News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

David Harshbarger

Re: Most underrated country for golf
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2012, 07:01:59 PM »
But the one we all keep leaving out is Canada.  I don't know why it is so easy to forget.

Summed up in one sentence why Canadians can't stand us Americans.  We just never notice them.

Exactly why I left them off my list; I didn't notice they weren't excluded!
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Scott Warren

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2012, 08:19:37 PM »
I'm surprised to see a few nominating England. It's certainly not underrated anywhere in GB&I or in Australia, from my experience.

But it may be so in the US, and the US does provide the game with half its participants.

Greg Gilson

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2012, 09:52:04 PM »
I would have never thought of England as 'underrated" or "flying under the radar" which is sort of how i personally interpretted the initial question.

I recently returned from a week or so in France (Morfontaine, Chantilly, St Germain, Fountainbleau, Golf National, Hardelot & Le Touquet). I find myself constantly shaking my head trying to work out how to adequately answer the question "Do they actually have golf courses there?". Still don't have the right words. I thought the courses, club atmosphere and accessibility were uniformly FANTASTIC. This country must be the biggest sleeper, I thought.

Then i realised that after returning from a week in Japan (Kasumagesecki, Kawana, Naruo & Hirono) about a year earlier i was doing exactly the same thing. I still cannot find a post round beer that tastes better than a huge Asahi after the obligatory bath....oh, and the courses were pretty good too!

What's more, a year before that after 2 weeks & 10 rounds in South Africa, i had exactly the same "under the radar" perception. In all honesty, I don't think any of the SA courses are in "World Top 100" category (by whatever measure) but many were spectacular, unique and lots of fun. The apres-golf options are hard to beat, though.

If Sweden & The Netherlands & Canada (quick preview there in 10 days!) are in the same category as the above 3, I've got to re-plan my next couple of years! Thanks for the opportunity to post (PS. This is my first post after a couple of years "lurking").

David Harshbarger

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2012, 10:10:31 PM »
Greg,

Great first post.  Welcome aboard!

Favorites?  Do tell....

The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 03:12:26 AM »
Calling England underrated is like calling Cruden Bay a Hidden Gem.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2012, 04:11:39 AM »
That is a great comparison, I should say. More golfers know the Trump course than Cruden Bay - until you come to this site, then fortunes reverse :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tyler Ince

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2012, 04:23:37 AM »
Maybe not the most but a good one is Argentina. Very affordable and lots of options. When I was there a few years ago most courses were around the $20 range.
'til the Road Hole....

Joey Chase

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2012, 03:11:18 PM »
I understand what people are saying when nominating England.  When you talk to the dreaming golfer, he always want's to go to Ireland and Scotland.  It's more rare than one might think for, at least the less affluent, to want to play in England.  The depth of English golf is immense as well.

I enjoy the fact that you never have too far to drive to get to a fantastic golf course in the Netherlands and Belgium, but do those countries have the depth of France?  I don't think so.  The problem with France is the quality is so spread out throughout the country.  Paris has a killer collection of golden age designed heathland courses.  It is a shame that, for most of the golfing world, in a few years their first glimpse of french golf will be Le Golf National.  Not even in the conversation as one of the ten best courses in the country.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2012, 07:09:44 PM »
I am not sure where Sweden came in the 'Underated" table but I have just read 'The Swedish Golf Experience' by Peter Corden and Gene Oberto. Looking at some of the photographs,  I'm sure I would think highly of some of them.

Our GCA walking fraternity would love the Swedes attitude about carts.

Bob

Anders Rytter

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2012, 02:33:35 AM »
Bob,
Both Denmark and Sweden are esentially cart-free. there are exceptions but you wont see many.

Anders Rytter

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2012, 03:07:37 AM »

Anders
There has been a few mentions on the forum over the years, of wonderful heathland courses in Jutland.

As I said, they intrigue me.

A couple of Jutland heathland course pics (Not the best, but what i have)

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2012, 03:49:16 AM »
Which course is that?

I have one from Nordvestjysk:

UIrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Anders Rytter

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2012, 04:30:33 AM »
Which course is that?

I have one from Nordvestjysk:

UIrich

First three Silkeborg, last one Lübker
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 07:18:53 AM by Anders Rytter »

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2012, 06:19:19 PM »
what about Canada?

