News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

A Mini Photo Thread - The Guelph Country Club
« on: August 17, 2012, 07:15:39 PM »
This is my first attempt at a photo tour; please excuse its many shortcomings. My home course near Toronto celebrated its 100th birthday this year.  The 9-hole Guelph Country Cub was established in May 1912. To this day, it is not clear who designed the course, but some of the old timers say they heard rumours it was Stanley Thompson's older brother, Nicol. The course was private for some 80 years, but has been public/semi-private for the last 20. It had an early moment of glory way back in 1916, when it hosted a special match between Canadian George Lyons (winner of golfing gold in the 1904 Olympics) and US Amateur and Open champion Chick Evans.  They played the 9 hole course twice, and Evans scored a 69 to beat Lyons by 6 strokes.  The course was built on a farmer's field, but starting in the mid 1930s and throughout the 40s and 50s, hundreds (maybe thousands) of trees were planted. Otherwise the course has not changed much at all; according to the long time pro, the first 8 holes are exactly as they were when the course first opened; only the 9th hole was changed, in 1995 (to accommodate some real estate development/housing), but it still utilizes much of the original fairway. I find the course fun to play, and it has many interesting holes/features that smack of the very early days of golf/design (e.g. two blind shots on one hole, the Par 5 2nd.)  The greens are not particularly inspired; let's call the contours subtle, and they almost all slope from back to front. You'll also notice the almost complete lack of fairway bunkering,which I don't miss at all. There are two sets of back and middle tees; the course is a  par 71, and tops out at 6,100 yards.  The green to tee walks are very short, the whole course quite compact. I like very much that the course is 100 years old and virtually unchanged; Mr. Anonymous designed a course that has provided many generations of local golfers fun and challenge and good fellowship, and what more can you ask. Some photos:

The opening hole, a 370 yard Par 4. Gentle, but if you don't drive it 270 it is best to lay up shorter off the tee, because others wise there are downhills lies and bumps and rolls to deal with.

The second is a lovely 510 yard Par 5; a good (blind) drive will get you over the hill (first picture) but unless you bomb it about 300 yards, your 2nd shot will also be blind (second picture); from there if you decide to lay up, you'll see this (third picture):

The 320 yard Par 4 3rd hole plays back up the hill. (First picture).  A decent drive will leave a short pitch.

The 4th is a tough hole - it plays on the first 9 as a 440 yard Par 4 (and on the second 9 as a shortish par 5).  The challenge is that. while the hole plays downhill, the land slopes back up just around where most tee shots will land. I have never had less than 200 yards in, to a punch-bowl like green.

More later, I'm afraid I will time out.

Back - the 5th is a shortish Par 4 that I couldn't get a good picture of. The 6th and 7th holes are back to back Par 3s, playing (on the first 9 set of tees) about 158 and 185 respectively. Here's a picture of the 6th:

The 8th is an interesting 320 yard Par 4, interesting in that it is a 90 degree dogleg right which you can't 'cut off'. The best play is to aim for the 150 marker and hit it there. (Bad photo - as was the one of the uphill shot you have left.)

I wish I had a good picture of the 9th; the two tier severely sloping green is the best on the course. I was below the hole and hit my first putt about a foot past, and it rolled back/down the slope to within an inch of the hole (and the greens are not fast).

Anyway, that's the mini tour. As I said to Ron, I know now how hard these are to do well.

Peter

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 08:09:17 PM by PPallotta »

Ronald Montesano

Re: A Mini Photo Thread - The Guelph Country Club
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 07:26:31 PM »
Can you time out?

This thread is excellent; great first effort, Pierre.

Does the course have width? The trees are tall and sometimes appear to obstruct things a bit. How is it for driving the ball?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 07:40:40 PM »
Thanks much, Ron - that's kind of you. I haven't had my own camera since the digital age, and certainly have never brought one ontp a course; I took a lot of poor pictures I had to discard.

