News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Sweeney

Tree Information & Pictures
« on: August 07, 2003, 08:11:30 AM »
I played yesterday in Westchester (I prefer not to identify the course) with a family friend. Redanman would have a field day with the number of trees. Yes, I am a bit wild off the tee, but when my dead straight, 70 year old - 30 year member, greens committee member, knows where every tree is on the course member, is hitting trees that extend into the fairway on many shots, it seems pretty simple that too many trees have been planted. In one case, he told me how they removed a series of bunkers on the corner of a dogleg since a tree had grown up, so they did not want a double hazard. They just can't see it. We talked a little about Winged Foot and Oakmont removing trees, but I was a guest, I am not a professional, so I did not want to express my true feelings that the course has Fenway like potential, but you will never get there with those trees.

Thus, can you point me to any visual before and after pictures of tree removal programs that I could send to him. The two that come to mind, but I could not find are Gib's pictures of The Cal Club before and after, and Oakmont's Golf Digest article.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 07, 2003, 08:23:18 AM by Mike_Sweeney »

Dunlop_White

Re:Tree Information & Pictures
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2003, 11:08:39 AM »
.....................Before.......................

Because of tree plantings and overgrowth, trees typically outline today's greens. A backdrop of trees visually assists golfers with shot direction and shot execution. These trees navigate the golfer by operating as points of visual reference. They effectively orient the golfer of the shot required. Furthermore, tree backdrops evoke a sense of containment which is reassuring to the golfer's eye.

......................After.......................

A green without any visual assistance requires a golfer to possess the talent of feeling the depth and distance to the hole. This effect can be achieved by removing backdrops of trees in favor of vast expanses of open space. Whether the view is of an ambiguous skyline, an open body of water, or a stark span of terrain, golfers lack visual orientation and must trust their sense of depth in the approach shot to the hole.
As flagsticks will typically appear as part of the distant horizon, even accomplished golfers will reach for a stronger club. Approach shots consequently may carry the green despite all the available yardage information at hand.
Plus, there are many agronomic benefits resulting from tree management behind greens….

........................Before........................

Prior to Restoration...

........................After..........................

Here, architect, Kris Spence provides the same type of visual scope and depth without a backdrop of trees and other vegetation.

..........................Before.......................

cluttered and messy!

...........................After........................

Clean!

This "then and now" photo comes from Brad's book, Discovering Donald Ross. If you need ammunition for tree management, consult one of Brad's books.

sweeping vistas!

tree-lined fairways?

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2003, 11:37:05 AM »
Mike:

One of the best sources of before and after pictures is "Pine Valley Golf Club, A Chronicle" published in 1982 and written by Warner Shelly. I'm especially fond of how it depicts the famous #8 hole and how much more challenging/interesting the little pitch shot to the green looks without all the trees behind.
Tim Weiman

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2003, 01:12:16 PM »
Thank-you.

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2003, 01:15:01 PM »
I know we are discussing to tree or not to tree here.....but look at the bunkers in the final pictorial example and look how the original interest has been groomed out of them through years of maintenance.  

When looking at the clutter example, I hadn't even noticed the grat ground feature to the right middle. Trees are nice in the forest but they are definately overrated on a golf course.

Dunlop_White

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2003, 05:23:32 PM »

Good question! What were these clubs thinking in the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's with all the tree plantings and overgrown vegetation?

The design intent and your architectural heritage were not exactly the talk-of-the-town then. Planting trees came rather naturally for many well-intentioned green committeemen.

1.......The installation of golf course irrigation triggered the tree-planting barrage. These irrigation systems were single-row, down the middle of the fairway.  The length of the water's "throw" gradually became the lines for fairways, particularly since the turfgrass was naturally greener in these areas. Thus, broad fairways became thin, and their elaborate curvatures evolved into straight lines. In response, greens committees began planting substandard varieties of trees in the prior playing lanes, those lateral areas that could not be irrigated to cover/camouflage the less attractive brown turf.

2......... The Dutch elm disease also served as a contributing factor. The American elm was a beautiful hardwood with unobtrusive root zones and high canopies. As the American elm perished, awareness of attrition escalated and the practice of planting replacement trees became the rage. A countless number of replacement trees were also planted in close proximity to healthy trees "in case" they too perished.

3..........Golf course "rankings" and the "Pine Valley Effect" have also inspired tree plantings. The top ranked course in the country serves as an architectural model for all others. Naturally, the elite courses will be emulated. Such is the case with Pine Valley Golf Club, which most publications perennially anoint as number one. Because one hole cannot be seen from another at Pine Valley, countless clubs have initiated tree planting programs between holes in attempt to create the Pine Valley framework.

4......Club officials can also be blamed for precipitating the tree-lined, parkland look. Often the contention is for safety between adjacent holes to reduce the risks of liability.

5......Other times committeemen plant trees to defend par.

6......Beautification committees also plant trees and shrubs to adorn the golfing grounds.

7......Club officials also started planting trees to honor and remember departed loved ones and significant club figures.

8......Likewise, superintendents routinely plant trees to attract beneficial wildlife habitats.

These were the motivations!

Dunlop_White

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2003, 05:30:45 PM »
Dan,

The "before/afters" and "then/nows" are as follows respectively:

1. Roaring Gap
2. Mimosa
3. Roaring Gap
4. Skokie
5. Old Town

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2003, 05:43:16 PM »
The pictures of Oakmont from the early days are fantastic, and I would love to see the place since the recent de-treeing. Although I hear the new elevated tee for #4 is shocking!

Dunlop_White

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2003, 02:29:22 PM »
I heard NBC just did a new "fly over" via helicopter at Oakmont for TV.......make sure to see that on NBC during US Amateur week. The new/old look is very revealing!

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2003, 06:50:38 PM »
What a great post, and thanks for the time and energy Dunlop.

I know this maybe a hard for some of you East Coasters, but go to the Pasatiempo post on trees and look to see what trees are doing to the 10th there too. Also enjoy with complete amazment how Pasatiempo's most severe critics "WAFFLE" about how the trees on the 10th are so vital of its strategy--choke choke!

I love trees, especially beautiful ones that belong withthe nature of the course and that involved in its evolution as part of Natures grand plan. But we both know it takes a village, and in this case, an over-exhuberant, one to quickly turn that village over!

Jeremy_Glenn.

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2003, 07:38:22 PM »
Tommy Naccarato posted, perhaps a year or so ago, bar none to this day the greatest "before-after" tree removal comparison.  I would love to get my hands on it as well (Tommy?.... hint hint...  ;))  It was two pictures of a golf course in california.  In the first you see this boring tree lined corridor, in the second you see sweeping hillsides, fescues, etc...

Can you post it again, tommy?

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2003, 09:31:07 PM »
Jeremy, I'm having trouble with whatimages and course. Could you refresh my memory?

David Kelly

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2003, 09:47:59 PM »
Tommy,
Probably Cal Club.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Jeremy_Glenn.

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2003, 05:03:02 PM »
I think David is right, Tommy.  the Cal Club rings a bell.  I think the title of the post was "In praise of the Cal Club" or something like that.  The hole was slightly downhill, slight dogleg right.  Removing the trees revealed a hillside to the left and other views.  The before and after looked like two different holes.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2003, 05:09:30 PM »
It was. Thanks I remember it now. I'll have to ge my old computer out to see if I still have them on there.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2003, 05:48:43 PM »
Mike:
Track down Tommy Elliot at Aronimink.  We took out over 500 trees but they are not missed at all.  Tommy might have some before and after photos.
Best
Dave

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back