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2012, 07:03:19 PM »
I'll also nominate England... we have a little trip put together next year and getting the group to add any English courses was like pulling teeth.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2012, 03:17:00 AM »
England by a mile - I often speak to golfers visiting England for the first time who've done 6 or more trips to Scotland and Ireland. I still maintain 3 days on the Kent and Sussex links and 3 days on the heaths blows away anything on offer in Scotland or Ireland.
Cave Nil Vino

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2012, 04:24:18 AM »
With 'secret' knowledge of Scott's next trip, I suspect I have an idea of where he is heading with this thread and I look forward to subsequent course tours...

From a general public point of view, and assuming that for an area to be considered underrated it needs to consist of at least a good handful of tracks, then there wouldn't be many/any Aussies with the London Heathland on their itinerary, esp. before the Open rota, Scottish and Irish links courses.
@theflatsticker

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2012, 05:35:12 AM »
Come on Scott - put us out of our misery - which is it?! I have a feeling you will argue for France...

Me too, based on the tweet from Clayts that clearly inspired this thread!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2012, 05:48:32 AM »
@michaelclayto15
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

David Davis

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2012, 06:02:03 AM »
How could England get to participate in this thread? The fact that more Americans don't come there? Well, England is not relying on golf tourism the same way Scotland or Ireland are. I mean as beautiful as Scotland and Ireland are the only thing there besides golf are sheep so they promote themselves far more. I don't think I've ever seen England actively promoting it's great links or heathland courses. It's clear they don't really want the golf tourism.

So England is out, nothing underrated about it. Otherwise we should throw the US into the mix. As good as it is, perhaps it's still the most underrated country for golf. I bet most other Americans would agree with me. We also produce nearly all the best modern architects and possess more than 50 of the Top 100 Courses in the World according to us. (making these comments with my US passport against my heart while singing America out loud)
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Scott Warren

« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2012, 07:34:22 AM »
Gents,

I did indeed start this thread on the back of Clayts' tweet, but I have no country in mind myself.

I haven't played nearly enough in France to mount a case that it's deserving of the mantle, but on the strength of the second-hand knowledge I have, I suspect it may be.

South Africa might have a case to make - the country Brett is referring to. Sadly that trip will be light on for great golf, though I will be playing Durban CC a couple of times, am hoping to visit Mt Edgecombe to see if Bob Huntley's old mate is still there and Philip Gawith's recommendation of Southbroom, which looks like a fun course in a gorgeous setting.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2012, 07:55:30 AM »
The United States.

There are at least 1000 courses in the USA which would be at least be strong candidates for top 100 in the lists of any other country in the world.  You get down to #100 in Scotland, England, Ireland, Australia or even France and you are talking about courses that (even thogh they might be lots of fun) are only above average, and would not get rated in the States as worth listing.

I'm sure that if any of the globe trotters on this DG took the time to spend a week in e.g. Indiana (even without being chaperoned by Barney) they would have their socks blown off, gca wise at least....

IMO

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Bill_McBride

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2012, 08:28:58 AM »
But the one we all keep leaving out is Canada.  I don't know why it is so easy to forget.

Summed up in one sentence why Canadians can't stand us Americans.  We just never notice them.

How accessible are the top courses in the Netherlands?

I love the fact that one can actually play the top courses in the UK, unlike the top courses in the US. 

David Davis

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2012, 10:55:50 AM »
Bill,

They are accessible to a certain extent. You guys have connections here but you'd have to ask. The difficulty is that you can't really call up and reserve in advance, although this also depends on how nice the caddie masters are feeling I suppose. The old private courses in NL mostly only let their members reserve tee times 7 days in advance.

I recently helped a gentleman from the US who wanted to play here. We played my course and I was able to arrange the others for him but this was only done once he arrived believe it or not, living on the edge. He had not been able to get responses. One of those courses was arranged on a Friday but we couldn't get the tee time until Friday morning.

So yes, in principle they are all accessible to a degree if you are persistent, patient have a little bit of luck and or connections. Of course that could be said for most of the world. I'd say Noordwijkse and Kennemer are the friendliest of the top courses. None will let you play in the weekend unless you are with a member.

Rich, the land mass in the US would be more like putting all of Europe into comparing plus if you took just the UK I'd bet the Top 100 which for a large part would be links golf courses and those that weren't most likely heathland your guess would be severely challenged. Although I know that there are many great parkland courses in most states, even the public stuff is pretty darn good. Although not as good as the less than 1% of the world's courses that are true links courses.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back