News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nick Church

Sea Ranch Golf (Northern California)
« on: August 31, 2012, 12:17:25 PM »
Just a wild shot to see if anyone has any insight on Sea Ranch Golf Links in California.

Some of the pictures of the terrain & surrounding coastal area are stunning.

Garland Bayley

Re: Sea Ranch Golf (Northern California)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 12:42:15 PM »
Archives search finds that Huckaby loved it, and that Tepper has played it.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 12:56:22 PM »
Yes, I have played Sea Ranch a number of times over the past 25 years, although I have not been there in 4 or 5 years. At one point, my wife & I were thinking of buying a "getaway" home there. Sea Ranch is a lovely spot about 115 miles north of San Francisco, just below the Sonoma-Mendocino County line.

The original nine was done by Robert Muir Graves in the 1960's and features a lot of "amoeba" shaped greens and bunkerirg. It weaves thru homes, but it does not feel claustrophobic. Unfortunately, only one hole (the 8th on that nine) gets anywhere near the ocean.

The second nine was likely laid out by Graves at the same time, but was not built till the late 1980's (I think). By that time, wetlands issues made building the 2nd nine more difficult. Stream beds and marshy areas, that would likely have been piped and/or drained in the 1960's, had to be preserved when that nine was built. Because of this, the second nine has a number of forced carries. It is also much more exposed to the wind.

The course is spread out, but it is walkable. The sand in the bunkers is very course. I would leave your favorite sand wedge home when playing there. SR has a decent range and a nice short game practice area.  

http://www.searanchgolf.com/

Neal Meagher, one of our GCA's who sometimes posts here, did work for RM Graves. If he see this, has may be able to add some further info.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 01:57:05 PM by David_Tepper »

Neal_Meagher

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 03:02:00 PM »
David Tepper is right, I am very familiar with the Sea Ranch Golf Links as I was with the Graves firm from 1988 until 2000.  And forgive me if some of this is in earlier posts regarding the golf course.

The Sea Ranch is a 10 mile long development that straddles US highway 1 along the northern Sonoma coast of California and features some of the most beautiful scenery you will find.  The company now known as Castle & Cooke which is owned by David Murdock (Sherwood CC) was called Oceanic California Incorporated (or OCI) in the 1960's when the planning for this development began.  It also coincided with the nascent beginnings of the California Coastal Commission.

Original plans were for something like 4,000 homes (I think) but with so much opposition to the project the total build-out now is 2,400 homes.  Also much more of the property had to be dedicated to public access to the beaches than originally planned but this really is how it should be.  Several noted architects of the time were responsible for defining the "Sea Ranch" architectural style that recalls vernacular agriculture buildings clad in weathered and graying redwood with distinct peaked roofs supported by, often, post and beam construction.

While there is 10 miles of wild coastline, the developers allotted only a small portion of the property at its extreme northern edge to the creation of a golf course which would prove to be one of Bob Grave's favorite and most unusual golf courses.  While the greens were indeed the "wavy gravy" style, to borrow a phrase from Mr. Tom Doak's Confidential Guide in describing Grave's courses, the remainder of the course was very unique.  The bunkers were mostly flattish with small wee islands of turf within many of them.  The look worked well with that of the building architecture and with the crashing surf and tortured monterey cypress trees, the course was unique among the Grave's canon of work.  Unfortunately, as mentioned above, only the par 3 8th hole ventured close to the edge of the ocean as the developers gave all the prime bluff top sites they could to homes.  Pity that.  Imagine if they had had even one or two holes that had homes overlooking a golf hole AND the Pacific Ocean........think Pebble Beach on that one.  The original 9 holes were completed and opened around 1972-74 and it remained a nine holer until we were finally able to complete the back 9 in 1995 within the corridors that had been laid out by Bob originally.

So David is right that more stringent regulations imposed by Fish and Wildlife and the Corps of Engineers meant that many small tributaries that would have easily been piped in the past had to be left open which did lead to some very, very odd holes with strangely placed layups.  Additionally, it was no easy task to try to match up the new work with the 20 year old original.  I feel we could have done a better job of that to this day, to at least try to allow one to overlook the wetlands that we had to leave and which do engender a feeling of differentness from the first 9.

