News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phelps Morris

The Architect's ballots...
« on: August 09, 2003, 08:05:18 PM »
Just received Golf Mag and thought the section that revealed the aggregate rankings of the 14 architects on the panel (or the 'real experts' as the mag refers to them) was interesting...

Note: they only shared their top 10 plus some additional 'over' and 'under' rated courses (see below for list)

Architect Rank (Golf Rank)
Top Ten
1. Cypress Point (2)
2. Old Course (6)
3. Royal County Down (10)
4. Pebble (7)
5. Pine Valley (1)
6. Shinnecock (4)
7. Augusta (5)
8. Pinehurst (9)
9. Muirfield (3)
10. Dornoch (16)

"Overrated"

Architect Rank(Golf Rank)
31. Sand Hill (11)
25. Merion (14)
76. Pacific Dunes (19)
56. Kingston Heath (21)
41 Prarie Dunes (23)
53. Crystal Downs (25)
79. Fischer Island (29)
54 Chicago (31)
63 Casa de Campo (63)
35. Hirono (NR)
98. New South Wales (43)

"Underrated"

Architect Rank (Golf Rank)
29. Lahinch (73)
32. Congresional (86)
44. Harbour Town (67)
45. Spyglass (81)
46. Scioto (71)
47. Peachtree (87)
49. Prestwick (NR)
50. Kiawah (79)
51. Shadow Creek (89)
55. Baltusrol (Upper) (NR)
57. Torrey Pines (South) (NR)

In your opinion, what factors account for the (in many cases large) disparity of opinion?  

What are the 'real experts' seeing in the above courses that the 'average' rater is not?

Conversely,  what things may the 'Average' rater may see that 'expert' may miss?  

Regards,

RPM

David Wigler

Re:The Architect's ballots...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2003, 08:30:50 PM »
One thing it proves is that Doak still has not been forgiven for The Confidential Guide!
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2003, 08:54:18 PM »
I'm certainly no fan of rankings but where the hell is NGLA? Any list that's that large that doesn't include NGLA is for shit! However, the one that really gets my notice on that list is Royal County Down--a golf course that should be seriously considered high up on any ranking!

Mark_Fine

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2003, 09:04:22 PM »
Just goes to show once again how subjective these lists are regardless of the quality of the panel.  All these "experts" aren't even close to agreement!  

T_MacWood

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2003, 10:32:49 PM »
The architects thought Congressional was #32 in the world and Torrey Pines #57?  Either Rees has more than one vote or he had both in his world top 10.

paul cowley

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2003, 10:54:57 PM »
....surprised with the mention of lahinch and the exclusion of ballybunion........
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Norbert P

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2003, 01:51:08 PM »
Any list that's that large that doesn't include NGLA is for shit!

Scientifically, one mistake makes the whole test invalid.  

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2003, 04:45:43 PM »
David, you're probably right about that.

One thing this does show you is what happens when architects aren't allowed to vote on their own new courses, but ARE allowed to vote on their redesign work.  I suspect Torrey Pines and Baltusrol Upper get pretty good marks on Rees Jones' ballot.

The fact that Rees and Bobby both get a vote is undoubtedly helping Spyglass Hill and Peachtree, too.

In contrast, of the clubs where we consult, I don't think I have any of those courses ranked higher on my own ballot than they are in the final list ... execpt Holston Hills, which I put in my own US top 100 but which is still missing on GOLF's list.

Ross_Tartan

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2003, 08:35:28 PM »
Tom,

I'm stunned that you could make such accusations against two of the ASGCA's finest, most accomplished members who have done so much for the game, built design careers from scratch and always displayed such a balanced approach to life and work. I'm sure that Rees would never give Torrey Pines or East Lake or Bethpage anything but the score those courses are deserving of, regardless of his personal involvement. Also, don't forget, Rees is now an Old Tom Morris Award winner, the ultimate validation of great personal and professional integrity!

Ross

paul cowley

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2003, 09:11:06 PM »
.....hear ,hear .......
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back