News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Braunsdorf

Historic Aerials in Queens, NY
« on: August 24, 2012, 01:32:18 PM »
While looking for an aerial of the original Fresh Meadow (AWT), I panned out and was looking around the local area.

There was a golf course that was on land now occupied by St. John's University. 

The earliest aerial I can get is 1954.  By that time, it appears the golf course was/is done.   

What course was this? 

Fresh Meadow was north of here, Kissena Park (Van Kleek) Bayside (Mackenzie) and Oakland (Raynor) were further north of here.  I think Pomonok (Emmett) was also north of where the LIE runs today, so that would be north of the original site of Fresh Meadow as well. 
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Craig Disher

Re: Historic Aerials in Queens, NY
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 01:50:33 PM »
Dev Emmett's Hillcrest GC.

Doug Braunsdorf

Re: Historic Aerials in Queens, NY New
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 07:32:06 PM »
Thanks, Craig.  

I stand corrected--Pomonok was south of the LIE, just to the east of where Queens College is today.  There is a public housing project and a cooperative on the site.  

Emmet's Arrowbrook was just west of here, roughly to the west of Main Avenue where it intersects with 69th.  Queens Village was a little south of this, bordered by Union Turnpike on the south, the marshes on the west, and Vleigh Pl on the east.  I am not sure how far north the property extended.  I believe Jim Kennedy had a picture of the routing, and the design of the holes looks very, very strong.  

Historic Aerials does not go earlier than 1954 for this area of LI, so the Emmett courses are unavailable here, but if one types in "Bayside, NY" (about 4 miles east), one can see Mackenzie's Bayside (a rectangular piece of property with very few bunkers), Clearview (William Tucker) is just north of this, and if you go a little more east, Raynor's Oakland, which looks stunning.  

There was an old thread from Brad Klein from 8! years ago, my first season on GCA:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,13086.0.html
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 07:38:43 PM by Doug Braunsdorf »
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back