yes, I was being cheeky.  At our club, its tough to even get guys to post scores much less have them exhibited.  Perhaps that explains the general lack of scratch golfers, or should I say scratch golfers with handicaps to match.  Next time I try to remember to use of those funny little guys.
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world.  This makes it hard to plan the day.  E. B. White

Dave Givnish

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2012, 08:21:19 PM »
Hey!  Mango scented towels are pretty nice in the summer in AZ. 

Add that there are no cart signage in front of greens, and no iron head sleeves on sale in the shop.

Telltale signs of phoney clubs/courses/facilities:

-Players with oversize golf bags who load them on the cart backwards so their names show or they can show the brand of their bag
-Scented cooling towel handed out behind 18th green

Mike_Young

« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2012, 08:22:39 PM »
And of course....one of the most telling....the number of members who post on this website ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back