News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Don Hyslop

Parks Canada announced today that it is looking for a private operator to take over the operation of both Highland Links Golf Course and the Keltic Lodge in  Ingonish, Cape Breton.
http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/business/129294-parks-canada-seeks-operator-for-highlands-links-golf-course

A couple of questions immediately come to mind; 1. What will this mean to Green Fees- will this course still be one of the best buys around? and 2. What will it mean to the overall conditioning of the golf course? In recent years Parks Canada has been going out of their way to improve the course was this just a prelude for leasing it out to the private sector?
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Dan Herrmann

Oh no...

Mark Saltzman

Oh no...

Oh no?

I think this is great news.

John_Conley

So will it be Kemper, Troon, or Trump?

Aidan Bradley

Off the three, my guess would be Kemper since they are all ready involved with Cabot links.

Howard Riefs

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 03:51:44 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Wayne_Kozun

I think this is great news as well.  Parks Canada has shown the course a little bit of love in the last few years but this is after decades of neglect.  I think a private operator would do a far better job at this on a regular basis.  With Cabot Links now open they will get more visitors and if the course falls into disrepair it will get some noise.

I believe the current green fees are $89+ tax so I am guessing the all in cost is about $105.  That is a bit cheaper than Cabot Links so I wouldn't have a problem with them raising the price a bit, with the hope that some of that would go into more money spent on maintaining the course.  For visitors paying an extra $20/round isn't going to make much difference and then can give a break to locals they way that Cabot does.

Dan Herrmann

OK - I'm convinced.  Great posts...

Don Hyslop

For those who played Banff before and after Fairmont took over, how did the golfing experience change if at all?
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Dan Herrmann

Don - Comparing Fairmont to Kemper is like comparing Yugo to a Porsche.  (I'm definitely NOT a fan of Fairmont)

Don Hyslop

Re: Parks Canada Looking For Private Operator to Take Over Highland Links
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 09:51:10 AM »
How strong are the rumours that Kemper is interested in Highlands?

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 08:20:11 AM »
Don,

With them involved at Cabot, it would seem logical that they would have interest in Highlands Links. That property just needs: A CADDIE PROGRAM of quality, better marketing, and some strong capital improvement dollars to restore what has been a long slide in maintaining the presentation levels one expects at the pricepoints they charge. The golf value, especially since Ian Andrew's involvement, is superb. The lodging aspect needs some help.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 08:25:25 AM by Kris Shreiner »
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Ian Andrew

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 07:43:19 PM »
Many have trumpeted the future ... I really hope you're right ... for the community's sake.

The factor that may play a massive role in the future of the course is the fact that the Keltic Lodge may be linked to the course as one single combined long-term lease. Then you can say good-bye to everyone's list of candidates ...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 09:17:34 PM by Ian Andrew »
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 07:59:39 PM »
Ian, can you explain that last part re the Keltic Lodge?

Have a great time out there in September. Very jealous!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 08:02:01 PM »
I'm back to "Oh, no!"

Remember, the USA doesn't have a monopoly on messed up politics.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 03:20:11 AM »
Does this mean that the private investor could circumvent the "union labor" on the course?

That could lead to some local fall out I would imagine? Although the town would probably just be happy with the jobs even if the pay wasn't nearly as high. When I was there this summer one of the local members was talking about how the unionized labor rates made it very challenging to keep the course up because overhead for labor as a percentage maintenance was so much higher than the other courses on the island.

Ian would obviously know whether that is accurate better than anyone having put so much effort into restoring the course . . .

Cabot Links and Highlands are both on Cape Breton - but it's a pretty long trek from one to the other. And while Highlands has a few great holes and Thompson did an excellent job with the routing on that property, based on one round there this summer I'd have to say it does need a lot of love and it will not be an easy walk for most visitors.

If Cabot Links end up with 2 or 3 courses then there will not be a lot of reason to leave Inverness and explore the rest of the island.

Hopefully someone with deep pockets and a love for this Canadian gem with figure out a way to make the numbers work.

Greg McMullin

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 06:33:00 AM »
Rob, while I would agree that walking Cape Breton Highlands Links isn't the easiest walk in golf I would respectively disagree that there are only a few great holes. I would suggest there are many great holes. My own list of great holes at Highlands Links includes 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,13,15,16,17,18.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 08:27:20 AM »
Greg, 10?

Robert Thompson

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 07:11:59 PM »
I don't think Kemper Sports has any involvement with Cabot Links -- it is run by Ben and his wife, not Kemper.

However, that's not to say Mike Keiser wouldn't be interested -- though I doubt the hotel would capture his imagination. The original building has character, but needs a huge investment. The rest could be ripped down without issue.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Dick Kirkpatrick

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 08:14:24 PM »
Dead on Rob, and Ian's comments on the lodge are correct also. That building would drag any bottom line into oblivion.

However, given the remote location of Highland Links, it is imperative (IMO) that there are rooms and dining facilities available.

If the facilities and golf course are not top notch, condition wise and service wise, it will be difficult for the knowledgeable golfer to drive past Cabot Links and drive the considerable and somewhat risky drive up to the Highlands.

jeffwarne

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 08:16:53 PM »
Dead on Rob, and Ian's comments on the lodge are correct also. That building would drag any bottom line into oblivion.

However, given the remote location of Highland Links, it is imperative (IMO) that there are rooms and dining facilities available.

If the facilities and golf course are not top notch, condition wise and service wise, it will be difficult for the knowledgeable golfer to drive past Cabot Links and drive the considerable and somewhat risky drive up to the Highlands.

I was just there, and couldn't keep the Dirty Dancing song out've my head.....
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 09:06:25 AM »
But that is not just a boring drive on an interstate - the drive (aka the Cabot Trail) is spectacular and is one of the top 10 drives in North America.  Highland Links/Keltic Lodge actually has many more attractions for a non-golfing spouse than Cabot Links including quite a good spa.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2012, 10:18:58 AM »
risky drive?  Maybe in snow, and I know that my nighttime drive from HL to Cheticamp scared the hell out of me, but during the day, the Cabot Trail is one of the world's great drives!

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2012, 11:08:55 AM »
Robert, as per Kemper's website........

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2012, 12:29:29 PM »
Cabot Links isn't a private club so that is incorrect to start with.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back