News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stephen Davis

I got a hole-in-one on a Par 4
« on: September 04, 2012, 12:59:25 PM »
I was up in Utah visiting my in-laws this past week and I decided to get out for an early round. When I showed up at the course I had decided to play at, it turned out that they were having a tournament, so I went to a little random course nearby to get nine holes in. I played the back nine. It happened on hole #16. The score card says the hole measures 310 from the back tees, but I measured it with my rangefinder to be 259 to the flag. I hit a solid 3 wood to the left of the flag (there was a cliff on the right) and the ball got a nice bounce to the right and rolled into the hole. This begs the question, if a hole-in-one is made and no one is there to see it, does it make a sound?

Here is a picture of the hole

Kalen Braley

Re: I got a hole-in-one on a Par 4
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 01:05:11 PM »
Stephen,

Awesome shot!!!!

I did a write up on the Mountain 9 at Cascades a few years ago.  The course is an absolute blast to play as you now know!

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,36430.0.html

That 16th hole sure has changed a bit...

George Pazin

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 01:06:18 PM »
This begs the question, if a hole-in-one is made and no one is there to see it, does it make a sound?

Yes, there is a sound, it is the collective groan of all those who don't have an ace. It used to be just Shivas, but he's not allowed to groan anymore.

Well done, Stephen, congrats.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Stephen Davis

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 01:08:45 PM »
Stephen,

Awesome shot!!!!

I did a write up on the Mountain 9 at Cascades a few years ago.  The course is an absolute blast to play as you now know!

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,36430.0.html

That 16th hole sure has changed a bit...

I skipped the front, because it is exceptional poor, and excepting the 11th hole (which breaks nearly every rule) the course is just all together so bad that it is actually kind of fun to experience.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 01:11:42 PM by Stephen Davis »

Stephen Davis

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 01:15:56 PM »
Kalen,

I just read your review and you got it exactly right. It is interesting to see that there has been so much more growth on that hole and I love the picture you took looking back. I am glad that the hole decided not to slide off the mountain just yet :D

Mark McKeever

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 01:26:27 PM »
An albatross with no witnesses?!?!  Ouch.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Stephen Davis

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 01:28:46 PM »
An albatross with no witnesses?!?!  Ouch.

Mark

I know! I waited for 30 mins on the tee to see if anyone would catch up. I eventually had to go, so I just went and finished. When I finished I saw people on the 14th hole, so I would have been waiting forever.

David Davis

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 02:24:36 PM »
Stephen, that's awesome and amazing. I've yet to have one on a Par 3 even and you've done par 3 and 4. Most likely you will get one on a short par 5 before I get my first. The hole looks super tight and slightly intimidating as well or is that the picture playing with us?

As for witnesses, just you and the big guy up above, or girl or whatever you want to believe in.

Ok so the question is, how many shots are you going to give me when we play?

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Stephen Davis

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 04:25:50 PM »
Stephen, that's awesome and amazing. I've yet to have one on a Par 3 even and you've done par 3 and 4. Most likely you will get one on a short par 5 before I get my first. The hole looks super tight and slightly intimidating as well or is that the picture playing with us?

As for witnesses, just you and the big guy up above, or girl or whatever you want to believe in.

Ok so the question is, how many shots are you going to give me when we play?

The hole is quite tight. Kalen has a great picture of it looking from the green to the tee on his review of the course. As for strokes, don't let this fool you, I can throw up some big numbers with the best of them!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 04:32:37 PM »
Its absurdly tight.

Last time I played it, I hit 7 iron and then wedge for safety as I have a tendancy to lose my woods to the right.  Its easily the tightest non par 3 I've ever played...

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 04:49:46 PM »
Its absurdly tight.

Last time I played it, I hit 7 iron and then wedge for safety as I have a tendancy to lose my woods to the right.  Its easily the tightest non par 3 I've ever played...

# 10 at Alpine

Brian Colbert

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 05:17:20 PM »
Doesn't count.  ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 05:37:33 PM »
Congrats.

Note to Kalen. The green on the hole is wider than the fairway Patrick points you to at 259 yards from the tee.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 05:40:39 PM »
Pat if its the 10th at ACC in Demarest, NJ.....I'm afraid its even tighter than that one.

The one at ACC is 35 yards at its widest, and 15 yards at its most narrow!!

This one in Utah is 18 yards at its widest, 14 yards at its most narrow!!   ;)

David Davis

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 05:57:49 PM »
Ok just saw the photos. Masochist golf at it's best, especially with the one mile walk to the first tee haha, 100 degree heat and no water on the course. I can just hear the power lines a cracken. If there is one thing I hate it's visible power lines at golf courses, even worse if they come into play. Otherwise I think I'd enjoy playing the course quite a bit. What's the elevation? I bet the ball flies forever. However, Utah is not in my top 100 golf destinations I need to hit before I turn 44 (1.5 years away) so it might have to wait until my next life where I've vowed to become a Morman with multiple gorgeous wives. (please no offense if you've beat me to that one and are doing that in this life, I take my hat off to you)

Still Steven an amazing feat! What's even more amazing is that no-one on this site ever seems to miss the greens, even when hitting passing trucks, animals or players on other holes. I'm kind of getting worried about doing battle with these guys. Perhaps it's safer just to invite everyone to my home course, play the host, not play and just enjoy watching the struggle in windforce 8 and horizontal rain. Throw in free drinks for anyone breaking 80 from the tips to make it even more fun. That goes for the scratch guys as well.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 08:53:21 PM »
Pat if its the 10th at ACC in Demarest, NJ.....I'm afraid its even tighter than that one.

The one at ACC is 35 yards at its widest, and 15 yards at its most narrow!!

This one in Utah is 18 yards at its widest, 14 yards at its most narrow!!   ;)

I'm still hitting my driver.

Don't forget that the 10th at Alpine is steeply uphill

noonan

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 10:40:09 PM »
Congrats!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back