No, no problems with trees really, and the fairways and roughs are of standard width (much like a couple of other Guelph area courses I play), though if you hit it really badly you are always in the trees.  The real issue -- and I can't speak with any insight on this -- is the drainage. There is rarely puddles/standing water, but on the other hand the course -- except when we've had weeks without rain -- always seems "moist". I don't think they overwater; it just feels like it must be a very heavy/clay-ey soil that no one ever amended in any way.

As I say, one of the reasons I enjoy it is that it does fill - except for the trees - unchanged from the original, for better and worse.  The course website used to not that the Scottish immigrants to the area had the land available to build 18, but chose to build 9 -- and they got it down very quickly. It's an interesting snapshot of what golf was like (what folks wanted and/or lived with) back then.

Thanks again

Peter

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 07:46:39 PM »
I just realized how close you are to us. We need to get the Toronto-area (Guelph included) guys and the WNY fellow together for some border wars. Kevin and I are clearly outmanned on our own, but if we get some of the Rochester fellows involved, maybe we can go 4 v. 4 or 6 v. 6 or something.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Steve Wilson

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 08:12:58 PM »
I would imagine the interclub match with the Ghibellines is an historic showdown.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 08:43:12 PM »
I just realized how close you are to us. We need to get the Toronto-area (Guelph included) guys and the WNY fellow together for some border wars. Kevin and I are clearly outmanned on our own, but if we get some of the Rochester fellows involved, maybe we can go 4 v. 4 or 6 v. 6 or something.

John Lyon says he's not interested.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 09:15:25 PM »
As in, he wouldn't want to play for a team that would have him as a teammate?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Phil McDade

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 09:15:47 PM »
Peter:

Well-done; nice thread.

You're Canadian? ;D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 09:17:32 PM by Phil McDade »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
Peter,

After you tell Phil that you're a Canuck, tell us more about hole #2...does the fairway send balls off to the left or right? That's always my fear with blind shots...you hit that great shot, then find your ball in the rough, a bunker or behind a tree, all because of the fairway slope.

And with #3, you can get your drive up onto the rise? Seems that it would be a blind approach if you don't get it up on the ridge.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 09:33:06 PM »
Phil - yes sir, a polite and understated Canuck!! (My voting pattern here would probably put me to the left of Ralph Nadar down there  :))

Ron - interesting question. No, the fairway will accept a good shot and keep it right on line throughout (without providing any roll, however).  It is something, however, that you don't see often (or at least, I don't), and no matter how often I play it the hole is still 'intimidating' and 'uncomfortable" when I can't see the 'target'.

Peter

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 09:34:20 PM »
Peter, let's set a date.  I'd love to join you for a round at GCC (or anywhere else for that matter).

Dan Boerger

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 09:08:02 AM »
Peter - Great write up and photos - thanks for posting. My father passed away a couple years ago, but well into his 80's he would play a home-and-home with some curlers/golfers from The Guelph Country Club. He always had great things to say about the course and now I know why.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 09:34:15 AM »
Dan - thanks, and thanks for sharing that about your dad and the home-and-homes; that's really neat to know, and makes me glad I posted the thread. Was your dad in Ontario or upstate New York? What was his home course?

Mark - thanks. I get small windows only once in a while, but next time I hope to have a few days advance notice and will certainly put out the word; hopefully or schedules can match up.  (We can even add Ron to the mix, and you can carry us both to victory over the Yanks!)

Peter

Dan Boerger

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 10:09:12 PM »
Peter - From middle age on, my father lived in the Utica, NY area. Curled out of the Utica Curling Club. He was a member of a golf club in Clinton NY called the Skenandoa Club.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

David Harshbarger

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 04:19:03 PM »
Peter,

Thanks for sharing your home course.  As a fellow GCaer playing from an old 9-hole course I share your pride in a course that has, for many decades, afforded fun, recreation and comraderie to generations. 

If ever I find myself in the Guelph area I would enjoy a trip around your track.  Should you find yourself in Saratoga, NY area please let me know and I'll happily have you out to my little 9-holer.

Thanks again for sharing.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back