News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

What is the most under-rated course attribute on this site?
« on: September 02, 2012, 08:41:32 AM »
For me it's drainage.  It's a science that we never discuss, but course is doomed to fail if the architect doesn't get it right.

Keith Doleshel

Re: What is the most under-rated course attribute on this site?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 09:30:19 AM »
Good point Dan.  I live in Northern California, where the weather is pretty good year round, but it is amazing how some courses here are pretty close to unplayable during the winter months.  It is almost as if drainage was an afterthought when those courses were built.  I imagine improved drainage techniques have come about since a lot of those courses were constructed, but still there seems to be little effort to improve it at many places.  I know its expensive, but the product offered at courses which have poor drainage is subpar at best.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 09:47:46 AM »
Grassing Lines

They have the biggest impact on how a course plays, more than bunkers.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 10:42:46 AM »
How about quality of the rater experience?
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Mac Plumart

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 10:55:12 AM »
Enjoyment by the masses.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 10:56:10 AM »
Grassing Lines

They have the biggest impact on how a course plays, more than bunkers.

+1.

Ben Sims

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 10:59:48 AM »
Enjoyment by the masses.

Stephanie Meyer has sold a ton of books and the Twilight Saga is an unabashed hit.  Does that mean it is better literature than something by F. Scott Fitzgerald? 

The masses aren't always right.  The market doesn't always dictate the best.  Popularity by the masses is just as shallow a concept as it was in middle school.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 11:03:03 AM »
Not if you are building a business, Ben.

Ben Sims

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 11:09:08 AM »
Not if you are building a business, Ben.

Darn, I thought we were talking about course attributes.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 11:14:58 AM »
Who interacts with the attributes of a golf course?

Why are golf courses built?

Who are golf courses built for?  If it isn't the masses, then your course will, at best, struggle to survive.

Therefore, my answer to the question of "What is the most under-rated course attribute on this site" is "Enjoyment for the masses."

If you don't agree, that is fine.  But you don't have to be a sophmoric jerk while voicing your difference of opinion...or do you?

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 11:19:07 AM »
Mac, today, most courses are built to make a profit, so think your comment is correct.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 11:23:59 AM »
eye candy and golf carts
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tim Nugent

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 11:29:13 AM »
Hot beer cart girls
Coasting is a downhill process

Ben Sims

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 11:31:44 AM »
Who interacts with the attributes of a golf course?

Why are golf courses built?

Who are golf courses built for?  If it isn't the masses, then your course will, at best, struggle to survive.

Therefore, my answer to the question of "What is the most under-rated course attribute on this site" is "Enjoyment for the masses."

If you don't agree, that is fine.  But you don't have to be a sophmoric jerk while voicing your difference of opinion...or do you?

Mac,

I don't know what you're upset about.  This is called debate.  Sarcasm and humor works to a point.  Anyway, we digress.  

The OP asked what course attributes are underrated.  I made an argument against your statement that "enjoyment by the masses" wasn't a course attribute.  You further cemented my point that confirming that popularity is a business issue, not a course issue.  

So, to reiterate.  Popularity means nothing to me.  Ballyneal nearly went under.  Yet it is the second best course I have ever seen behind NGLA.  So in my argument, the masses are woefully under educated when it comes to good golf.  Sheep follow mag rankings, buddy's opinions, etc. just like they believe everything on FoxNews and MSNBC.  Popularity is not a course attribute, it is a business attribute.  

I'll use a Dan King tactic.

1.  "Will it live?" is not the end question in the world of today.  I can assure you that some of the courses of mine that have survived are inferior to High Pointe or Beechtree, which were relatively affordable.  Survival is a more complicated question than (quality architecture / price) ... there are all sorts of other factors including location, competition, debt, management skill, etc.  -Tom Doak

Mac Plumart

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 11:36:20 AM »
Now that is a solid response.  Thanks, Ben.

I'm not 100% sure how to do what Dan King does.  But nevertheless, here is my response to what Tom said on the thread you quoted from...

1.  "Will it live?" is not the end question in the world of today.  I can assure you that some of the courses of mine that have survived are inferior to High Pointe or Beechtree, which were relatively affordable.  Survival is a more complicated question than (quality architecture / price) ... there are all sorts of other factors including location, competition, debt, management skill, etc.

Tom...I totally understand the complexity of the question.  In fact, I analyze aspects of this question every day...that is the business I'm in.  I disagree with you that "Will it live?" is not the end question in the world of today.  And there is no question that architecture is not the only aspect that determines if a course will "live" or not.

To your point on ego and money driving people to build golf courses, I agree.  At its core, people with this mindset just might be the reason I wanted to start this thread as those people might not get the point of golf.

But to your last sentence..."However, if you can try to create a great course WITHOUT spending more than the competition, maybe that will work."

I think you may have absolutley hit the nail on the head.  In fact, what ways can people get this done?

With that, I'm off to play some golf. 

8)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 11:38:37 AM by Mac Plumart »

Sean Leary

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 11:53:35 AM »
Fast greens....A green on the fast side makes a lot more greens more interesting than when they are slow than vice versa....

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 12:11:08 PM »
Another one for grassing lines...

John Kirk

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 05:22:59 PM »
I had all morning on the golf course to think about it.

The most underrated attribute is walkability, specifically, the quality of the course walk.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 05:52:26 PM »
I'm also in the grassing lines camp, and add turf species and cultivar selection, in harmony with a suitable and compatible maintenance meld.

Maybe that points to the talent of the Super, as an underrated attribute- if that is an attribute and not a decision management factor.

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Phil McDade

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 06:30:29 PM »
I'd agree on drainage -- rarely discussed, and little understood, it is one of those things that's hardly noticed when done well and can ruin a hole when done poorly.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 10:33:08 PM »
I think this group under-rates ROUTING.  Far too often, it seems that we get focused on pictures of holes but not how they connect together.  Several on this site praise Tobacco Road, for example, but the back nine routing is a mess.

For me, the two most important criteria to determine great golf are ROUTING and the GREEN COMPLEXES. 

Bart

jim_lewis

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 10:51:38 PM »
Agree with drainage and routing:

Placement and depth of bunkers.

recoverability
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 01:28:20 AM »
My vote goes to general course conditioning. 

It makes sense as the site is about the architecture, but whether most people want to admit it or not a course needs to be in good condition to be considered “great.”

I appreciate there are threads about the local courses run by a farmer in the fly over states and threads about the hidden gems.  That being said I feel it’s safe to say there are numerous people who would not visit (or at least would not think as highly of) a course where the tees are torn up, the greens have numerous ball marks, the divots in the fairways are not filled, and other general conditioning is not at a high standard.

Michael George

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2012, 05:02:12 AM »
Enjoyment by the masses.

Stay hot Mac.  You are 2 for 2.  This site discounts successful golf courses sometimes with "most golfers do not understand good golf."      

I think part and parcel with that is the other attributes of a club other than the golf course.  A great club with great people is really important and rarely discussed here.  For example, there are several golf courses in northeast Ohio that I enjoy more than my club's course, but I honestly wouldn't belong to any of them over my club.  Just don't need to deal with the "high society" issues that really hinders a lot of places.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 05:03:59 AM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

David_Elvins

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2012, 07:02:19 AM »
The importance of great architecture's ability to challenge the best players.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back