The owners had hoped that by completing a full 18 they would finally get a good dose of play, but unfortunately that has not happened.  At least as of a few years ago, they are only getting the levels of play that the 9 hole course attracted owing to its very remote location and the low population near there.  It is about an hour and a half drive on mostly windy roads just to get to the largest nearby city, Santa Rosa.  Consequently, the course has been cash deprived its entire existence which is what has led to the woeful bunker situation with very dark and coarse beach sand being used.  Additionally, tree growth has been rampant and has diminished almost completely any sea views from many of the holes.  It is now an over-watered parkland style course lined in many areas by too many blocking trees.  The homes are not really that much of a bother as they at least are attractive to look at and generally follow Bob's very conservative spacing on building sites relative to golf corridors.  

The place could be so much better.  It is beyond high time for a reconstruction, renovation, restoration or whatever you want to call it.  The "Sea Ranchers" as the locals are called need to get over their tree lust and let the place be reopened up to the ocean, the tees, bunkers and greens could use a lot of love and the overall look of the place would benefit from a fresh approach to maintenance.  It should have been Bob Grave's Bandon Dunes but with the real estate driving the train it never had the complete opportunity to do that for him.  However, if anyone is ever anywhere near Mendocino or the Marin or Sonoma coast they owe it to themselves to see the place, even if just to see the scenery and how the land plan devised by Lawrence Halprin works so very well to mask the fact that it is a real estate development.  It is one, but a most unusual one.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 03:11:05 PM by Neal_Meagher »
The purpose of art is to delight us; certain men and women (no smarter than you or I) whose art can delight us have been given dispensation from going out and fetching water and carrying wood. It's no more elaborate than that. - David Mamet

www.nealmeaghergolf.com

Nick Church

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 03:19:06 PM »
Sorry all - I quick searched "Sea Ranch" & didn't see an accurate hit in the first few entries.  Thanks for the insights, nonetheless.

Dan Grossman

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 05:20:14 PM »
If you happen to be in the area and would like to play golf, then it fits the bill.  I wouldn't recommend to anyone that they go out of their way to see the course.  It is a long way from SF and difficult to get to.  Its better than Bodega Bay, but that isn't saying much.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 08:15:12 AM »
Johnny Miller once opined in the late 1970's that if your could lay out Sea Ranch and Bodega Harbor end to end it would be a US Open quality course.  That was hyperbole, of course, but SR (and the old BH 9-holer) were the closest you could get to links golf in California in those days.

As Neal says, it is a long haul from Civilisation (and I do not consider Santa Rosa to be yet "civilised") to play a game of golf, but if people will hop onto private jets to play Askernish, why not take the scenic 3 hour drive from the City once or twice in your life?  The course is worth that, particularly if you do it right and rent a shoreline house in the development to stay a few days, ideally with the current love of your life.  There are worse things in the world to do than surround a couple of rounds over a very interesting golf course with walks along a secluded beach, sunsets with fine Napa and/or Sonoma wines, occasional views of humpback whales surfacing near the shore (if you are lucky), late night log fires and.......
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Rob Kiesler

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 09:37:55 AM »
I played the Sea Ranch sometime around the year 2000. I would concur with the previous comments in that the course is not anything special. If you are envisioning a course with sea views from most locations on the course, you will be disappointed.

I usually can remember the features and routing of a course after having played it just once - and I remember almost nothing about this course. I do remember that we walked the course and it was the opposite of firm and fast (mushy and slow?). It was quite foggy the entire 3 days we were there. We were the only golfers on the course which I believe is not that uncommon a situation. When we called the pro shop before making the trip up, they seemed genuinely excited that we were making a tee time!

If you are looking to spend some time in a beautiful locale with some spectacular scenary, and with the opportunity to get in a round or two, it is worth the trip. If you are only looking to play a course with great GCA and spectacular ocean views, it would be best to go somewhere else. Might I suggest heading south to Santa Cruz/Monterey Bay? I think there might be able a couple of courses worth playing there ;-)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back