News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Ezekowitz

(OT?) Best Way to Get a Confidential Guide?
« on: December 18, 2012, 01:16:52 AM »
Apologies if this is naive, but where is the best place to get a copy of the Confidential Guide? Is it just going through one of the sellers on Amazon?
I think it would make a pretty solid birthday present to myself. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to buy the original as I was five when the last edition came out...

I tried Harvard's libraries, but in one of the University's biggest oversights, they don't have it among their 20+ million volumes.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 01:18:41 AM by John Ezekowitz »

Joe_Tucholski

Re: (OT?) Best Way to Get a Confidential Guide?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 01:39:09 AM »
Here's a thread with a list of libraries that have copies.
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,37116.0.html
Try and get an interlibrary loan...might cost you a few bucks though.

If you want to buy a copy but amazon prices are a bit high you can wait as Tom has said a new edition is in the works.
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,52790.0.html

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 02:13:20 AM »
barnes and noble has some, lowest is $265, next lowest over 450

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 07:52:13 AM »
John,

It's a fabulous book, but I certainly wouldn't pay up for it now that a new edition is in the works.  I paid top dollar for mine about 5 years ago.  I love it and continue to go back to it as a resource, but I feel kind of like a sucker now.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Cliff Walston

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 12:20:57 AM »
I bought mine a few months ago through Abe Books. 

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=confidential+guide+doak&n=100121503&x=0&y=0

There is one on there for $235.  I have a different perspective than Jud.  I am eagerly awaiting the new edition to compare how Tom's perspectives of various courses have changed, which renovations/restorations were and were not successful, etc.  So for me, I really think having both versions will be more interesting than just having one.

Obviously $200+ is a lot for a book, but I love my copy and Tom's statement of at least two years on the new edition was two years too long for me.

Cliff
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 12:23:28 AM by Cliff Walston »

Bill Brightly

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 09:44:48 PM »
John,

It's a fabulous book, but I certainly wouldn't pay up for it now that a new edition is in the works.  I paid top dollar for mine about 5 years ago.  I love it and continue to go back to it as a resource, but I feel kind of like a sucker now.
[/quote

Politely calling BS on that post, Jud. Would you sell your old copy for $350?

Jud_T

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 10:17:06 PM »
John,

[/quote

Politely calling BS on that post, Jud. Would you sell your old copy for $350?

Well no, particularly since I paid $700.  I will however sell you an option for $50 to buy it for $300 once the new one is in my grubby paws....  ;)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Bill Brightly

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 10:20:53 PM »
Jud,

Ok, that really IS top dollar :)  Would you sell it for $700 and promise not to buy another old edition with the cash?

Jud_T

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 10:22:26 PM »
Yup.  I've read it cover to cover several times over and I'm willing to wager the new one will become a reality.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 11:12:43 PM by Jud Tigerman »

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 05:14:22 AM »
Jud,
I'm surprised you don't want to hold onto your first edition as it seems like fun to be able to compare and contrast the two books. Would the first edition not even become more valuable given its relative scarcity? If Bill does not scam it from you feel free to contact me and I will be very interested in a purchase or even a gift!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Jud_T

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 05:28:40 AM »
I seriously doubt that the first edition will go up in value once the second comes out.  It's valued for it's content more than as a collectible IMO and that content will be instantly dated (plus I essentially know it by heart at this point).  Of course there's still a market for betamax and cassettes... ;)

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 07:29:46 AM »
My parents recently picked one up for $5.00 at a used bookstore.  They hunt golf books as a hobby, probably twice a week on average and it was the first one they have ever seen at a decent price, they don't over pay.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Paul Carey

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 10:44:22 AM »
My parents recently picked one up for $5.00 at a used bookstore.  They hunt golf books as a hobby, probably twice a week on average and it was the first one they have ever seen at a decent price, they don't over pay.

Tell them I will pay them $12.  100% profit.  You can't beat that!

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 03:07:53 PM »
They are book pickers they know value, they gift but they don't sell.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Jim Colton

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 03:14:49 PM »
I have an extra, near-mint copy that I'm planning to sell for charity in the very near future.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 03:15:15 PM »
Mike,

I had a similar experience a while back but paid $10. Felt like I was stealing. Couldn't wait to get out of the store and drive away before I got arrested. Subsequently gave it away relieving my guilt. Don't feel guilty not being willing to lend out my only remaining copy.
Tim Weiman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back