News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Mark Bourgeois

I'm not a huge fan of the 16th but feel great pain over any changes to this course that go beyond lengthening, restoration of heath, and deforestation. If they feel the need to destroy Woking's current 16th green couldn't they just restore it?

http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/Article/New-sixteenth-for-historic-Woking/2537/Default.aspx

Robin_Hiseman

Re: Would someone please tell me Woking's 16th green is not being blown up?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 10:59:21 AM »
Play it soon Mark.  This time next year it will be just a memory.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Notts; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Fran, Epsom, Casa Serena, Hayling, Co. Sligo, Strandhill, Carne

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 11:04:43 AM »

MMM  I'll miss the old tees more, I've never seen one that flowed out of the previus green so seamlessly, that’s the feature I’d like to see retained.

The pond was put there as the Club was developed as a Golf and Curling Club.

I’m guessing that the 60’s extension to the green is the raised part, it was never one of the subtle delights of Woking and didn’t quite fit in. The old 16 wasn’t a bad hole but let’s see what they can come up with.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 11:20:22 AM »
Who's coming up with it?... Martin Ebert?

EDIT - Should have read article... It's Tim Lobb...

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 03:15:56 AM »
Mark,

Played Woking last week. The new 16th hole is under way and plays from right to left across the line of the current hole. In talking with the pro they feel the current hole is not a good one. They don't like the green and feel it is not in keeping with the rest of the course. The new hole plays away from the road which is another problem for the club with the current hole.

By the way... there are also plans to change the 9th hole by moving the tee location far to the right and taking out the dogleg. The club has purchased a plot of land specifically for this purpose.

Mike
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 04:08:22 AM »

By the way... there are also plans to change the 9th hole by moving the tee location far to the right and taking out the dogleg. The club has purchased a plot of land specifically for this purpose.

Mike
Those plans have been on the table in one form or another for quite a while, certainly since 2007... I seem to remember that it might improve the hole but it would add significantly to the walk from the 8th green to 9th tees... Although I'm sure there's a way of minimising that... What did you think Michael?

Paul_Turner

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 08:10:08 AM »
What's the history of this green?  The article says it was extended in the 1960s but is it basically 100+ years old?

For better or worse, there is a lot of tweaking going on on the classic British courses.

I remember the 9th green as being relatively new?
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back