News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Leenheer

Regrets
« on: September 08, 2012, 11:36:11 PM »
I passed up playing Cypress Point because it didn't fit my travel plans.

Oak Hill because of family obligations.

LACC & Merion because of short notice.

Please let me know others have made poor decisions as well!
Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Mark Steffey

Re: Regrets
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 11:39:45 PM »
:)

geez.
i buried my father a day early, then drove to new jersey because i didn't want to miss my chance to play baltusrol.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 12:26:29 AM »
Twice I have had to decline generous invitations to play Sand Hills.   :'(

Greg Chambers

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 01:21:01 AM »
No regrets.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Gary Slatter

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 03:04:30 AM »
I passed up playing Cypress Point because it didn't fit my travel plans.

Oak Hill because of family obligations.

LACC & Merion because of short notice.

Please let me know others have made poor decisions as well!
some tough sledding, hope your decison making improves in respect to golfing opportunities.  Once I turned down Pine Valley cause we were going to play Sunday with Buddy and then he had to regret us.  but we played Congressional again so it wasn't a complete disaster.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 03:47:15 AM »
Bill - I'm with you there, a good friend invites me to Sand Hills every year, it will happen soon. Turned down a long weekend at National Golf Links in August with good friend plus a boys trip to Congressional, Chechesse and Kinloch in late Oct, this is a going to be a 2013 trip though!

Wisest turn down? Arrived at Merion at 4pm straight from the airport, had the option of running around the course to fit in the round (@ $220 plus caddie) or play a 4 1/2 hole loop, drinks and dinner on the patio and a proper tour of the clubhouse. This turned out to be a splendid evening and a cherished memory.
Cave Nil Vino

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 07:21:49 AM »
I was on vacation in Oregon in 2009.  Trying to save money, we didn't bring our golf clubs.

Well, we're driving down US101 and there's Bandon.  We stop in, and visit the shop/cafe by the 1st tee at Bandon Trails.  The tee is wide open and calling to us.  Of course, the Bandon staff were amazingly nice and offered to set us up with equipment.

We passed, but I still wish we had taken them up on it (of course, it would have cost us money we didn't have!).

Bill Gayne

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 07:25:38 AM »
Prestwick

Cory Lewis

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 07:30:38 AM »
Back in 2004 I canceled a trip out to Eastern Long Island because I couldn't really afford it, broke assistant pro.   I was going to play Westhampton, Southampton and Atlantic.  Fast forward to today and Westhampton & Southampton are two of the few Raynor's I haven't played and I keep hearing good things about Atlantic!
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Jim Colton

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 09:02:40 AM »
I passed on an invite to Chicago Golf because of a pee-wee soccer game. I still hold it against my daughter.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 09:34:52 AM »
I passed on an invite to Chicago Golf because of a pee-wee soccer game. I still hold it against my daughter.

You'll feel better when you mention it during your wedding speech to your daughter. ;D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 01:44:59 PM by Ian Andrew »
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Nigel Islam

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 10:03:29 AM »
I was in Australia with my wife and I had one day I could play on our trip in Sydney. Trouble was it was not a visitor day at NSW so I played St. Michaels instead.  :'(

Also in my less educated days I went to Monterrey. Spyglass was unavailable so I played Spanish Bay instead, and I chose to play Poppy Hills after my Pebble round because I did not think there was enough time to get up to play Pasatiempo. ??? Still have nightmares about that one.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 10:49:14 AM »
Bill - I'm with you there, a good friend invites me to Sand Hills every year, it will happen soon.

Let me know, maybe I can grovel my way in!

Dan Boerger

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 10:52:46 AM »
A round of golf with Arnold Palmer.

I hope I'm never that shortsighted again!
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Mike_Young

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 11:09:43 AM »
Sometimes the opposite happens.  you end up playing a great course with the wrong people and it's worse than never playing it to begin with.  And I'm serious.  So for me, who I choose to play with has much more to do with "regrets on a golf course" than spending money to travel to play some special course with the wrong group.  JMO.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Jim Colton

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 11:16:45 AM »
A round of golf with Arnold Palmer.

I hope I'm never that shortsighted again!

We have a winner!

Jud_T

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2012, 12:55:26 PM »
Business commitments have prevented me from playing Shinnecock, Winged Foot, Butler, Beverly, North Shore, Glenview and West Bend.  And if that weren't enough, I also had to turn down not 1, but 2 invites to the Masters.   :-\
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Daryl David

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 01:10:51 PM »
Turned down a long weekend at National Golf Links in August with good friend

We missed you Mark!

Ian Andrew

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 01:47:04 PM »
Mine would have been with Moe Norman at Brantford G&CC (with Nick Westlock too), but my employer wouldn't let me go, I regret ignoring him and going anyway...
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Ben Sims

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 02:12:19 PM »
I also turned down an invite to Sand Hills for a three day trip with a member.  I had to move into a new house and rescheduling wasn't an option.  "Life happens" but I fear I'll never be that lucky again.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2012, 07:30:01 PM »
I know a GCA'er who turned down a Crump Cup invite, sadly the follow up invite never arrived.

Daryl - I'm playing with the host tomo, I'll check out your story!

Bill - I cannot think of anyone I'd sooner enjoy and game, good dinner and a bottle of wine with at SH......well the host as well  ;D
Cave Nil Vino

Scott Szabo

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2012, 08:03:39 PM »
Mine involves Sand Hills as well.  Family vacations are hard to work around when they are planned months in advance, and yet another time my daughter's softball tournament. 
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

John Foley

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2012, 08:09:59 PM »

Jimbo - Your a better man for it!!

Sand Hills because I was training for a marathon.

Winged Foot because I already had committed to a buddies trip to AC.

Olympic because had to get back from the west coast for a school concert.

Kittansett because of my daughters softball game.

Last Friday Oak Hill because I did not want to bail on a round with a friend I committed to.

None of these are regrets - just choices - better choices.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Bill_McBride

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2012, 09:58:03 PM »

Bill - I cannot think of anyone I'd sooner enjoy and game, good dinner and a bottle of wine with at SH......well the host as well  ;D

Let's make this happen.  I need a rematch, my choke at the Hook still keeps me awake!

Howard Riefs

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2012, 10:12:12 PM »
Ballyneal. This summer. Twice.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back