News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ivan Morris

An 18-holes in Ireland Worth Crossing An Ocean To Play
« on: September 08, 2012, 12:10:44 PM »
Don't ask me to select my favorite 18 golf courses in Ireland that are worth crossing an ocean to play; doing it would get me into too much trouble! Although picking one's gold, silver and bronze favorite 18 holes in Ireland is probably a more difficult task, I'm prepared to have a go, regardless: (In chronological order) Gold- 1- Doonbeg; 2- Portstewart; 3- Killeen (Killarney); 4- Cork; 5- Portmarnock Old; 6- Sandy Hills (Rosapenna), 7- Dooks; 8- Bantry Bay; 9- RCD; 10- Pormarnock Links; 11- Ballybunion; 12- Waterville; 13- Royal Portrush (Dunluce); 14- Valley (Rosapenna); 15- Portmarnock; 16- Ring of Kerry; 17- The European; 18- Waterville.  
I could have just as easily chosen: (Silver) 1- Portstewart; 2- Old Head; 3- Athlone; 4- RCD; 5- Royal Portrush (Dunluce); 6- Ballyliffin Old; 7- The European; 8- Dromoland Castle; 9- Westport; 10- Mount Juliet; 11- Templepatrick; 12- Portmarnock; 13- County Tipperary (Dundrum); 14- Co. Sligo (Rosses Point); 15- The European; 16- Dooks; 17- Carne; 18- Mahony's Point (Killarney) but I didn't! Plenty of variety there but if you are short of time and can only squeeze in 9-holes, RCD shades Lahinch, Porstewart and Cork for having the best front 9 whereas The European Club, Waterville or Ballybunion's inward runs are my best back 9s. There are so many excellent golf holes and golf courses worth crossing an ocean to play............(Bronze) - 1- Lahinch; 2- Mullingar; 3- RCD; 4- Royal Portrush; 5- The Island;
6- Lahinch; 7- The K Club (Palmer); 8- The Heritage; 9- Enniscrone; 10- Fota Island; 11- Waterville; 12- Actually it's 12A at The European Club - the best darn short hole of the five on the property; 13- Adare Manor Resort; 14- Portmarnock; 15- Enniscrone; 16- The K-Club (Palmer Course); 17- Knightsbrook; 18- Royal Dublin.       
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 06:54:50 AM by Ivan Morris »

Ally Mcintosh

Re: An 18-holes in Ireland Worth Crossing An Ocean To Play
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 03:18:29 PM »
Ivan.... Nice to see the 14th at Rosapenna Valley / OTM plus the 6th at Ballyliffin Old amongst your 36... Choices I don't often see mentioned but I couldn't agree more with how excellent they are.... There's not a hole in there I don't like... Although there's plenty I would have chosen instead (naturally)...

Ivan Morris

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 03:23:01 PM »
Thanks Ally - it's very personal and I'd like to see your 'picks' sometime. It's not that easy an exercise to complete to one's total satisfaction.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 08:55:46 PM »
Ivan:

Interesting that Lahinch rates as a top front nine, but none of its holes make the first or backup 18. 

I haven't played either of the 6th holes you mentioned, but they must be pretty darn good to beat the 6th at Lahinch.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Matt Bradley

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 09:23:25 PM »
Ivan,

Interesting that you say that the inward 9 of the European Club is your favorite back 9 in Ireland. I would disagree. In my opinion, that back 9 does not compare to the stretch run at Ballybunion. In fact I would even say that I thought the Island Club's finishing 9 was superior to the European Clubs.

Matt

Bill Gayne

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 11:47:03 PM »
Below is my list based on courses I've actually played (have not visited Portmarnock or the European Club yet).

1  Doonbeg  (par 5)
2. Tralee (5)
3. Royal County down (4)
4. Old Head (4)
5. Lahinch (3)
6. Royal Portrush Dunluce (3)
7. Ballybunion Cashen (4)
8. Carne (4)
9. Royal County Down (4)
10. Waterville (4)
11. Ballybunion Old (4)
12. Lahinch (5)
13. Dooks (3)
14. Royal Portrush Dunluce (3)
15. Doonbeg (4)
16. Waterville (4)
17. Rosses Point (4)
18. Ballybunion Old (4)

Par 71.

I really wanted to find a place on the list for Enniscrone or Baltray because both are outstanding.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 03:08:16 AM »
you canna go wrong wherever you go!   depends on who you play with of course!
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Ivan Morris

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 04:04:57 AM »
Well said, Gene Slatter! So many good holes and good courses to play - a bronze 18 is now being considered. As far as anyone's favorites' lists are concerned there is no accounting for taste or logic. The 6th at Lahinch is special and I am proud to say I had a significant input into the green location. Mr. Hawtree was planning to put it elsewhere until I made a suggestion at a member's 'approval' EGM, which he graciously accepted. Sven- I agree with what you say about The Island and will make it my business to play there soon. I haven't played The Island for over 20-years and although the vibes are good, my memory is hazy. The 'new' Royal Dublin is another source of potential great holes that I am not as familiar with as I should be.  
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 05:13:10 AM by Ivan Morris »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 07:47:10 AM »
Well said, Gene Slatter! So many good holes and good courses to play - a bronze 18 is now being considered. As far as anyone's favorites' lists are concerned there is no accounting for taste or logic. The 6th at Lahinch is special and I am proud to say I had a significant input into the green location. Mr. Hawtree was planning to put it elsewhere until I made a suggestion at a member's 'approval' EGM, which he graciously accepted. Sven- I agree with what you say about The Island and will make it my business to play there soon. I haven't played The Island for over 20-years and although the vibes are good, my memory is hazy. The 'new' Royal Dublin is another source of potential great holes that I am not as familiar with as I should be.  
Fascinating about the 6th green-site at Lahinch Ivan... Where was the initial location proposed (although I wasn't really familiar with the course pre-Hawtree)? I'd probably pick the front nine at Lahinch over RCD as well but it would be between those two... The back: Ballybunion, Carne, Portmarnock... Probably one from those 3.... Difficult to look beyond both 3-7 & 12-16 at Baltray for favourite stretches but there would be plenty others in the mix including 5-8 at Murvagh / Donegal.... Favourite Pat Ruddy work - Portsalon which is a beaut and I also like the routing at Ballyliffin Glashedy for the way it takes you up in to the dunes for drama once one on each nine... But I do like The European a lot (just not so keen on 17)... Course I haven't visited that I most need to: Narin & Portnoo... Best par-5's: 15 at The Island, 6 at Lough Erne, 8 at Murvagh, 5 at Strandhill, 13 at Carne....

Bart Bradley

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 07:58:57 AM »
I don't think there is a better #15 than the Island...I have played all the others mentioned so far.

Bart

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 08:39:51 AM »
Thanks for the photo Bart... For me I tend to have 15 at The Island, 5 at Strandhill and 8 at Murvagh slug it out for gold when it comes to par-5's... Strandhill has the coolest fairway and green but doesn't actually play as well as the other two which I find very strategic... I'd give it to 8 at Murvagh on a photo finish... Do you have a picture of The Island from the tee?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back